Recent content by dovemck

  1. D

    TKR From top of ridgetop, looking down to recovery

    I had significant weakness in the VMO - Vastus Medialis Oblique - just above the knee, bottom of thigh but towards the center. Gave me continous pain doing stairs. Physio had me do some targeted exercises and it took months and suddenly one day, it was no longer painful. Magical moment. One of...
  2. D

    TKR Its been worse than childbirth! Did I make the right decision?

    I'm almost exactly 8 months post-op and like you, can hardly comprehend what a LONG process this is. Because I waited so long for the surgery I have a ton of issues - in reality probably shouldn't say TKR related - but wouldn't have had to deal with them if I hadn't had the surgery. I've been...
  3. D

    PKR Slow, steady recovery....challenging gains in ROM

    I like the wall idea @yorkiemom I did something similar to the book thing but because I'm a computer addict I used my wheeled office chair and my desk, scooting myself closer and working the bend. My first P/T (whom I like to refer to as 'the gloriously incompetent ') told me in my case it...
  4. D

    TKR 16 Weeks +, not sure what to think?

    How is your IT band? Mine was strung tight as a wire and is part of my hip pain and was a problem early on with stairs. When I have back of the knee tightness I get relief from calf stretches. Seems if they're looking at allergies you might be past the simple P/T -rehab stage though.
  5. D

    To have right knee replaced 2/3/15.

    I agree with @Lovestoread - knowledge is power and I'd add that you should feel empowered to participate in your treatment and care. Start now - if you don't feel you have sufficient information from your surgeon/GP/hospital -ask for more. We can help out here, but get used to being in control...
  6. D

    Anxious & Hopeful

    Anxious? Of course! Hopeful? You bet! Looking forward to seeing you in the recovery threads.
  7. D

    New knee for new year(2015) recovery thread

    I am very proud of you and yor husband insisting on the meds and reporting it to the patient liason. Good for you!! You're doing pretty good - keep up the meds on schedule, elevation and don't get gung-ho with the CPM - take my word for it, it's pretty easy to overdo it - I did and paid dearly...
  8. D

    TKR Scar Tissue Growth - 4 years Post op

    BULL on 'no pain, no gain' for knee replacements and I'm telling you that had the wrong P/T to help you through this. Knee replacement P/T is slow and gentle - any tells you otherwise is CLUELESS. I have pain where you describe and it has been diagnosed as the pes anserine bursa. I was told to...
  9. D

    MUA Aussie Icy Pole (popsicle)

    Hey @Clipless I think you and I are in an exclusive little club - one that people don't want to be in! That's alright, I appreciate any company at all. Some of the moderators have a bit of experience with this and of course the great library here - but you and I are blazing new trails. I think...
  10. D

    MUA Aussie Icy Pole (popsicle)

    I've not been around the forum much with the hols and the worst case of gastro I could ever imagine. Definitely in the TMI category, I'll move on. New physio project is the VMO - Vastus Medialis Oblique -basically the bottom of the quads on the medial (inner) side. Mine 'fires' late and it's...
  11. D

    MUA Aussie Icy Pole (popsicle)

    Hi @Minnie's knees - I went from 65 to 135 in hospital and then down to 105 but steadily increased to my current 125. My goal is 135. I might well have gone from 65 to 125 eventually but the MUA got me up and able to rehab my muscles which were wasting away from disuse ( I had massive issues...
  12. D

    PKR Slow, steady recovery....challenging gains in ROM

    I appreciate the slowly,slowly mantra. Those that have followed my ordeal will agree I'm a huge fan of the Bone Smart mantra and I tell all the newbies at Rehab that they need to follow this methodology. Having saud that and having done an MUA, I have to stand up and say IT IS NOT THAT BAD. It...
  13. D

    PKR Slow, steady recovery....challenging gains in ROM

    Hi - sorry to come into this so late but I've been ill. Going into the TKR I was vehemently opposed to the idea of an MUA. However I can say now that I'm an early MUA'er and it was a godsend for me. I had an MUA early because at 6 weeks I was only able to achieve 65 degrees ROM. My knee was...
  14. D

    pre operative nerve ablation

    God knows with my pain sensitivity and pain relief issues, this sounds interesting. However, witht the huge effort I've had to put into trying to relearn how to use my muscles, align my feet and get nerves to fire that haven't for years I honestly don't think I could do this properly without the...
  15. D

    General Anaestetic vs. Epidural Block - experiences?

    I've had generals before and I always wake up in excruciating pain (especially last time when I had spinal surgery) so having seen my husband with a spinal and sedation for his THR, I was thinking it looked like a pretty good idea. Unfortunately I was so scared and psychologically scarred from...
Back
Top Bottom