THR week 3 of recovery

lunathegrif

Country
United States United States
I had a hip replacement on Nov. 6. I can't seem to figure out how to join the Nov. group...
but I am wondering if it is normal to still not be able to put full weight on it after 3 weeks.... still need the cane. I think I had an un-realistic idea of this surgery and recovery.

I had my Surgery on friday Nov. 6, and went home the same day. Walked into the house with a walker and the help of my husband and a PT. I am 51 and VERY active... and this is pretty much torture. I did not like how the pain medicine made me feel and how it affected my bowels so I haven't been taking any since after the first week... How long do people usually stay on pain meds. I am alternating Tylenol and Motrin... but still feel pain...

also I CAN NOT sleep, never thought this would be so hard. disheartening... though I think I am mostly moving forward. just harder than anticipated. I had others tell me they had an easy recovery for Hip replacement. I am not at all in agreement with that... I need to have the other side done, but I think I will wait as long as possible....

Last edited:
You and me both Luna!

I went under on the 4th. I'm currently walking around the house unaided but don't dare go out without one crutch. I also won't go DOWN stairs without the crutch.

I've spoken with a lot of people and I think that (like most of us), they forget the pain and recuperation time and focus on how they feel now.

We will be fine. I'm already forgetting just how bad things were pre-op. I was working from home for weeks and using a stick to get from the kitchen to the lounge but the acute pain is already a distant memory.

I agree about the sleep, I'm struggling to stay awake while watching TV but as soon as I get horizontal, I'm wide awake. It's horrible!

We are getting better though, and we will get even better. Patience. Sending you love.

I think we've all heard the stories about the quick easy recovery but few have that experience. If you read the recovery guidelines and the recovery timeline it will give you a realistic picture of recovery. This is a major surgery but it will give you a major improvement but it takes time and a lot of patience.
Are you doing any PT? Are you icing?

@lunathegrif
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
You have been added to the November Nimbles .

I am wondering if it is normal to still not be able to put full weight on it after 3 weeks.... still need the cane.
It is normal to use a cane for several weeks or longer for some after THR, everyone is different with their recovery.
As long as you have a limp you will need a cane, the cane helps promote good gait habits.

How long do people usually stay on pain meds.
Again everyone is different, some are off pain meds in a few days, others continue for 3-4 months.

I had others tell me they had an easy recovery for Hip replacement.
Easy is what they remember, what actually happened was probably quite different.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I needed the cane for 8 to 9 weeks.

Yes, it's normal to use the cane at three weeks. You just had major surgery.

The pain med you stopped is a narcotic I assume. Any chance you can take that right before bed? Might help with your sleep.

Make sure your PT isn't causing additional pain. PT's can be great, but a lot of them sometimes push too hard too soon.

Also you can call your surgeon to ask for different pain meds that might have different side effects on you. And you can call your surgeon's office to get the nurse's or PA's view on how you're recovering. They expect calls from patients after surgery, and I found it so helpful to bounce my recovery frustrations off the mind of my surgeon's chief nurse. You can mention the sleep issue and the pain issue.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I had an unrealistic idea of this surgery and recovery.
Yup - sounds like your surgeon/medical team didn't set your expectations very well. This is major surgery. It does not matter how active you were before the op. You need time to let that hip recover.

You might want to ask your family doctor or your surgeon's office for an alternative pain medication. If you are in pain you can not increase your mobility. In addition, as you are finding, your sleep is limited.

Please read the recovery guidelines Chris left for you (above). Early days for you but you can get back on track with this recovery very quickly.

I needed the case for 8 to 9 weeks.

Yes, it's normal to use the cane at three weeks. You just had major surgery.

The pain med you stopped is a narcotic I assume. Any chance you can take that right before bed? Might help with your sleep.

Make sure your PT isn't causing additional pain. PT's can be great, but a lot of them sometimes push too hard too soon.

Also you can call your surgeon to ask for different pain meds that might have different side effects on you. And you can call your surgeon's office to get the nurse's or PA's view on how you're recovering. They expect calls from patients after surgery, and I found it so helpful to bounce my recovery frustrations off the mind of my surgeon's chief nurse. You can mention the sleep issue and the pain issue.

Good luck.
I agree about the sleep, I'm struggling to stay awake while watching TV but as soon as I get horizontal, I'm wide awake. It's horrible!

Thank you for your response! I am feeling pretty down and appreciate your input. It just hurts too much to not use the cane, I can put a good amount of pressure on it, but not full yet, which is just surprising. I got off the walker so quick, but can't shake the cane yet. Ya, I may have try to that, taking the narcotic at night, I am getting almost no sleep. it's so weird, I feel pretty good during the day, laying on the couch, but as soon as I get in bed, it starts aching and my heel on the effected foot/leg bothers me all night long. it's is pure torture.

I am glad to hear you are doing well and able to go Cane-Less!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to ask your family doctor or your surgeon's office for an alternative pain medication. If you are in pain you can not increase your mobility. In addition, as you are finding, your sleep is limited.

thank you for your response. Yes I read through all of the info one this site and I must say, it made me feel better about my progress...

I think I am going to have to ask my regular dr. for a sleeping pill on Monday, after the weekend. last night was the worse night of "sleep" yet. I am only getting like 3 or 4 hrs.. it's pure torture.

I think we've all heard the stories about the quick easy recovery but few have that experience. If you read the recovery guidelines and the recovery timeline it will give you a realistic picture of recovery. This is a major surgery but it will give you a major improvement but it takes time and a lot of patience.
Are you doing any PT? Are you icing?

Thanks for your response. Yes I am icing and I had PT coming to the house for the first 2 weeks, 3 times a week and I do the exercises 2x's a day that he taught me... my dr. doesn't want me to start in office PT until week 4. I am just suppose to continue the exercises my PT guy game me until then. Wants me to heal more first.... and walk for 10 minutes every hour (which he had me doing from the beginning.

I can just go by my recovery and what is posted on this site but PT seems to be over stressed and overrated. In many cases it seems to make the recovery a lot harder than it needs to be with pretty much the same end result. For many it causes the cycle of causing pain and then looking for pain relief so you can do more PT and cause more pain.

I have to agree with Eman, @lunathegrif PT is over prescribed and often causes way more problems than it helps. Many people find they still need some pain meds to sleep long after they have given them up during the day. When you are distracted by everything else going on the minor aches and pains aren't very noticeable, but when you lie in bed with no other stimulation it all comes to the forefront. You have the right idea to let your body heal more before starting any PT. You can always do that down the road after all those soft tissues have had a chance to heal. Early days, things will continue to improve!

Hello @lunathegrif - and :welome:

Thank you for the date of your hip replacement. Which hip was replaced? If you tell us that, We'll add it to your signature for you?

I will add your name and surgery date to the November Nimbles team thread.
Please remember that the team threads are primarily to allow you to see who has had surgery the same month as you. Discussion of issues, comments, and questions regarding recovery must be kept in your own individual recovery threads.

It sounds as if you went into this surgery without realising that it's normal for recovery to take a long time.
You've had major surgery. The end was sawn off the largest bone in your body and your pelvis was cut and shaped as well. Many of your soft tissues were pulled aside to allow large metal parts to be inserted.

No matter how young, active and fit you were before surgery, your body is going to need gentle treatment for a long time, to recover. You can't just bounce back in a few weeks.

I'm afraid that a very necessary part of your recovery is to rest enough to allow for healing.

Yes, it's quite normal to not be able to walk normally initially. It takes time to heal.
Sleep disturbance is normal too. The trick is to take daytime naps.

Hi thank you the info. I had my right hip done.
My mother had both of her hips done, 6 months apart. I guess my expectation was set be how her recovery went. but I am having a completely different recovery than she did. She was in her 70's when she did it, and just seemed to have a much easier recovery. I wonder if I have done something to injure myself already....because I do not feel like I feel a little better each day. Today I woke up and feel worse than yesterday... so hard.

Hi all, not sure if I am doing this right, but I am wondering how those in the Nov group who had surgery at the beginning of the month are doing? I had surgery on right hip on Nov. 6... I am still having a good amount of pain especially at night...sleep is still hard to come by. I stopped taking prescription pain meds after 2 weeks because it was causing too much disruption is bowel movements.... but now I am back to taking one before bedtime to try to help with sleep. I am still in a good amount of discomfort. maybe I am on my feet too much.

:wave: @lunathegrif
I'm sorry that you are struggling so...:console2:
I don't know if you have actually injured yourself, per se, but I can tell you, like some other members, that if you possibly strained still healing muscles and tendons with PT early out, you may certainly be feeling a set back and it may take a bit after dialing it back to get back on track.
Just walking right now, short distances but often, is all that is required and still lots of ice and elevation.:ice:
Self induced tendonitis can be a bear to get over.

All night Sleep definitely was a problem piece of my recovery puzzle...won't depress you with how long it took me...but I did finally get there.

My mother had both of her hips done, 6 months apart. I guess my expectation was set be how her recovery went. but I am having a completely different recovery than she did. She was in her 70's when she did it, and just seemed to have a much easier recovery.
I remember @Layla relating her mother's hip replacement at 81, and she said her mom practically waltzed out of the hospital.:) :-) (:
Really can't compare recoveries, so try not to think that how it is now is how it will be.
I know one month out, for me, was prime time for the Post Op Blues :unsure: (tap on the blue link for recovery article review)
Be kind and don't do ANY PT exercises for the rest of the week and see if that is helping. What do you have to lose?
Just a snapshot in time is what I told myself...all temporary.
Healing mojo coming at you:ok:

Hello, I had my RTHR on Nov 5. I also cannot sleep at night....nagging pain that can be pretty much ignored during the day causing sleep disturbance. I am also trying not to take anything other than tylenol. Are you experiencing soreness when walking? I am still having pain when trying to walk. Not doing any structured PT. Mostly a soreness extending down into my knee.

@lunathegrif You will notice I moved your post from the November group thread to your recovery thread. The group thread is a listing only to be used by members to find others who have had surgery in the same month. Once you identify a member either tag them on your own thread or find their recovery thread to chat.

@brisco06 reply has also been moved from that thread.

I had surgery on right hip on Nov. 6... I am still having a good amount of pain especially at night...sleep is still hard to come by. I stopped taking prescription pain meds after 2 weeks because it was causing too much disruption is bowel movements..

Would you consider Extra Strength Tylenol for a time, until your pain eases?
The recently retired forum nurse often recommended Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg, 4x daily. Not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. Any other meds you're taking that contain Acetaminophen must be calculated into that amount of 4000 mg.

You need sleep for healing. Our body does its best healing while we’re asleep. Possibly if you took 1000mg of Tylenol every six hours, you’d feel better. Consider talking it over with a member of your surgeons care team, or just trying it.

My mother had both of her hips done, 6 months apart. I guess my expectation was set be how her recovery went. but I am having a completely different recovery than she did. She was in her 70's when she did it, and just seemed to have a much easier recovery.

As Mojo mentioned, its advised that we don’t compare our recovery with others recoveries. Our hips are in varying states of deterioration at the time of surgery, some may be more mobile afterward due to good pain management, better sleep, a higher pain threshold etc. My mom at 81 breezed out of the hospital less than 48 hrs post op using only a cane. She maintained the walker only slowed her down and got in her way! I wasn‘t able to do that at age 60.

Another tip, please do not look for daily progress. You will only be disappointed if you continue to do so. What worked for me, was to pick a day of the week, let’s say Sunday, only allow yourself to reflect back over the past week each Sunday and I’m betting you’ll notice progress then. Your mobility or flexibility is better, your pain is easing, you’re sleeping better, you'll notice something.

At not even a month post op, it’s still early days for you. Take it slow, you will get there.
Happy Tuesday, I hope it’s a good one! :)

Hello, I had my RTHR on Nov 5. I also cannot sleep at night....nagging pain that can be pretty much ignored during the day causing sleep disturbance. I am also trying not to take anything other than tylenol. Are you experiencing soreness when walking? I am still having pain when trying to walk. Not doing any structured PT. Mostly a soreness extending down into my knee.
Hi.... yes I am still having pain when trying to walk. This is a surprise to me, not sure why, thought i'd be further alone, but I have to use the cane. My dr. said he wants me using it until at least 5 or 6 weeks. I started out today feeling pretty good, but by now, 4 PM I am feeling very sore and swollen. maybe I did too much. most days by about now, I get sore. I am defiantly back to taking pain medicine at night to try to sleep, got 5 hours last night... yipeee

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean