Recent content by dtmbf

  1. dtmbf

    Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

    I looked at my calendar when I got the alert about your post and realized today is the 4th anniversary of my BTHR! I remember how petrified I was going into the surgery and compare that to how fabulous my hips are today. I still have some muscle twinges in my right hip occasionally but..... I...
  2. dtmbf

    TKR 15 week update

    I can't believe I'm at 15 weeks post op - and realize I haven't updated my post in a while. I have a story of 2 knees - 1 year apart. First, my 15 week old knee - I'm still stiff and have to watch my gait, especially when I'm tired. No real pain but I'm still very numb and that area feels...
  3. dtmbf

    TKR 15 week update

    @Celle would you please change the name of this post to "15 week update"? Thanks muchly!
  4. dtmbf

    MUA 1 Week post op

    I applied the K tape as a solid strip over the incision line, starting from just below the incision to just beyond the top of the incision.. It was cut a bit smaller than the incision as my PT told me to put about a 70% stretch to the tape when pulling it up and anchoring it. There's a whole...
  5. dtmbf

    MUA 1 Week post op

    Your OS sounds very calm & unflappable. There are some of us who just have a very strong inflammatory response - and I'm one of them. After my 1st knee the swelling was unreal - for weeks I felt as if my skin would tear apart I was so swollen and my knee was hot, hot, hot. My ROM was a tiny...
  6. dtmbf

    TKR Lin's Recovery Journey

    One other thing you might try is to place more of your weight on the heel instead of your toes when you start to push up. I found that to be much easier on the knee.
  7. dtmbf

    TKR 2 years on and in more pain than before I had the surgery<

    At 4 weeks I was barely walking 10 minutes. But by 5 weeks I was walking for 10-15 minutes. My OS doesn't set mile goals but rather he focuses on the length of time I was walking. I never quite made it up to his expectations till about week 10 which was walking for 30 minutes. He didn't care...
  8. dtmbf

    Am I only seeing what I want to see???

    My OS refuses to do BTKRs feeling that the recovery is just too tough. He does bilateral hips, but not knees. Others in his practice do BTKRs but I opted to stay with him.
  9. dtmbf

    MUA 1 Week post op

    I did nothing for 4 weeks - absolutely nothing but get out of bed, walk around the house, sit in a chair with my knees bent as best they could and maybe a stray leg raise here and there. My PT consisted of massage, managing my gait, and walking. I used a walker for 4-5 weeks, then a forearm...
  10. dtmbf

    Revision TKR if at first you don't succeed....<

    Don't give up hope! With my 1st TKR it was a solid 10 months before I could say I hadn't made a mistake with the TKR. And I was still improving at 12 months. I have issues with that 1st knee but they are soft tissue related and not with the knee function. And bag those heel slides. I could...
  11. dtmbf

    TKR Left 10 & Right 7 weeks and I still can't walk without suppport!

    I can only offer you one other suggestion if it is your hamstrings etc that are tight & causing problems. I had the same issue post op - the knee was actually doing OK but all the soft & connective tissue stuff was causing me problems. So my PT rather aggressively massaged my quads, IT band...
  12. dtmbf

    TKR Hip pain after tkr

    I also had hip pain post op, but earlier than you like at week 5, and had my TKR 2 days befor yours. And I've had both my hips replaced so I was a bit concerned. Turned out my gait was way off causing the hip pain. At least that's what I think cuz when my gift corrected then the hip pain...
  13. dtmbf

    TKR Nine weeks out and still limited ROM

    Too funny about the Birkies. I got reprimanded by my PT for wearing my boat shoes to rehab - and I've lived in my boat shoes for years. In fact I dedicated a specific pair of boat shoes to each of my 3 recoveries. I needed not to think about what pair of shoes to put on each day!
  14. dtmbf

    Bilateral TKR Still on pain at week 12

    I never worried about addiction - ever! For my 1st knee I was still taking some Dilaudid at 14 weeks. This knee, I was able to stop the Dilaudid around 6 weeks and switched to Tylenol. For me there is a huge difference in my post op recoveries & I medicated based on my pain level. I've also...
  15. dtmbf

    TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

    I couldn't elevate my knee for at least 2 weeks - at least not high enough to to make a difference. The back of my knee was so tight the elevation just caused more pain in places I didn't need it. And I always iced the back of the knee. I got a flat pad of blue ice about 12"x12", covered it...
Back
Top Bottom