Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Gotta admit I’m scared!

Take a Knee

Country
United States United States
Left knee TKR scheduled June 11th. I’ve been through 12 years of epidurals and pain ending in a back fusion and four years of painful knees. You’d think I wouldn’t be so afraid of pain but I’m scared as to HOW BAD it could be.
Truth now: was the pain A: worse than you imagined B: Better than you imagined or C: as expected???

erichknipp

Country
Back fusion is supposed to be way more painful. My pain from TKR is about what I expected, maybe a little better.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Everyone is different so this is a hard question to answer. Some people actual have little pain and others a whole lot. The good news is, it’s temporary, as you heal, it gets better.

Follow the Bonesmart Recovery Guidelines and you will have a less painful recovery.

Some things we do in recovery causes unnecessary pain, so watch your activity level and don’t do anything with a PT that causes anything more than minimal discomfort. “No pain, no gain” has no place in this recovery.

Tykey

big-cheese
C or sometimes virtually none (as long as you get your painkillers right)
The thing to remember is that with a positive attitude, you will always think the post op pains are not at all like the endless grinding pain pre op.
It should be looked at as a "good" pain. Try to think of it as something which is a small price to pay to get well again. It's soon gone!!
On the other hand, if you fear and anticipate the worst, that's what your brain tells you, hence the worst is what you get.
Be positive!! Knock it dead

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Truth now: was the pain A: worse than you imagined B: Better than you imagined or C: as expected???
Pre-op pain is bad, crippling, horrible, demoralising, and only gets worse. Post-op pain can be as bad, sometimes in the first days. Your body is shocked -- someone has attacked you with saws, hammers and other assorted weaponry, cut bits of you off and hammered foreign material in. It's no wonder it's a bit discommoded!!

But the key fact is that the pain gets BETTER.

One's condition post-op is sometimes worse than pre-op for a few days or up to a MONTH later. One has to learn to roll with the punches, to relax, take medication, let the body do its thing and heal. It will do this all on its own. PT can be helpful with this process, but the key element is time.

But it will happen. Millions of TKRs are done every year; this wouldn't be so if it didn't work.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It sounds as if you are worried about post-op pain, @Take a Knee . Of course you will have some, but there are many ways of controlling pain and your pain should not be unbearable.

Have you looked at the section about Pain Management (in the blue bar at the top of the page)?

There are two good things about post-op pain. First, it will be decreasing every day, unlike pre-op pain, which gets worse.
Second, You will no longer have that awful bone-on-bone pain that feels like a giant toothache.

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Take a Knee I found it helpful reading other people's recoveries, you will notice in the majority of cases pain at the beginning is awful but controllable with the correct medication and plenty of icing :ice: I had no idea what to expect having never had surgery before, but it does get better, for the1st time in over 8 years I have no pain ( only when I overdo things :heehee:) the grinding of bone on bone /limping all now gone and I'm just at 7 months and able to do far more than I ever could at pre-surgery- would I do it again - hell yes !!
Take a look at my recovery - I was the biggest wimp where pain was concerned but with the help of all these wonderful Bonesmarties and encouragement I surpassed it and you will too !!

OP
OP
Take a Knee

Take a Knee

Country
@Take a Knee I found it helpful reading other people's recoveries, you will notice in the majority of cases pain at the beginning is awful but controllable with the correct medication and plenty of icing :ice: I had no idea what to expect having never had surgery before, but it does get better, for the1st time in over 8 years I have no pain ( only when I overdo things :heehee:) the grinding of bone on bone /limping all now gone and I'm just at 7 months and able to do far more than I ever could at pre-surgery- would I do it again - hell yes !!
Take a look at my recovery - I was the biggest wimp where pain was concerned but with the help of all these wonderful Bonesmarties and encouragement I surpassed it and you will too !!
Thanks so much. You made me feel better

InkedMarie

graduate
Country
I was one of the very few lucky ones. I expected horrendous pain but i had none. Little achey is all. I tell everyone to expect the worse but go into TKR with a good attitude. I think that helps.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
VSing
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom