Recent content by BigGene

  1. BigGene

    3 Weeks Out.....starting to come undone

    I just got back from a hiking trip to the finger lakes. Hiked the gorge at Glen Canyon and several other in your region. Everything you are feeling makes perfect sense. We all survived the anticipation. Think about this--- a new active, pain free life awaits you. It may not be fast, or easy...
  2. BigGene

    Need to make a decision about TKR

    It's been 2 1/2 years since knee#1 and I struggled for a year of shot before I pulled the trigger. I had finally lost 100 lbs and was trying to regain my active lifestyle of hiking and biking. I was still biking but would pay for each ride at night. Walking and steps had become a joke. Still I...
  3. BigGene

    czak is back

    I loved my slush bags! Just get a couple Velcro straps to hold them in place. Remember to put them all the way around your knee.
  4. BigGene

    Knee not straight???

    These are some of the reasons that Bonesmart says get a surgeon who does hundreds a year. Our knees are all bent and twisted. The surgeon is able to adjust the installation to straighten everything out! This is not a cookie cutter procedure. Every surgery is unique! Good luck. Get ready to...
  5. BigGene

    Second Thoughts

    Like you, I tried shots and stuff and thought "except for ... It's not so bad! Now I am two years post op and during those two years I have hiked, biked, rafted the Grand Canyon and skied 60 days last year. Last week I was hiking in the finger lakes of New York. One of the hikes had 600 uneven...
  6. BigGene

    TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

    Speedy, you are right. This surgery will change your life. Just not in two months. I could not go up or down a step. Now, two years later I can do anything I want. I ski, hike, ride my bike long distances but it didn't happen overnight. It's hard to be patient. You will get both support and...
  7. BigGene

    TKR 12 weeks and Knee-Cation

    Oh yeah, doing just fine. My knees are the healthiest part of me now. I've hiked from the rim to the river at the Grand Canyon, Biked the KATY trail in Missouri, hiked sections of the Appalachian trail and canoed the Missouri River in Montana following the path of Lewis and Clark. All of it...
  8. BigGene

    TKR 12 weeks and Knee-Cation

    It's been a long time(2 years) since I was where you are, and I remember all the advice and repeated mantra of "we all heal differently". Like you, my attitude was, yes, I get it, but... I should be doing better! For what it worth, looking backward I will say this, at a year post op we are all...
  9. BigGene

    Skiing after TKR?

    After not being able to make a turn for ten years, I moved to Tahoe last year, bought used demo skis and a season pass at Northstar. On opening day I hit the slopes. It was scary and I was very slow and cautious. I really had to learn to ski again. The modern equipment and techniques were all...
  10. BigGene

    TKR Air travel after TKR?

    I flew from Baltimore to Reno (7 hours) at 5 weeks post op of my second knee. I requested wheelchair assistance in the airports and the flight attendants kept me supplied with ice. I did wear TEDs. I survived the flights ok with regular work at heel slides, ankle pumps and walks up and down the...
  11. BigGene

    PKR with ACL

    I have had TKR's on both knees. before my surgeries I could not go up or down a curb without pain. I was still riding a bike but would pay for it with pain all night after a ride. Since surgery I have hiked below the rim at the grand Canyon, I live and hike in the Lake Tahoe area and hike...
  12. BigGene

    does anyone have a recovery timeline???

    I've had both "open heart" surgery and Two TKR's. there is NO comparison. The heart surgery recovery was a piece of cake compared to a Total Knee. I heel quickly too, but at 5 days I was still using a walker and taking Meds for pain around the clock. Hubby needs to have his expectations...
  13. BigGene

    TKR 28th December 2012

    I found the exerise bike to be my main exercise. It helps with ROM without the pain of a PT pushing. I layed down the law with my PT. No extreme pushing. The swelling they cause only hurts. If you are riding 30 minutes at 4 weeks you are doing fine. I actually started riding my rodebike outdoors...
  14. BigGene

    TKR Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!

    Riding the bike and spinning forward is a BIG deal. You need good ROM, about 115 or better to do that. You are doing well. Every day will get better and soon you will really know what a great decision you made.
  15. BigGene

    Am I Stupid?

    When to do it is an individual decision. You don't have to wait for the wheelchair or cane. For me, while it didn't hurt "so bad" all the time it did restrict my activity and amuse pain when I did things that I love( hike, bike,ski, etc.) Good luck whatever you decide.
Back
Top Bottom