THR Nickel Allergy and Total Hip Replacement

Tawney

Country
United States United States
Hello all, thank you to everyone that shares.
I am scheduled for TRHR April 2 but I think I will cancel. I am highly reactive to nickel according to Orthopedic Analysis and have had a nickel allergy since my teen age years. I am 78. In 2019 I developed systemic nickel allergy syndrome probably due to a plant based diet and an orthodontic wire (7% nickel) placed by a dentist who had me do patch testing and knew I was allergic to nickel. At first I had terrible IBS symptoms but followed the fod map diet...all better until I developed peri anal eczema due to the SNAS. After following a low nickel diet for 8 months the burning is no longer horrible... but tolerable. After playing pickle ball regularly in December without any discomfort my right hip and left knee became terribly sore in January. Both the family physician and orthopedic surgeon say replace hip and then knee. Bone on bone.
HOWEVER, I have yet to see a post anywhere from a person with a severe nickel allergy who had a successful knee or hip replacement. Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences? Thank you. I am going to schedule a consultation with the surgeon... hopefully this week.

Hi @Tawney and welcome to BoneSmart.

There's been a lot of posts about nickel allergy and some very interesting research.

I will post some info shortly. Meanwhile use our forum search for Nickel (top right in blue bar).

Last edited by a moderator:
The gold standard in the USA for metal allergy testing is a blood test through Orthopedic Analysis in Chicago.

For knee replacement, recent studies have shown that the major source of tiny metal fragments in the knee is not the implants themselves. It's the metals in the cutting block and the metal in the drill bits. So even joints receiving the non-nickel implants are at risk. From what we have read **but not 100% confirmed** it's possible that the Mako robotic system avoids .

My experience is with knees so I can't speak to the hip issue.

Best of luck. Meanwhile in case you decide to proceed I will next leave you some links to our articles.

@Tawney There are implants suitable for patients with metal allergies. If you use the search feature as mendogal suggested, you will find threads that discuss this. Your surgeon should be able to suggest the proper implant for your needs. No need to cancel your surgery!

My surgeon found an implant that is .05 nickel. Hmmm .... would you give a person with a peanut allergy one peanut?

@Tawney I think we didn't understand how throughly systemic your allergy is - well, I didn't until reading the post you left on another member's thread and as I replied there, I realized you have what a good friend of mine has - even eating locally grown organic produce from a farm that happens to have high soil nickel content can lay her out for a few days.
I think your immunologist and your ortho should be consulting with each other.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom