Recent content by Cookie42

  1. Cookie42

    THR Anterior THR - 5/21/15- I Did It!

    Oh, man, yes --- every surgery is different, even on yourself. My second hip was very different from the first. There was a guy who had surgery the same day I did with the same doctor. While I was lying in bed and leaning heavily on the walker when I was up, he was marching up and down the halls...
  2. Cookie42

    Gift ideas for the hospital staff

    While in the hospital I had a basket of Lindor Truffles available for anyone who was in the room to do anything -- from changing a dressing to mopping the floor. They went over well.
  3. Cookie42

    THR Short hospital stays and pain meds discontinued on day one

    I went home the day following surgery for my second hip after showing I could do things like walk with the walker, get into and out of bed and go to the bathroom. The hospital didn't force me out -- I almost begged to go. I certainly had pain meds though.
  4. Cookie42

    Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

    I haven't posted on your thread before, but wanted to let you know I've been following your progress and wish you the very best. You're the same age as one of my daughters and I cannot imagine how distressing it would be to go through this. Hang in there and know there are a lot of folks rooting...
  5. Cookie42

    Mid seventies and worried about general anaesthetic

    I was 70 with my first hip and 71 with the second. I had a spinal and GA. With the second I asked the anesthetist if I was having just light sedation with the spinal and he said no -- it was GA. He went on to say the spinal was for me and the GA was for them. I'm not sure why, but am guessing a...
  6. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    On Thanksgiving day, our son called, reporting he was sick and could not make the 13 hour drive. That meant no family (including two grandsons) would be coming from Texas for a visit over the holiday. We'd already planned the big dinner on Saturday to accommodate everyone, so I decided I could...
  7. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    Yes, indeed, I use an assist! Just this morning I was thinking I need to take a yoga class to improve my free range of motion. The right side is still not co-operating with nearly anything I would like it to do. I would much rather have seen a black bear (or an otter or deer or wild turkey or...
  8. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    sissy46 I just wanted to see if I could. I couldn't! Nigel's favorite spot with me is between my hinny and the arm of the chair. Luckily we're both squishy, so he still fits. BTW, no touching my nose with my toes after the last operation, but the left leg is still flexible and I haven't...
  9. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    I forgot to mention the pain is when I'm lowering the leg, not lifting it. Not sure if that makes any difference or not, but thought I should say. Shadow09 that's pretty much my way of action as well! Neither of those movements are something I ordinarily do. That's why I'm not sure if it's...
  10. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    I know at 4 months some discomfort is nothing to worry about. But this pain is sharp, stabbing. It is not there when doing my regular life. I babysit for a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old and we play on the floor, upstairs and down, the little one gets horsey rides on my foot. All that...
  11. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    A little over 4 months out and I still cannot do the leg lift with my right leg without pain. Nor can I do a forward high kick without bad pain. According to Josephine's chart, it's in the E R3F area -- right where my leg attaches to my body. Understand I do not plan to try out for the Rockettes...
  12. Cookie42

    THR Sharon's Anniversary Waltz

    sharonslp I have been invited to accompany my daughter's family to Disney World next summer and you have made me decide to accept! I will go well armed with pain meds and I thank you for posting this.
  13. Cookie42

    THR Butterfly Flutters Over

    You might want to use a bit of caution swinging those hips around. I was feeling pretty sassy after my first surgery a few months down the road and was dancing around. One quick movement I made was not a good one. I quickly put that one down to a mistake and have avoided it since! Just saying. . .
  14. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    I slept in my recliner for at least two weeks, maybe longer. I didn't do much PT, just what was in the book he gave me. They don't do physical therapists in that practice, so with no one (but DH) to make sure I was doing the exercises I was on my own. Remember the part about my being lazy? I...
  15. Cookie42

    THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

    Butterfly yes it hurt! Of course I was on pain pills, but it was still very uncomfortable and hurt like blazes if I moved it the wrong way. The incision didn't hurt much, but my abused muscles let me know they hadn't appreciated the whole thing one little bit. I kept ice on my leg nearly all the...
Back
Top Bottom