Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Bilateral TKR Ice machines - opinions please.

KL Rio Verde

Country
United States United States
Hello, May Marvels!
My bilateral TKR surgery is actually happening! It was scheduled for May 21 and I was nearly certain it would be postponed due to Covid 19, but Arizona just opened up elective surgery, so it's on. I have a question.... There seems to be some controversy about icing machines. I have one, and was going to borrow another from a friend. What is the consensus on their usefulness?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@KL Rio Verde
I have moved your post from the May Marvels thread, because discussion about ice machines would have derailed that thread.
The team threads are primarily to allow you to see who has had surgery the same month as you. Discussion of issues, comments, and questions regarding recovery must be kept in your individual threads.

There really isn't any controversy about using ice machines. people who have used them say they are excellent.

Since you already have one, it would be a good idea to borrow another, if you can.

There are other methods of icing - I used frozen gel pads.
This article explains about icing:
Ice to control pain and swelling

It's a good idea to elevate your legs at the same time as you are icing them:
Elevation: the do's and dont's

Here are a couple of other articles that you may find helpful:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

pamsknees

Country
I have 2 breg polar cubes for my bilateral knee replacement in Mar. hands down they were the most important thing I got for recovery. My surgeon told me ice packs work as well but I insisted on getting these having heard what a difference they make. For me being able to load them up with ice packs so they’d stay cold all night was so worth it. Ice packs work great but you have to change them every hour. I used mine all day & all night for 3 weeks , then all night until this week( 7 weeks). They are great for pain relief & I feel that they allowed me to be off pain meds earlier than I would have otherwise. My insurance paid for them but even if they hadn’t I’d have paid out of pocket.

Rockgirl4

Forum Advisor
Country
As someone who had major pain for 4 weeks after my right TKR, I can easily say my Bregg Polar Cube ice machine was a lifesaver. The pain pills barely took the edge off (my situation was unusual, so don't read anything negative into that :) ), and the ice machine helped tremendously. It helped most at night so I could relax and sleep more than an hour at a time. I'm almost 1 year post-op and still use it on occasion for increased swelling in my other knee that needs replaced.

Ghost Rider

Country
When I had my shoulder scoped the doctor ordered a "Game Ready " ice machine and it also applied compression. I was going to ask for the same thing when I do finally get my knees done. Hopefully the insurance will cove it for a few weeks.

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there!

I too had the Cryo Cuff & it was sooo good... I fell in love with it from day one! It helped my pain better than anything.
I had my TKR last October & it’s been amazing...
I forget i’ve had it now!! Do follow the BoneSmart advice & you will be fine! Hope all goes well xxx

Ghost Rider

Country
I just ordered this with extra jel packs. I can use it now and I like not being hooked up to a cooler. I still may ask the insurance about the Game ready but it is 2K+ so I won't be buying that.

Last edited:

Rick951

Country
@Ghost Rider I think you only rent the Game Ready. I contacted my Surgeon about a Game Ready for my next PKR. They are going to make the arraignments for the rental. If insurance does not pay for it, I will use HSA money to pay for it.

erichknipp

Country
Hello, May Marvels!
My bilateral TKR surgery is actually happening! It was scheduled for May 21 and I was nearly certain it would be postponed due to Covid 19, but Arizona just opened up elective surgery, so it's on. I have a question.... There seems to be some controversy about icing machines. I have one, and was going to borrow another from a friend. What is the consensus on their usefulness?
Hugely valuable. My two cents:

- Get both the frozen gel pack and the polar cubes (you will probably want 2 of each given you're "ripping the bandaid off" with a bilateral TKR)
- The frozen gel pack is more intense cold, but only lasts about 15-20 minutes. It is perfect for using after physical therapy or any activity that has you on your feet for a little bit.
- The polar cube is perfect for longer icing sessions, like when you're using the CPM machine or overnight. I use my polar cube overnight all night, every night and then several times for a couple hours during the day when I am on the CPM machine or just if I feel like I need it. The polar cube is cold but by definition not as cold as the frozen gel pack (after all, the water is moving).
- For the polar cube I highly recommend you keep a big cooler full of ice in the room for easy refilling. Whoever is taking care of you - and absolutely you will need someone who really loves you to do this - should reload with ice from ice machines or the store every day or every other day. The polar cube goes through ice pretty fast. I find that I need my wife to reload me about every 4 hours when I am using it overnight.

Good luck!

Eric

Summer2020

Country
yes yes yes!! I loved my polar ice machine.

Tip! Instead of using bags of ice, and filling it with water like the instructions said. Use bottles of frozen water, have at least 8 per machine so you can use 4 at a time and trade them out. Just put 4 frozen bottles in it, and water to the line, and it will last much much longer and you don't have to keep changing out ice and buying bags of ice.

I used the Dasani water bottles, 4 of them fit perfectly.

erichknipp

Country
yes yes yes!! I loved my polar ice machine.

Tip! Instead of using bags of ice, and filling it with water like the instructions said. Use bottles of frozen water, have at least 8 per machine so you can use 4 at a time and trade them out. Just put 4 frozen bottles in it, and water to the line, and it will last much much longer and you don't have to keep changing out ice and buying bags of ice.

I used the Dasani water bottles, 4 of them fit perfectly.
I tried this trick but it’s not as cold as using ice. Still works in a pinch.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
VSing
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom