Recent content by Aquafool

  1. A

    TKR When will the swelling end?

    Love your writing style! Keep it coming, Stu! Sent from my iPhone
  2. A

    New Right knee 2/7

    Qigong is great for pain control. I use Six Directions La Chi method by Luke Chan. He recently put the video on YouTube for what it's worth. The post op pain was about what I expected it to be. It was not the hideous bone on bone pain anymore. I could bear weight and walk pretty easily with a...
  3. A

    Pre-op exercises

    For prehabbing, I went to the gym and used the NuStep machine which is perfect both pre and post op. Check out the video on YouTube. I was also able to participate in a no impact aerobic type class but that just got too painful. Focusing on my arms also helped a lot in the post op phase. Sent...
  4. A

    TKR Onward to the Future!

    I thought I'd update on my progress. I'm at 192 days and 72 days post TKR. I'm 80 days apart on my TKRs but in retrospect it feels like I had them at the same time. They feel pretty equal in function and bend. I feel I'm doing very well all in all. I saw my OS the other day. Had a half dozen...
  5. A

    TKR Highlander's New Knee

    @highlander I had the tourniquet issue. It was the worst part of my second total knee. It was excruciating and it forced me to follow the Bonesmart mantras to the letter. It affected my outer thigh and made it feel and look as big as a watermelon. I thought I was tough but that really hurt. Good...
  6. A

    TKR I really didn't know what I was getting into!

    @Knees4Me: you'll get to the point where you'll have no regrets. I had severe pain prior to both of my replacements. They were 80 days apart August 15 and November 3. At this point they seem about the same, recovery-wise. I would be able to fly anywhere at this point and enjoy a vacation. I can...
  7. A

    Exercises for Pre-Op Strengthening

    I used the NuStep machine at my gym. I love that thing! If you aren't familiar, check it out on YouTube. It's a very versatile machine with various levels of resistance. You can use either your arms alone or legs alone which I really took advantage of when my knees got tired. I also used the...
  8. A

    TKR On the other side

    I ditched mine in the hospital. I told them the size I needed based on my previous knee replacement where they were so tight, they had to be cut off. Of course, nobody in preop cared and they put the same size back on. (I had a lot of frustration w the nursing staff for both knees. Had to deal...
  9. A

    TKR Mister's recovery thread

    For my second knee, after suffering from delayed pain meds at the hospital, I brought my own stash to the hospital for the second knee. I'm so glad I did! The nursing staff was pretty slack. As a nurse, I was dismayed after my first experience. I had cause to use my own Percocets when doses...
  10. A

    MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

    Hi Barbri, here's my .02 : I've had two knees replaced since August. Essentially no PT for either despite my surgeon's objections. He threatened that if I didn't bend it, he would! Ha! He instructed me to bring a bullet to bite on and he was gonna put me in the soundproof exam room at the end...
  11. A

    Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

    Great suggestion on the walking sticks. At my gym, there is a walking club consisting of several post op replacements. They use them inside and outside and they told me how much easier it is to walk with them. It's worth a try for sure. Sent from my iPad using broken link removed...
  12. A

    Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

    Just wondering if you aren't overdoing your exercises. You mentioned your pain is way too high. That tells me you may not be resting and icing enough? Perhaps in your worry about your job, you are trying to push recovery along. Too bad your body doesn't really care about your plans!! I...
  13. A

    TKR Mireille's RTKR 4 months

    Hi Mireille! Just do your basic ADLs, follow the Bonesmart mantras and you will avoid a ton of problems. I belong to a knee group on Facebook and these people have a LOT of complications which seem to mostly be caused by vigorous PT. I feel sorry for that group because they are so focused on...
  14. A

    10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good

    I essentially had no PT for either of my knees and so far so good. I rested, iced, elevated, and took my meds on a schedule. I was reading the progress chart the other day and it turns out I'm probably doing too much. So I may have to scale it back. They have both been complaining a little and...
  15. A

    Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

    Re: obesity I am in that category and was concerned because obesity can be the cause of more side effects. My OS cheerfully said "Lighter is better". There was zero discussion or discrimination or complications. As a nurse who saw numerous knee replacements as a home health nurse, I'd say...
Back
Top Bottom