Recent content by billyedtimmy

  1. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Stopping all exercises?? I'm not so sure about that. The physio that I'm referring to above is in direct response to what was apparently a soft-tissue injury this spring. In this regard, I can only plead that it appears to <still> be helping. I agree that it has nothing to do with healing from...
  2. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Update for anyone still following (I suspect Josephine likes to keep an eye on her many charges)..... ;-) Still on the mend and improving but not 100% yet. I don't have much trouble walking anymore, and usually try to cover at least a km or 2 per day. Things definitely work out better with a...
  3. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Re: The bone scan. My GP thinks that it would only be to confirm the Osteitis Pubis, and that OP doesn't respond to treatment anyway (only time heals it, he says). That combined with my gradual but definite improvement over the past month, I'm not super keen for yet more invasive diagnostics...
  4. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Well, the latest update has arrived (and uncertainty/confusion continues): (1) I had an MRI last week and got my results today. The area immediately around the joint is kinda 'clouded' looking, so the tech remarked that it was difficult to image precisely, but the radiologist didn't mention...
  5. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    I'm feeling more and more like it's a raging something related to soft-tissue: Taking anti-inflammatories and now this muscle relaxer isolates the pain to a very specific locale. It feels like I'm straddling a rope on the right side of my crotch. There's a definite, deep tightness of something...
  6. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Ultrasound results all look good: No tendinitis or bursitis or pseudo-tumours seen. No fluid/swelling in the joint capsule. All this seems to suggest no issue in the psoas area. X-rays: Surgeon says bone-growth in the porous bone-metal interface looks excellent. Overlays of recent X-ray vs...
  7. billyedtimmy

    THR Jolts of pain 2 years after THR

    Right, but is it more likely that a bone scan will clarify a less-than-clear X-ray image or the reverse? I was under the impression that, overall, the bone-scan was more of a fail-safe form of diagnosis for loosening. No?
  8. billyedtimmy

    THR Jolts of pain 2 years after THR

    @rhino1 - you mentioned in your first post that the surgeon believed you have femoral loosening based on your X-rays, but then 2 bone scans have come back negative for that. Does your surgeon have an explanation for that apparent discrepancy? I was under the impression that a bone scan is a more...
  9. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Update: Saw the OS yesterday. He doesn't see any loosening on my x-rays and says that I have a 'raging' case of tendinitis of the psoas. On to an ultrasound next week to verify that and possibly cortisone shot if confirmed. Tentative RELIEF (mentally) at this point (but still cautious). Stay tuned.
  10. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    I see, so my risk of fracturing the thing (and associated consequences) is greater than my risk of bone loss due to inactivity. Thanks again, Josephine.
  11. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Like the NIH mentions that 5 weeks might be pushing it for inactivity in terms of recover-ability.... https://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/bone/Osteoporosis/Conditions_Behaviors/bed_rest.asp But, then they're vague on what they mean by 'brief intervals of weight-bearing' and how much is...
  12. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Latest update: I have an appointment with my OS on May 5th for consult and more X-rays. Seems like a while away, but I consider it lucky in this province where waiting lists are disastrously long. In the meantime, I'm resting most of the time but still trying to walk (well, hobble with 2...
  13. billyedtimmy

    Bilateral THR Done

    Hi Rob3DR, looks like you and I are in a similar boat (young, active, and finding ourselves with a loose implant relatively soon after surgery). "Time to soak in" is so true. I'm still in shock/loss myself. Good luck on your next appointment and x-rays and take it easy until then. Cheers.
  14. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    Thanks y'all, it would seem quite a waste if the cup is secured for them to yank it out. I'm more than happy to wait on that set of components if it's an option (we'll see). The more I think back the more I think this problem has been with me a while and recurred multiple times, which may...
  15. billyedtimmy

    THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

    I guess I'm grasping at straws now. Assuming a deep-joint infection isn't the cause of the loosening, is it likely they'll be able to at least preserve my acetabular cup and only switch out the femoral stem? Or are we talking everything goes? Thank you again, Josephine, for pointing out the...
Back
Top Bottom