Recent content by DesertHorses

  1. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreaming Recovery II

    Hip? What hip? A little muscle soreness if I overdo or neglect my regular activity. On my thyroid cancer group we've been talking about surgical clips in the neck (used instead of sutures or cautery for minimally invasive surgery) and the "ooh I have things in my neck" feeling some have when...
  2. DesertHorses

    THR Time to change things up.

    @Dianalb I think the kind of restriction you have depend on the surgical approach used. Both my replacements were anterior (front) approach and both times I had no restrictions at all starting day 1. But it sounds like @Scuba_Diver is concentrating on multiple reps of a single type of exercise...
  3. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreaming Recovery II

    Wanted to comment about my Lounge Doctor. I really wish I had gotten it before surgery to have on hand that first week as that was when I needed it most. As it was, I only used it for about ten days after I received it (about ten days after surgery). It was amazing to help with swelling and...
  4. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreaming Recovery II

    Thanks for the bump @Layla I was thinking it was a lot longer but yes - only two months! I’ve had some ups and downs but they mainly have been because of ”other” stuff - cardiac meds not arriving in the mail and some really bad air quality making it hard to even step outdoors. But my hip...
  5. DesertHorses

    Hip Infection* This is NOT what I thought!

    Be kind to yourself - things will get better.
  6. DesertHorses

    THR I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to...

    @Sashimu - Sorry your wait is going to have to be even longer and hope you get over whatever bug has cropped up. I saw the Lounge Doctor on the forum here - until it arrives I’m using pillows, not ideal. This shows the does and don’ts of elevation...
  7. DesertHorses

    THR Very scared

    If you can, order a lounge doctor now. I’m waiting on mine and meanwhile struggling with slippery pillows trying to get the right angles. I so wish I had it a week ago. i aso wish I had started a stool softener and Miralax before surgery. I went into surgery slightly constipated and dehydrated...
  8. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreaming Recovery II

    Thank you @Layla. I sometimes tend to think I know more than I do. (I also tend to be surprised when I look in the mirror and don’t find my eighteen year old self.)
  9. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreaming Recovery II

    Think I overdid things yesterday (day 6). Started out feeling great in the morning so fed cats, counter surfed doing dishes, starting coffee. Made the bed, showered, off to PT (hour drive in town). Good session - evaluation assessment only, reminder to elevate and ice more to keep swelling...
  10. DesertHorses

    THR I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to...

    I was originally scheduled for October 7. I had started feeling ill two weeks earlier after a flu shot. It took too long for Covid test results to clear so I cancelled and requested a reschedule - I wanted to cancel early enough so someone could get my slot. The three weeks until my new date...
  11. DesertHorses

    THR The other side!

    When I got my first hip done I would feel discouraged when reading someone say they walked three miles in as many weeks. Then I realized this is not a contest, there are no winners or losers - only healers.
  12. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreaming Recovery II

    Five years since hip #1 followed by a few years of cancer treatment. I never would have made it through the cancer if I hadn’t had the hip done before cancer diagnosis - on follow ups my ortho doc joked I needed to stop seeing doctors. A year ago he said to still wait but this year it was time...
  13. DesertHorses

    Hip Infection* This is NOT what I thought!

    Hi @Carolinagirl54 - Going to the new antibiotic was a good move by the PA; I expect they or your PCP may want to run blood cultures after the three weeks to see it’s gone - check with them both. I just had my second anterior approach yesterday. Had some gnarly issues with the first (in my...
  14. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreaming Recovery II

    In at 10:30, surgery at 12:30, home from phase 2 recovery at 8:00 pm. Awesome total left hip anterior approach without the swelling I had previously. Pain this am was minimal but the “local” they use finally wore off. Sent home with vicodin - makes me woozy but does little for pan so I’ll stick...
  15. DesertHorses

    THR Arizona Dreamin’ - part II

    Thank you! But oops - it’s all been delayed until 28 October. I’ve been pretty sick and a bit brain fried but thankfully tested and not Covid. So I have a couple of weeks until the 28th to get better and be prepared for a good recovery.
Back
Top Bottom