TKR Second Opinion Questions

GordieO

Country
United States United States
I'm an 85-year-old male who has been active with racquet sports and golf until the last two years. I had TKR (L) in Sept. of 2023. ROM, particularly extension, was problematic after three months and remains so today. Apparently, I grow scar tissue rapidly, and together with swelling that hasn't improved, have subsequently had two manipulations, the latter of which included being in a full leg cast to hopefully result in improved extension. The surgeon said I would be in the cast for 4 - 6 weeks. Actually, it was only 2 1/2 weeks because I was complaining of discomfort in my heel. Removing the cast revealed a severe wound slightly above the heel. Fortunately, it wasn't infected. Had it been, I may have lost my foot or worse. I am still going to P/T 2 -3 times a week. I changed from the clinic's group of therapists to a private company that I believe to be better, yet I'm still struggling because of the swelling, the knee pain and the wound on my heel. I met recently with the PA who said that one option might be complete revision of the surgery. She may have said some other things, but the thought of doing this all over again preventing me from listening any further. So, I am getting a second opinion from another orthopedic surgeon on May 2nd. I am asking you all for help in what specific questions I need to ask him regarding viable options other than a revision. There’s been no imaging done, so I plan on asking about that. I would really appreciate any help you could provide.

Hi and Welcome!

Please tell is the date of your TKR, and the dates of the MUAs. We‘ll put that information in a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

I’m so sorry for all you’ve been through. You’ve had a lot of done to your leg, in a short time, with those three procedures, plus time in a cast, plus an additional wound to deal with. Still in PT several times a week adds additional trauma, though at a lower level, by possibly over exercising your knee, which tells me that your knee really hasn’t had a chance to “just be” (if you know what I mean) and heal.

My first thought is, cut way back on PT, or even take some time off for a while. Spend more time icing and elevating to help reduce swelling. This recovery does take an average of a year, even without your MUAs, and you’re not quite even halfway through that yet.

Even though it’s been a while, will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi, @GordieO and welcome to our BoneSmart community. I’m glad you found us and decided to join.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced problems with your extension. That’s quite common after a knee replacement. Extension is the last thing to return and it can take some time….like months for some people, as it can come back very gradually.

I’m glad to hear you are free of the cast and hope no one suggests you do that again. Your first priority is to get the wound healed and your swelling reduced. If you do have adhesions (a specific type of scar tissue that can inhibit ROM and that is actually rare), that is something that can be addressed once these other things are better. There is no hurry to regain your complete extension, other than I know you’d like to be back to your normal life.

What is your current flex and extension?

I definitely support your thoughts about getting at least one more (maybe even 2-3) more opinions before agreeing to a revision. If there is nothing wrong with the implant, that doesn’t seem to be an appropriate option. There is a procedure called lysis of adhesions that can be done if other surgeons agree that you really do have adhesions that are holding you back.

But, first must be healing your wound and reducing swelling. Watch for signs of infection in the wound. Can you post a photo of it? That would help me see what you’re dealing with. It will be helpful if you start icing your knee as much as possible along withe elevating your leg (see article in the list left for you above on how to best do that) to try and reduce swelling. You’ll want to try and keep your activity (home chores, errands, exercises, or any physical activity) minimized for a couple of weeks and see if this makes a difference. Since you describe swelling early on that never resolved, I’m guessing that you’ve been doing to much too soon and thoroughly irritated your knee tissues. They need to settle before you can begin to see improvement. If you can take NSAIDs such as Aleve or Celebrex, try taking it on a regular schedule during this period of resting and icing and see if that makes a difference too. It may take a little trial and error to figure out what works best for you.

Don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have. We’re here for you.

Thank you, Jockette, for the words of recovery wisdom and the "Recovery Guideline" links! I've been so frustrated since my surgery last year, particularly the continuous swelling, the subsequent MUAs, the wound as a result of the full leg cast, and the painful P/T sessions all resulting in going seemingly nowhere in my recovery.

Left TKR - September 14, 2023
First MUA - November 9, 2023
Second MUA - January 23, 2024
Wound Care Treatment - February 15, 2024 (still continuing as of April 24, 2024 - 1 or 2 times every week)

I needed someone to tell me I was doing too much rehab! I've had knee pain since the surgery and still feel sharp pain with each step I take. I asked the surgeon, his PA and every P/T tech I was bounced around to, what I could do to make progress. "You need to work harder!!!!" seemed to be the only answer. At this point, I don't think these people listened when I continuously brought up the realization that the pain wasn't going away. So, tomorrow I am discontinuing P/T. I'm going to pay more attention to what my body is telling me. I'll use some of the ideas presented in the "Guidelines," together with some of the exercises I've learned from the various techs I've been seeing during months of treatment. And my new mantra: Pain Means No Gain!!!!

So, tomorrow I am discontinuing P/T. I'm going to pay more attention to what my body is telling me
Yes! Our bodies are really very smart -- we just need to learn to listen to what they are saying. I hope things turn around for you soon with this new approach.

I've had two successful TKR recoveries by following those guidelines that Jockette shared above. I can tell you that my right knee (done in 2021) continued to improve well into my second year. SO this time around (my latest TKR was in December), I'm taking things slow and steady.

my new mantra: Pain Means No Gain!!!!
Love this!

Jamie, thank you, for the words of wisdom. I'm no stranger to pain. I've had shoulder surgery, hernias, my prostate removed, my right hip replaced twice and my right achilles tendon repaired last year, and finally the left knee. The knee rehab is ten times worse than all of those surgeries combined!! Yes, the swelling is my primary concern in addition to the pain. I haven't been able to sleep in my bed since the MUAs and manage to get only limited sleep on our recliner. And I know that it's also hindering my progress. I purchased the Lounge Doctor cushion and just received it today, so I'm looking forward to using it on the couch today when watching TV and to possibly using it tonight to hopefully get some sleep in my bed! The only elevation I'm currently getting is using a large exercise ball either in bed or on the recliner for 2-3 30 minute sessions a day. I had been icing 2-3 times a day for 20 minutes, but stopped after I read somewhere that it loses effectiveness after a time with knee surgeries. I'm not too concerned about the wound. When asked how long I would be in the cast after my 2nd MUA, the surgeon said 4-6 weeks. I complained about heel discomfort twice and he finally had me come in after 2 1/2 weeks and removed the cast, which revealed a 1" x 2" wound that was 1/4" deep! If I hadn't continued complaining I could have easily lost a foot or even a lower leg to infection. Fortunately, that didn't happen. It's finally healing nicely, but it too has contributed to my lack of progress and lack of sleep.

My surgeon was very concerned about my lack of extension and is the main reason he recommended the MUAs. Of course, he showed my wife and I the pictures of total extension and flexion that he obtained during both MUAs. Pain wasn't something he wanted to talk much about, and in my opinion is the major reason why my rehab has been so poor. We haven't been measuring extension/flexion lately since I'm kinda stuck progress-wise. I would estimate my flexion to be somewhere around 96 degrees. I can get it to 103 but not without discomfort. I have achieved achieved -4 degrees extension on a machine called Genuease, again with discomfort. I've backed off on it lately and would guess that realistically it's likely 8-10 degrees from perfectly extended.

Thanks for the heads up on the lesions. If you can think of any other questions that would be worth exploring, I would surely appreciate it.

benne68, thank you for commenting on your experiences with your knees. My right knee is bone-on-bone, and at this point has been responding well to steroid injections over the years. I'll have to give this one a lot of thought before considering replacement. It seems to me that medical people look on joint replacement patients somewhat as asylum patients that they keep at bay by not giving us information could possibly make them look bad if push comes to shove. While that may seem like an indictment of the medical community, it's not. It's simply that I've lost confidence in my current surgeon and I don't have any other way to express my disappointment without coming off as someone who is simply an angry person. May peace be with you on your recovery journey for your second knee replacement.

I'm glad you're here... what a sad saga!

Elevating and icing remains effective for ongoing swelling and pain if done for 45 minutes at a time - which avoids the risk of rebound swelling from shorter sessions. Just make sure there's a layer of fabric between your knee and the cold pack.

I have some mild sleep aid suggestions I'll post in a minute...

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds. (Note: men with prostate issues should check with their primary care providers before using antihistamines, as they can promote urinary retention).

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.

And my new mantra: Pain Means No Gain!!!

Here's another good phrase- "Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change"
Glad you're listening to your body, you've been through a lot. I wish you comfort and all the best going forward.

Thanks, for the sleep suggestions. I've used magnesium for years. I'm a heart patient and also have digestive issues. I also take a Benadryl before bed for allergies. And I also have a bottle of Valerian Root supplement that I haven't tried yet. Sounds like we're on some sort of a mind meld. I believe my sleep issues are fueled by two things, 1) I've had to learn how to sleep on my back since the surgery. I'm mainly a side sleeper. So, I struggle with finding a comfortable position. I've also been consumed with keeping my leg straight while sleeping because my extension is so poor. 2) I lay down in the bed on my back and can't seem to get comfortable due to the ongoing pain in my knee. So I get up and go out to the living room and usually, after a time, get some rest in our recliner.

I believe my pain is nerve related. Even when I was taking the Oxy and Tramadol, I still experienced pain. Being a heart patient excludes me from using NSAIDS, and Tylenol doesn't help much. So, I deal with it the best I can. Perhaps I've found some relief when I purchased the Lounge Doctor cushion mentioned on the website for effective elevation. I used it last night and managed to get some meaningful rest. Tonight will be the true test to verify that it wasn't just a fluke!

And my new mantra: Pain Means No Gain!!!

Here's another good phrase- "Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change"
Glad you're listening to your body, you've been through a lot. I wish you comfort and all the best going forward.
Thanks, Layla, for the reply. Amen to "asking for a change!" I just wish that the medical community that's supposed to be helping us would collectively stop telling us to "work harder" when we voice our concerns about lack of progress in our recovery and our complaint of ongoing pain.

I don’t know where you read about ice not being effective for swelling with a knee replacement at some point, but it wasn’t here on BoneSmart because that is absolutely not true. In fact, your icing schedule in the past of 20-minute sessions 3 times daily is what is recommended for injuries and not TKR recovery. I suggest you go back to icing your knee both front and back any time you are elevating on your Lounge Doctor. Do it for at least 45 minutes at a time, making sure that you have a towel between the ice source and your leg to prevent skin damage. You cannot over ice when you’re dealing with post-op swelling. And, be sure to ice at night when you are in bed. For me, this night time ice routine really helped me sleep better and not be so stiff in the morning.

Do consider getting those additional opinions. I’m not sure I’d have confidence in your current surgeon after what you’ve been through. It is very possible that your swelling is contributing to your lack of ROM, but it is a possibility that adhesions are preventing your movement. Only when you reduce the swelling will you (and your surgeon) have a better idea of what is causing it. The fact that your surgeon got great movement during the MUAs seems to indicate the problem is swelling and not adhesions.

I don't remember the exact source regarding the idea that icing can be bad. Both the doctor and the P/T techs recommended the 3 20 minute icing sessions. I've been on a mission since I made my mind up to get a second opinion and to stop P/T, so I've been to many websites searching for ideas that might help with my own unique situation. What stood out to me were several comments suggesting that prolonged icing can restrict blood flow to the damaged region and actually hinder the healing process because it constricts the blood vessels. Since I wasn't improving at all, my brain decided that stopping the icing might help (it hasn't). By the way, the bonesmart.org community website has been the best of the many that I visited.

I now realize that I need to rest the knee for a time to hopefully reduce the pain to the point that I can begin my own recovery program to include stretching exercises that allow me to control the level pain and not be a slave to it. I will restart today icing for 45 minutes while on the Lounge Doctor. Since I'm experimenting with sleeping the the Lounge Doctor, I'm fearful that it might get wet. I'm also not sure how my brain will react to going to bed with ice!! I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to follow up with me.

In fact, your icing schedule in the past of 20-minute sessions 3 times daily is what is recommended for injuries and not TKR recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many therapists still go with the old 20-minutes, 3 times a day routine. We go with what works here on BoneSmart (and with what our supporting surgeons have to say), so that’s where our guidance comes from. All of our surgeons now tell their patients to ice as much as possible for pain and swelling. You’re doing the right thing to experiment and find out what works for you.

If you’re worried about water on the Lounge Doctor, just wrap it up in a trash bag. A little water shouldn’t hurt it anyway, but that would ease your mind.

@GordieO

It is not necessary to quote a whole post, to reply to someone. When you want to reply, rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box and type your reply. No need to quote if you are replying to the post directly above your reply.

You can also mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username, like this: @GordieO and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:

I'm also not sure how my brain will react to going to bed with ice
I initially felt the same...until I fell asleep, :heehee:
I was surprised too and would normally sleep for three-four hours, wake to use the bathroom, switch out the ice pack for a fresh one and go back to sleep for three-four more hours. I found it to be the best pain reliever!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Gordie. I hope your weekend is a pleasant one.

I iced the whole time I was sitting or lying down. I had an ice machine, which circulated cold water to a baffle around my knee. This felt so good! When the ice would melt and the water became warmer, the knee would become painful and wake me up. Once replenishing the ice container and I had that cold water circulating, I'd fall right back to sleep! I had this same routine during the day. I was addicted to icing! This routine kept my pain and swelling much lower than it would have been without it. It also kept my requirement for pain meds lower.

I used quite a simple and cheap machine ( Aircast cryo) for icy cool water around my knee. It wasn't quite as cold as ice packs but I preferred that- especially in the Winter. I used it for several months and slept with the water jacket open and my knee resting on it.
I found it an absolute lifesaver.

@GordieO …. I wouldn’t advise you trying to keep your leg straight for extended periods of time. As you have found, that can be very uncomfortable and may even result in some of your swelling and pain. It is better to do some extension exercises during the day - gently, so as not to overstress the soft tissues that are trying to realign to normal. Extension is the most difficult thing to regain, so don’t worry if it takes some time. When you’re trying to rest, the Lounge Doctor is designed to put just the correct slight bend in your leg that should be comfortable for your knee. You can find information on extension exercises in this article from our BoneSmart Library.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member