THR Third new joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddhabear

So, I was here three years ago when I had my right knee replaced in July, followed by left replaced in August due to osteoarthritis. Knees really didn't heal well. Pain in both knees continued and started to get worse 7 months ago. The constant pain and inability to function normally had already taken its toll when I developed cardiac issues last December that were pretty clearly stress related. The pain started to increase more in May when my PCP finally suggested I return to my OS. I had already put him out of the picture and resigned myself to the fact that I was just one of those people who didn't recover well. So saw my OS in June, and first of both hips was replaced July 13th. There you have it. Back again. And will get the final word Monday on the left hip. Aaargh! Don't know if anyone out there is on their third joint but I could use some perspective. Both knees still haven't improved much since the hip replacement, although my OS thought the pain in the knees was related to the deteriorated hips. I am only 17 days out but hoping everyday to feel more progress with the knees, never mind the hip. Remembered all the lessons from three years ago about meds, ice, etc. loyal to PT, and fortunately I have the same PT as before. Still need the meds (taking oxicodone, 5 mg, down from 10mg, every 4 hours) for both the hip and knees.

@Buddhabear I had my 4th joint replaced on July 6th. My right hip(anterior). The past three weeks my right knee,shin and ankle ache terribly at night. I think it is the way I am walking on the leg with the cane. My knees never bothered me after surgery (BTKR)in 2013 thank goodness! So, Give it time.... Once you have two good hips and get back your balance,your knees may start to feel much better. Everything is connected. Blessings! Joan

Buddhabear,
You have been through a lot with your joints. @tashia has had 5 joints replaced, @susanne , has had many joints replaced, @NightQuilter , @djklaugh , @Coppernob all have had 4 or more joints replaced.

Please update your surgery dates in your signature, just hover over your username, click on signature and add your information there, Thanks!

@pumpkin @Buddhabear Nope I'm only at 3 joints replaced ..... so far :) left shoulder may be next on the agenda though plus a couple of other joints have been grumpy lately ( L thumb, L elbow, R wrist) Thankfully, with a quick knock on wood, my knees are doing OK!

I sure hope, Buddhabear, that when you've had both hips replaced that the problems with your knees will evaporate!

I could really use some advice. I am now 5 weeks out and until 4 days ago I was pretty excited about my recovery. Tuesday I went grocery shopping and ended up doing a lot of standing. Right replaced hip aches but nothing more, and getting better. Left hip which will be replaced in November aches even more, and is getting worse. But the issue is both my knees that were replaced 3 years ago are killing me. They were awful before and my OS was confident with each hip replacement, my knees will improve. But after Tuesday they feel mechanically tight feeling and stiff. I band tight on both sides. Right knee is considerably better and it was by far worse before I had the right hip replaced. My PT exercises aren't helping anymore, and I have not been aggressive at all. I feel they are getting worse since Tuesday. I have done so little in the past 2 days. Icing and elevating, and trying to be off them for long periods of time with a walk in between. I get in the pool once a day for a brief dip and for the cooling. And that is about it.
Can I have done that much with a trip to the grocery store?? Is trying to be immobile for a while the right thing to do? I am hoping some of you frequent flyers like me have some advice - or maybe some of you pros out there. I am so discouraged.

Hi @Buddhabear
This coming Monday is 8 weeks since my THR. The replacement follows a failed attempt to fix the femoral head.
In all its been 5 months of recovery. I had my right knee totally replaced 5.5 years ago. Tha same knee had 3 previous other surgeries. All in all I was very happy with the outcome of my knee replacement. But, I have been having one heck of a time with my knee after the hip replacement.
It is very very tight and flexing it is moderately painful; my range of motion has decreased as well.
I'm in physical therapy and the therapist has recommended 2 stretches that have provided some temporary relief ( for my knee)
1) lying on back on bed scoot to edge and let leg dangle letting gravity stretch the glute muscles ( I use a 2-3 lb wt on the ankle but start with no wt.)
2) lying on my stomach in bed, take a strap tie to (ankle) leg, bend the knee an gently pull the strap toward your head and hold for whatever you feel is acceptable
The fact that I experience some relief gives me hope that it may improve in time with usage.
There are several other members in this forum with both replaced knees and hips and they all complain about knee pains being as bad as hips.
Stay in touch

Lalo, thanks - so I am not alone! My PT just gave me the first stretch you mentioned and there is temporary relief, so I guess that should be encouraging. So pain in replaced knees after hip replacement is not unusual? That in itself makes me want to try to be patient. I have been tortured all summer looking at my garden that needs a good weeding, so anxious to get active. But I don't want to mess anything up or set myself back. So, I'll keep stretching and cooling it.

I am so glad that I was able to help in at least a small way.
The knee pain has been as big of a concern with me as the hip.
The forum might want to consider a unique category of knees + hips; I think the recovery is a little unique and maybe more challenging.
@Buddhabear

Can I have done that much with a trip to the grocery store??
Indubitably! You need to read our recovery articles. I have made two of them bold which you should take special note of.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Thanks, Josephine, I intend to slow down again. Hard sometimes when life's demands get in the way. My 95 year old aunt lives with me and although she has made many adjustments and we both have help from friends, I am anxious to get gack to taking care of her a little better. But first things first, I'll slow down. I do feel I'd be further along if my 2 replaced knees weren't involved. I think they hurt more than the hip.
Thanks for the help.

How's that knee doing? This is week 2 for me with full wt. bearing. Been stretching and walking and it sure is hard. Seems like every 2-3,days a new pain shows up in that leg. But on the whole there are minuscule improvements in knee flexibility .

I tell, you hearing back from folks here that what my knees are going through is not abnormal makes me slow down, be patient, not stand on them too long, and keep the walikng and PT to a safe but increasing level. The right knee is improving faster, of course since the right hip was the one recently replaced. I wish i could get my left hip done sooner.
I know - the new pains are a challenge. My I band acts up on both sides but my PT gave me great stretches for that. She actually is only coming to my house one more time - I will so miss that. But I am driving now and could do outpatient PT if I wanted to. Still haven't decided on that.
Funny how the miniscule improvements can mean so much, huh?

Thanks, i have read them. I am at 8 weeks and doing a little more. Even the swimming is gentle, more like floating with a little stretching.

Buddhabear, I can't address your knee situation. But I may be able to offer some useful thoughts about your hips. You asked if a simple trip to the grocery store could cause a setback. Yes indeed. You are still very early in your recovery from your THR. The disturbance to soft tissue is often underestimated by hippies. Long after the incision heals, and long after the implant has adhered fully to the surrounding bone, we are still plagued by tender tissues that want just enough and not a smidgen more of the stretching and pounding we give them when we try to live a completely normal life. What could be more normal than grocery shopping?

But in that grocery store, we are often on our feet for a fairly long stretch. Up one aisle; down the next; many aisles. 45 minutes later, we are standing in a line....just standing....for five, ten minutes, maybe longer. And all this walking and standing is done on flooring that has no give under our feet. Even today, four years after my surgeries, I can walk for several miles outdoors, but half an hour in the grocery store or at the mall, and my feet and legs complain loudly. I can't wait to sit down.

I am convinced that soft tissue issues are the root of all evil! I too have IT band troubles on a fairly regular basis, and the tightness of these bands cause pain in a variety of spots up and down my legs. I tend to be too sedentary in the winter, and then it takes me all spring and summer to work out the aching and soreness. I get good results with deep tissue massage targeting the IT bands and quad muscles. The stretches help too. But I also get my best results when I get a fair amount of movement spread out over the course of the day. For me, I'm better off when I go for numerous shorter walks throughout the day, as opposed to one long walk.

Full healing from the THR takes at least a year, and often longer. To the extent that having sound, functioning hips will help your knee problems, you won't see your best results until you get the second hip taken care of, and you reach complete healing from both hip surgeries. So it seems like it is way too soon for you to really know if your hip surgeries will lead to full resolution of your knee pain.

Again...I have no insights into your knee pain. But after my THRs, I gradually got my full life back. I dance; I ride a bike; I walk with great pleasure....just got back from taking a 7 year old grandchild to Disney World for five days of criss-crossing the parks with no problems at all. Be patient....give your hips time to really heal. It would be wonderful if that's what your knees need too.

Sharon

All this takes time and (most importantly) patience! Tough when you have gone through multiple recoveries I can imagine. Glad you are starting to see some progress!

Thanks, all. Yes, any consistent progress is exciting. I fight getting really active, even gardening, because some days I really feel I can. I am getting better at looking at the big picture, not how I feel one moment. I am hoping I can get my second hip done sooner. Maybe it will be easier to heal slowly during the winter. After next surgery I am getting Pea Pod and will get groceries delivered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties