THR I wanna sleep!<

Hi @Donnarita
I still use a big pillow down between my legs, sometimes I put it crosswise under my knees or my calves, I keep it lengthwise when I want to roll on either side and it makes a big spacer to keep me comfy. not sure I still need it but I am only 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery and I have gotten quite accustomed to it being there I make the bed with that under my side of the sheet LOL

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

So I am entering my 6th week...the other day I pushed with legs like heel slides that I was fine doing and got a pain in my groin...I was doing so good...no cane in house any more lots walking etc...now this is such a set back grrrrrrrr...I have groin pain radiating to hip a little...back to cane...u can do less walking etc with some pain but don't know what to do...work thu it or do both I g and rest and elevate...then it gets stiffer..I go for my out patient PT consult Tom...oh boy just what I need phys therapy to make it worse...has anyone done any thing like this ...this happened about 4 days ago. ...Tx Smarties!!!

I was pushing myself back to adjust position in pillows!!!

Hi @Donnarita
I've had different little aches / pains intermittently. I haven't experienced what you have though....so sorry, no help. How about directing it to @Josephine.....
Hope it eases up or you get an answer from your PT or Josephine.

Called my outpatient PT I am done with...he said my muscles are still weak and I prob strained one...do what doesn't hurt me and give it time ....hope so...:(

I would agree with that.

However, to start with, would you give me an indication of the site of this pain using this chart?

hip-references-horz.jpg

Josephine it's at T R2F area...I rested more today iced...it hurts most when I'm one position for a while when first get up to move...I can do my 15 minute walk non stop in minimal pain...right where I first felt the pain when I strained it is where it still hurts ...not much pain at all in hip area...I go Tom for my first out patient PT consult...I called my inpatient PT who discharged me...he said it sounds like a muscle pull or strain in groin...that those muscles are still weak and the way I moved strained it...he told me do only what I can...if any pain stop..i am hoping it just needs some time get better what do you think?? Tx Josephine..I go to OS Aug 8 for xrays and follow up post op visit...

Its just so disappointing when you make such great progress and go backwards...but I know these glitches do happen and I won't let it get me down...

he said it sounds like a muscle pull or strain in groin...that those muscles are still weak and the way I moved strained it.
I'd tend to agree with him as you are only 6 weeks out as yet!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Sure Josephine!!!! I went for my first our patient PT consult today...the therapist told me probably a muscle strain...not uncommon...I will get back to where I was in time...alternate heat now with the ice...cut out all the phys therapy exercises till next week and just do some walking here and there not to stiffen up and be immobile....I do feel better already...he even showed me how sleep on my side!!! Lord. God thank you for this small blessing!! He feels my operative hip side is lower ...don't know if that will be corrected in time..I do feel better today!!!! :)

@Donnarita golly, I have that pain and I didn't DO anything LOLOL. Not making little of yours, I'm sure it's just a pull as all are saying, and you have wise PT indeed to tell you to stop for now! Some of them reported on here push a patient way past the point of no return.

What is the secret to sleeping on op side, please? I would love to know! My last hip, it took 4 months before I could spend even 15 minutes on it, and then that's no use because that's 15 minutes of not sleeping...

Sleep well tonight, and tell me tomorrow and we will thank the Lord together!!!!

I am going to try on non operated side....not operated side ....no way!!!

Sure Josephine!!!!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine and please factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness) .

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

#1. Posterior. #2. Pain level a 3. ....... #3. No pain meds daily...3xweek 50mg Tramadol to sleep...4. Alternate ice and heat..20 to 30 min 5 to 6x day ...#5. Not a high elevation anymore per PT...one pillow in recliner and bedtime..I'm between moving around during day and at night while watch tv...#6. Do some chores...make bed...light cooking...dust...vacuum not often...I do only a couple chores each day..break it up day to day....no shopping hubbie does that...have only been out here and there dinner and short trips and now therapy..#7. Only 1 PT session so far...just stretching and walking...housewalk and outside on walkway 15 min every 2 to 3 hours...stopped all other in home PT exercises per out patient PT...seems to feel better with heat alternating...Tx Josephine

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done (which means please make a list and not an essay!)
Can you redo this for me as I requested? I really don't have time to pick it apart! So sorry!

Its ok....I have granddaughter here ..hopped on late...don't have time now to re do!!! Tx Josephine!!

Jolly good! Be back later ....

Hi @Donnarita
You've been quiet for a time.
Just wondering how you're doing? Hoping all is well...
A great day to you!

TY@ Layla & Zauberflote for thinking of me!!! I am doing good! 7 week post op visit...all restrictions lifted except one position I must abide to for lifetime!! Drive test to PT first time!! And YES YES YES I slept on sides and stomach !!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaah...feels so good!! Using cane less in house and walking 25 to 30 minutes 3x day ..PT 3X WEEK...now that I am out n about more I am not online as MUCH!!! My daughter in law is due any day with my son's first baby girl!!! Her due date is today but they will induce her next week if needed...TY @Zauberflote the brownies are delicious!!!- now let's play checkers!#!I gotta catch up on everyone's threads!!!miss u all !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Helpmyknee21
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom