Recent content by Baystater

  1. Baystater

    Total knee replacement surgery on May 28..questions

    I took a robe, slippers, "undies", even make up to the hospital for my first TKR. Never used any of it - I was better off in the hospital gown the whole time with a second gown worn backwards as a robe when hospital PT got me out walking. Second TKR I knew better and only took my hairbrush and...
  2. Baystater

    TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

    Ahh..."your" not "you"re" those things bug me! I hate grammar errors as a former teacher....let's blame the BS app. Yuck yuck.....
  3. Baystater

    TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

    @Toothfairy you're link suddenly showed up in my email and what a nice surprise! So glad to hear you are doing well, enjoying those grandchildren and oh yeah those new knees. Life is good here on this side of the pond, winter has hung on way too long but even here in New Hampshire it is...
  4. Baystater

    CPM Machine

    I know I have chimed in on this post (and many) on use of CPM before, but to rehash I do think in hospital it helped me immensely. Frankly it felt good laying there in a hospital bed. I did have (with both knees) nurses and PTs tell me that it is ineffective after 90 ROM, and with both knees...
  5. Baystater

    TKR New Knee for Me

    Jenny, so nice to read your post! I can't believe it has been a year already since we got our "new knees" (and a good year at that!) I agree, this forum was such a godsend when I found it just before my surgery :sos:and it really helped calm my fears chatting with others who had been through it...
  6. Baystater

    Knee replacement April 29

    Anything I could say has already been said here, and is so so true. And I would just add that once you get through this waiting process (which frankly is the worst part) and arrive at the hospital the day of surgery you will feel much better. The nurses and techs are so wonderful and calming and...
  7. Baystater

    astra222's Introduction thread

    Astra, It is well worth it and recovery varies for everyone - but I can tell you the years of debilitating pain and then the dreaded waiting periods were the worst part. So what does that tell you about recovery :) ? And as for the shiny new prostheses they feel GRREAT. Heidi
  8. Baystater

    Left TKR scheduled for Feb. 25

    :goodpost:Nanajo's advice is spot on - you can do it! Looking back at my thread from my first TKR I said the waiting made me feel like poor Marie Antoinette awaiting her date with the guillotine...quite dramatic :beg:but I am a retired French teacher! In retrospect that waiting was the hardest...
  9. Baystater

    Left TKR scheduled for Feb. 25

    We all went through the pre op nerves - but don't be anxious about your recovery. The pain can be well managed and just allow yourself time to rest and recover! Plan on a low key life for about 4 weeks, and focus on getting your strength and mobility back. It is well worth it!
  10. Baystater

    TKR nausea week s after surgery

    Oh Lexismom what an ordeal! I hope things are rapidly improving and the knee continues to do well. I am so sorry I haven't checked in on this forum more often, it was such a great support to me with both knees. I will be sending positive thoughts your way! And think spring! (Can't hurt, might...
  11. Baystater

    What is happy juice???

    Trust me the catheter is really a non issue. If your hospital does this as general protocol it's fine and sure beats a bed pan. Like several have mentioned most hospitals put it in place in the OR when you are already quite out of it (thanks to the afore mentioned Happy Juice!) so it's not at...
  12. Baystater

    Tomorrow my big day is finally here

    Best wishes, and here is to two shiny new knees! My husband and I are in the process of moving from our home in MA to our lakeside home in NH. Last week I went snowshoeing across our frozen lake with my new knees...and the left one is only 3 months old. You won't regret it, this surgery will put...
  13. Baystater

    TKR New Knee for Me

    Happy New Year Jenny! So nice to read your post and hear about your trip. And yes, we have snow! It snowed Thursday and Friday here and I think we have about a foot on the ground, plus sub zero temps. I can't remember the last time it was this cold - want to trade weather for a day or so...
  14. Baystater

    How to get an appropriate therapist

    I understand that US and UK protocol is entirely different but I completely disagree with stating that there is "more risk with using a PT than not at all." PT does not have to hurt! Post surgical movement can be stiff and uncomfortable but that is not pain in my opinion, and there are benefits...
  15. Baystater

    How to get an appropriate therapist

    I have had good PT rapport with both surgeries, and with both knees had the benefit of 5 weeks home care therapy to start off. My suggestion is find a group near you that is in a good location and will be convenient, and look for one with multiple therapists. That way if you start with someone...
Back
Top Bottom