Ask the Expert Webinar
Lounge Doctor

THR Arizona Dreamin’ - part II

DesertHorses

Country
United States United States
It’s been four years since I posted (October 2015) after my first lung cancer treatment. I really thought I would be “cured” and move on beyond the rude interruption. But fate was not with me. Just before my final chemo run in January 2016 a PET scan showed “something” in my thyroid which turned out to be medullary thyroid cancer - a rare and aggressive form. Still on large doses of steroids (for side effects from chemo/radiation) I embarked on thyroid surgery and the endless quest to find the right kind and dose of thyroid medication. Managed a couple of bouts of pneumonia then a chest tube when they put a hole in one lung during a scope - at least the food at the hospital is very good and they made me a lovely birthday cake during one stay.
Things were good - or so I thought. Had a great check up with my ortho surgeon - he suggested I stay away from doctors:tantrum:
But - spring of 2017 another scan showed “something” in my colon. I was really hoping it would just go away on its own but within a month it progressed to almost complete blockage. Another surgery and this time a whole week in hospital and they wouldn’t let me eat. Now I know what a horse with colic surgery goes through.
I'm a bit discouraged (understatement) as I haven’t bounced back and new cardiac issues have been limiting my ability to lose weight and get back into shape. I’ve sadly had to find new homes for my horses but they are all in good places getting the attention I’ve been unable to provide.:fasthorse:
On the positive side I’ve started a thyroid cancer support group at our cancer center and there were no signs of cancer at my last scan in the Fall. Ten more months to the magic five years to be considered cured. I could not have survived the last few years if I had not had my hip replacement in 2015. And I probably wouldn’t have survived the post surgery recovery without all of you. My ortho doc says my other hip “doesn’t look bad” - not the same as “looks good” but he feels still a long way from needing replacement. I’ve found that SAMe (S-adenosyl-L-methionine) takes care of most joint issues without side effects of NSAIDs or steroids (which took over two years to get off). My wonderful titanium hip has supported me through everything. And who knows - if I ever recover from the side effects of the treatments that have given me life there may be another horse in my future.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@DesertHorses Lovely to hear from you again. I so sorry life has given you all these challenges! Sounds like you have plowed through them all though - well done! Please stay in touch and keep us updated! Happy New Year!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @DesertHorses
I'm sorry for the health challenges you've endured. It sounds as though you've really struggled over the past several years. May the New Year bring you happiness, healing, good health and many blessings.

Debru4

graduate
Country
What an inspiration you are to all of us! To have gone through so much, and yet still be aware of the blessing of your 2015 hip replacement is remarkable. Like it our not, most of us will encounter health challenges in our lifetime, especially as we age, but it sounds like you have had far more than your share recently. I appreciate your perspective and willingness to look positively toward the future! Best of luck in the next few months---here's hoping you will have far fewer health issues, and can work yourself back to having a beloved horse again.

OP
OP
DesertHorses

DesertHorses

Country
More update -
Had a great lung scan - five years and no sign of new cancer!
But, as I have been working my butt off getting the ranch ready to list for sale my “other” hip has laid me low so went to see my ortho doc yesterday. Bone on bone, surgery scheduled for October 7th providing I am cleared for Covid and my cardiologist clears me for surgery (as I hit that magic “over 75 years” this time).
Of course I am anxious but also thrilled with the prospect of not living with the pain 24/7. And so glad that this time I have this forum before the event and not after.
I’ve gotten out of shape but have a month to work on losing a bit of weight and doing some strengthening (safely without over doing (I can hear the mods telling me to be careful :dancy: )

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@DesertHorses Welcome back - sorry it's due to facing more surgery. But I can confirm you will be so thrilled when you join the double hippie club!

We have all gotten out of shape. Just get the surgery done and the increase in mobility will help you shed the weight.

We are here for you again!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I am sorry you need surgery but as you say it is so wonderful that soon you will get rid of the pain and will be able to move around without pain. Have a peaceful evening.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKR. 2019
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom