Recent content by Diane

  1. D

    Toenails

    Hi everyone - I haven't posted for a long time but popped in to see what was happening as I am going to recommend this site to someone who is in the initial research stage. Wow, that was me last August! Now, I am 6 months post op (bilateral) and one happy camper. I am still working on some...
  2. D

    Halfway there :)

    Andrea - Willow sounds amazing - Congratulations! Besides all the wonderful positive surgery related messages I find here, it is also inspiring to hear stories about people "getting on with it" because after all, isn't that why we have all made the decisions we have made? I am working hard on...
  3. D

    Halfway there :)

    panamfe - great minds must think alike :) As my hospital/Doc's don't dictate when you can/can't drive (their guidelines are - you shouldn't drive until you can safely control your car) - I took my car out for a test spin yesterday. I have an automatic and my right leg is 4 weeks post-op...
  4. D

    Halfway there :)

    J.R. Your surgery was on the same day as my 2nd (left hip) surgery. Sounds like you are doing great. I am still on 2 crutches because of the bilateral but am pretty comfortable I will be able to go to one crutch or cane very soon. I too am still experiencing some residual soreness on...
  5. D

    Halfway there :)

    What an amazing journey :) I am now home after spending 5 days in an acute rehab hospital getting great PT every day. I am completely off pain meds and am motoring around easily on crutches. I am getting stronger every day and even though I am still experiencing some post-op soreness in the...
  6. D

    Halfway there :)

    Hey Everyone, Well, I have turned into the classic study of going with the flow :) 2nd surgery went just as well as the first. Then 1 1/2 days after the 2nd surgery my INR count spiked from 1.5 to over 5. This means my blood was way too thin and there was danger of internal bleeding. Well...
  7. D

    Halfway there :)

    I haven't posted in a while - so here is the scoop. Slated for bilateral hip on 9\22, however, my Doc. found the right hip reconstruction much more complex than originally thought (very shallow cup) and I suffered a fair amount of blood loss so he backed off the 2nd hip. It is now 9\27 and I...
  8. D

    hip replacement advice

    I agree - I am curious why a doctor would say no baths! The plastic stuff is called tegaderm and it is wonderful - making bathing while healing possible. Well, I have had most of my pre-op stuff - been x-rayed, poked and prodded as well as banking the first of two units of blood. Now, I am...
  9. D

    hip replacement advice

    Marie, Once I met my Doc and knew I could work with him I gladly accepted the first date they offered. I was happy they had a date early in the Fall available as I want to be reasonably comfortable on my own 2 legs before the nasty winter weather hits (metro Boston area) or barring that -...
  10. D

    hip replacement advice

    Hi Bill - I am just about 4 weeks away from bilateral hip replacement. I spend about 1-2 years going down the alternate road and although I met some absolutely great people and had success along the way, it was success that I couldn't sustain because at the end of the day no cartilage is...
  11. D

    A hunting we will go!!!

    Good Morning everyone, Andrea, thanks for the information on working out and also the tip on the recliner and bed raisers - I have seen other threads saying a recliner worked for them as well. I think I am going shopping this weekend :) Slowly the ducks are all being lined up and the...
  12. D

    A hunting we will go!!!

    Hey Everyone - Andrea - I am living vicariously thru you while I am in pre-op mode. The fox hunt sounds marvelous. I grew up riding and if I ever won the lottery, horses would be first on the list. Just about 6 weeks to go before surgery. I am trying to keep up with the exercise as I...
  13. D

    New Hip Replacent Material (highly cross-linked polyethylene)

    Quote: He sounds like a keeper, but is he as 'dreamy' as my guy ????? He is kinda cute but at this point all I am interested in is how steady his hands are :) :) Ok, I am now terrified - surgery date is on the board - September 22nd. It has now hit me as a reality. I know I am doing the...
  14. D

    New Hip Replacent Material (highly cross-linked polyethylene)

    Hi Everyone - I hope everyone else finds these forums as helpful and as encouraging as I do. I know it is hard for people not living with the kind of pain and restricted movment we experience understanding someone "looking forward to major surgery". My doc. put in the intial paperwork to get...
  15. D

    New Hip Replacent Material (highly cross-linked polyethylene)

    Had my consult with Lahey surgeon - I like him - he is direct and to the point. Right hip is now bone on bone and left hip is just slightly better. He has agreed in principal to a simulaneous bilateral replacement but says the need to do bone grafts may force a single replacement. At least the...
Back
Top Bottom