• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Oops!

Ziggy100

Country
United States United States
So I ordered one of those shower protection plastic knee guard thingies for use in the shower, and it was way too tight on my swollen leg/knee, and I haven't had the surgery yet! So that is going back to Amazon pronto! So what should I use on the shower after the surgery? Garbage bags and masking tape? I have the wipe thingies for sponge type baths, but I'm talking about after that.

I didn't shower until they told me I could, but it wasn't long because I had a semi-opaque strip of waterproof stuff closing the incision instead of sutures or staples.

Oh that sounds relatively cool. Hope I get that.

My first surgery, I had a wound vac and couldn't shower for a week. I used baby wipes and someone took me to a hair cut place to get my hair washed half way through the week. Used dry shampoo spray the other days.
Second surgery, no wound vac. I could shower once I got home.

Someone told me cling wrap around the leg many times and high and low over the wound. I bought one with openings on both ends from Amazon, but it came in sizes. Also, from a foot surgery I have one that is like a cast over and that worked really good too.

Personally I did the disposable no rinse wash cloths until I felt steady enough to stand in the shower and even intermittently for a few weeks. I also washed my hair in the kitchen sink as it was easy to steady myself and lean over.

My surgery in May 9th so it looks like we’ll be recovery buddies Mine is a revision and hopefully only the spacer replaced. Recovery is still about the same I’m told (had a previous revision and that was easier than original). Good luck to you!

Thank you for responding! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with that. Good luck on your surgery on May 9! Two more days!

For me, they put a waterproof dressing on that came off when they took the stitches out two weeks later. I could shower but not bathe, no problem!

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Oh that sounds relatively cool. Hope I get that.
You can and should be asking your ortho team about their specific protocols since there's a huge variety!

They told me that If I have more questions I have to make another appointment.
1. I won't be able to get in because my surgery is in one week.
2. I can't afford more expenses now (copay) as I will have plenty of visits and pt appts after the surgery.

It's okay. I'll return it and figure something out. Thanks though

I was able to shower 2 days after surgery with the bandaging they used. I never covered it. It was probably waterproof but I don’t remember exactly.

Well I wrote to the Drs office even though they told me I would need an appointment if I had more questions (ha!!). They said they recommend Saran Wrap no matter what kind of closure he decides on. So we will do. Ordered some Saran wrap. Thx

They told me that If I have more questions I have to make another appointment.
1. I won't be able to get in because my surgery is in one week.
2. I can't afford more expenses now (copay) as I will have plenty of visits and pt appts after the surgery.

It's okay. I'll return it and figure something out. Thanks though
These questions don't need office visits! I was free to call his medical assistant during office hours to leave questions and she called back within 24 hours.

You're right but that's what the PA said. There's a trend around here for Drs offices to request a visit, a virtual visit, or even payment for electronic messages if there are too many.

They are getting overwhelmed with all of these things because it takes away from patient time. Insurance companies are also requiring more and more correspondence and electronic communication.

I get it, but as a patient I also know that the patients who are involved in their own care have better results. So it's kind of a balancing act.

Part of my own personal need to ask questions after the surgery decision appointment was that I expected push back to my desire to have surgery and it wasn't like that. I was so surprised, I was kind of in a daze, lol.

I'm glad that you received an answer to your questions. I guess I'm surprised that the surgeon or hospital haven't gone over a list of protocols, so to speak. Some call it Knee School, or something similar. It goes over a multitude a questions and answers. Maybe the hospital will do that once you arrive?

They gave me a brochure and the hospital gave me a brochure. The doctors team gave me a bit of info over the phone and online but didn't include all questions and I am asking as questions come up. They have a pre surgical class but it is for people who will be having the surgery at their surgery center. I will be at the hospital because of my medical history. The hospital hasn't called yet.

I'll also add, with my 2nd surgery, no wound vac, they said it's ok to have water run down it. Just don't soak it in a tub or spray the shower directly at it.
I had a broken leg at 14, and had a hard cast for 4 months. Our tub at the time was not good for being ablento keep my leg out off the water. I just sponge bathed myself and washed my hair at the sink. That was 4 months. You'll be able to get it wet no longer than a week or two. Don't worry, there are plenty of options and it's only temporary.

Thanks, Mendogal! 6 days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom