TKR Zimmer Brace

@harmof---I took the liberty of moving your post to a thread of its own---as it would not get the visits that it should in somebody else's post-op thread.

Welcome to the forum! Why don't you tell us more about yourself in this thread so that we can give you the advice that you need?

Have you had a TKR yet? If not, when do you expect to have it done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I had TKR 10 days ago. Previously both hips were done Sept 2010 and April 2011. My surgeon recommended using the Zimmer cast when sleeping and walking for a minimum of 2 weeks. Don't see anyone else talking about this. I guess Zimmer brace would be the thread. My recovery seems to be going very well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Welcome to BoneSmart! Here's the free reading every member receives and that your 10 days out you may be able to concentrate enough to read for a bit!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

I never used a brace after my surgeries at all. Perhaps @Josephine our forum nurse can address the topic of a Zimmer brace.

We did have someone back in 2012 who had a Zimmer brace because her knee hyper-extended after her TKR. It's a very short thread and she never came back to tell us how she was getting on.
The thread is here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/zimmer-splint-problems.13917/

@harmof - So that we can see it at the bottom of every post you make, and thus advise you appropriately, please will you create a Signature, in which you put your knee and hip surgeries and their dates in full?
Write the name of the month, so there’s no confusion.
Is it your left or your right leg that has had the TKR?

Hover over your username, top right of the page, and select Signature from the drop-down box. Enter your surgery details and then Save. This article also explains how to do it:
How to create a signature
If you can’t do it, please let us know - and give us the dates - so that we can do it for you.
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

I will change your thread title.

That is great news about your recovery! I am glad to read that it is going well for you.

Some of our forum members have had a brace post-op, and I will let them advise you about it---after my BTKR, I did not have to wear any brace at all.

I hope that you are able to ice and to elevate and take it easy during these early days of recovery---it is slower than we would like it to be, and patience is indeed the key.

My surgeon recommended the Zimmer cast sleeping and walking minimum of 2 weeks.
You don't say why your surgeon wants you to wear this. I'm afraid I cannot comment if I don't know that.

Left hip was sept 2010 right hip was April 2011. My right knee was deformed owing to years of arthritis and he wants to make sure it's straight

Hi @harmof ! What type of Zimmer brace? Immobilizer or hinged? I did not have a brace after my original TKR but have for my others.

@harmof, we need to know the actual day of your operations, especially the knee. There is more than 4 weeks' difference between the beginning of a month and the end, and those 4 weeks can be significant.
If you can put the full dates of all your surgeries into one post, I can ask for a signature to be made for you.

Thanks. Right knee was October 11 2016, left hip was Sept 20 2010, left hip April 22 2011

Oh, so your signature is correct then?
Right THR April 22, 2011
Left THR September 20, 2010

Yes those dates are correct. Saw my surgeon on April 27, ok to stop using the brace . Lots of pain now and trouble sleeping. Percocet every 3 hours seems to help. It was easier to sleep with the brace. Going through the dark days of recovery. Still less than 3 weeks out from surgery though.

Hang in there. The dark days will pass and soon you'll start to feel as if you are making progress. Dig deep into your store of patience. Spend lots of time resting, icing and elevating your knee, interspersed with just a little, gentle exercise.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom