Recent content by AllanM

  1. A

    A Shoulder Saga

    Sorry I'm late with my comments. I wouldn't wish a shoulder replacement on anyone but, just like a hip or knee, sometimes it is necessary in order to restore quality of life. I had a left shoulder replacement 12 years ago. I had virtually no range of motion and could barely touch my nose. I...
  2. A

    THR update after 3 months

    I had noticeable tenderness, no pain but soreness to the touch. I was told by PT it was the IT band and in time it would stretch. They were right, though it took quite a while.
  3. A

    THR 2nd Hip Replacement

    Took me four years. I expected it to be sooner. Yearly x-rays showed the deterioration but but we held off until the hip started affecting my quality of life. That deterioration coincided with my four year follow-up. Three weeks later I had a new hip - one year ago today.
  4. A

    6 Weeks Post-Op

    I am more than a bit delinquent in posting a follow-up to my pre-op thread. I had an unremarkable anterior RTHR surgery and an uneventful recovery thus far. I doubt I can offer anything of substance to this forum. I anticipated a somewhat easier recovery than my previous lateral LTHR four years...
  5. A

    Preparing for hip replacement

    @gladfon I was in your situation four years ago. It is hard enough dealing with the back pain but you acclimate; then when the hip goes it really limits activity. Hopefully your new hip will get you back to your old self I had to address the stenosis as a separate issue and learned to live...
  6. A

    Surgery Scheduled

    @Josephine I agree with you completely. I speak only for myself and do not intend to mislead anyone going through a THR. I am not a medical professional and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I have a long history with my OS, understand the procedure and post-op process and have a...
  7. A

    Surgery Scheduled

    @alexthecat You are correct; both shoulders replaced. One is 11 years old and life expectancy is 15 years so more fun ahead. That recovery is a bit more difficult than a hip.
  8. A

    Surgery Scheduled

    @Josephine Recovery was probably the wrong word. Healed is more appropriate, with the caveat that nothing goes wrong. I fully expect 3-4 months (or more) to be fully recovered. I am assuming nothing. I have a fairly long history with my OS and he is quite conservative. He knows he will have to...
  9. A

    Surgery Scheduled

    I've been monitoring the deterioration in my right hip for the past four years, since my LTHR. Last January I was bone-on-bone but had little discomfort with somewhat limited range-of-motion. My OS thought it wise to wait, as the femur head was not collapsed, bone cysts were minimal and I was...
  10. A

    2014 August Hot Shots - Are you having hip surgery in August?

    August 22; my second. This time the right.
  11. A

    How do you know?

    Didoan, I had a similar situation prior to my LTHR, with pain from butt to ankle. When hip joint bone on bone was discovered I scheduled surgery, expecting relief from that pain. The hip recovered very well but most of my pre-op pain persisted. At my one year follow-up my OS must have tired of...
  12. A

    TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

    I was so sorry to read about your frustrations. On the other hand, you seem to be quite the multi-tasker; I could not walk, much less chew gum or talk, without tearing my meniscus. During the post-op check up I knew what was coming when I heard "at some point in the future..." Recovery just...
  13. A

    Oh groan - bone on bone!

    I just had a similar situation and cannot believe I was caught off guard. Last week I had a follow-up for meniscus repairs and as we discussed the the pictures I could see where the conversation was headed. I don't have much cartilage elsewhere so should not have been so smug about the condition...
  14. A

    THR Amazing surgery & recovery

    Kathy - What is your rush? At 11 days post-op you do not need to go up/down three flights of stairs. For some it is difficult to avoid pushing harder every day. You are discovering that is not possible. Do a little every day and next week try to do a bit more. You need time (at this stage, a...
  15. A

    First full day at home after 5/10/12 surgery

    I hope things are moving along. Perhaps now you understand why I passed on lasagna in favor of bran flakes while in the hospital. As they say, all things shall pass.
Back
Top Bottom