TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

Just as a follow up, I emailed with my surgeons NP and discussed it with my PT and both said I will be more than ready physically to endure a second surgery. My PT is already having me do some exercises to make sure I can negotiate the stairs once I get back home from the second surgery. My left knee is feeling pretty good and I can get up and down the stairs without any issue now. Going down was a challenge but I am about 90% there, going up hasn’t been an issue at all. l have my pre surgery physical tomorrow so as long as that goes ok I guess I’m good to go. Again thanks for checking in. Enjoy the day.

My left knee is feeling pretty good and I can get up and down the stairs without any issue now. Going down was a challenge but I am about 90% there, going up hasn’t been an issue at all.
Then you should be fine. Remember, it's up with the "good" (which will be your left!) and down with the "bad" (your newly replaced right).

I guess I’m good to go.
Since you still have a few weeks before surgery, be sure to focus on good nutrition -- especially lots of protein -- to help your body handle this second recovery. Here are a couple of articles that may be helpful:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

Great news! I am happy to hear your medical team has no reservation about you proceeding with your Right THR. Best wishes for your pre-op tomorrow. I'll bet you pass with flying colors. :yes!:
Summer 2024 should be a good one!
@Jtmav

Hello and Happy Wednesday!
Tomorrow is your big day. I hope you're ready to roll. I'll be thinking of you and I'm wishing you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. It will feel so good to have both surgeries behind you and solely focus on slowing healing and getting back to all the things you love without the pain of deteriorating joints. I'm happy for you and look forward to following your recovery. Best Wishes!
@Jtmav

We are rooting for you! Praying health and a fast recovery :friends:

Yes, hard to believe that my second surgery is tomorrow I’m approaching this as the final step in this journey. Once done all of the recovery work has an end date, I hope. The past three months have been challenging and with the second surgery hanging over my head. I’m grateful that I am able to do this and grateful to this community for its support. Thanks for thinking of me. Prayers are welcomed. Check in with you post surgery.

Two down, none to go! All went well. In recovery room waiting for my wife to pick me up. Thank you for all the prayers. I’ll check in tomorrow

Wonderful news! All done and dusted as our friends from the UK say, lol.
Safe travels home and lots of comfort to you as you begin healing once again. :)
@Jtmav

So first night in is Deja vu all over again, little sleep. But this time is different for both me and my wife. Much more relaxed as we pretty much know what to expect. Of course a curve ball or two can be expected but all in all less stressful. The surgery went without a hitch and I am in the recliner, ice machine humming and enjoying a nice cup of coffee. One anecdote, the OT who helped me at the hospital had both her knees replaced 8 years ago, 5 weeks apart. I asked her for her view on forced knee bends by PTs. She confided in me, embarrassingly since she is an OT, that she allowed her PT to do this resulting in the need for MUA, after which she was fine. Coincidentally she’s a cyclist as well. She said nothing good comes from the forced bend and to bend as far as you can by yourself and just be patient. My surgeon stopped by after and related to me that he has seen patients achieve recovery as far as 3 years post surgery. So IMHO many of the suggestions here have been confirmed by people who know and I am not going to allow any unnecessary overtly painful episodes this time with PT. Hope to get a nap in at some point today. So that’s all for day one 2.0!

Happy Friday!
Interesting info you posted above! Often, it is difficult to get members to take cautionary advice because not all are negatively affected by the demands of over zealous physical therapists, but it seems a lot more share that they suffered unnecessarily due to aggressive PT. Thanks also for noting your OS's confirmation that progress can come beyond one year post op. I'm happy to read that you will respect your body's limitations and hopefully ignore any unrealistic timelines to achieve goals. I imagine it must be comforting to have a much more relaxed feeling beginning recovery again so soon.
I hope your day is a peaceful one and you're able to sneak that nap in. :sleep:
Best Wishes always!
@Jtmav

Thanks, Layla. In home PT will stop by late this morning and it’s the same therapist from 3 months ago. I’m feeling optimistic. Stay well.

Prayers for a no-stress day with lots of rest!

this time is different for both me and my wife. Much more relaxed as we pretty much know what to expect.
Yes! I've been having the same feeling with my current (2nd) TKR recovery. No "fear of the unknown" this time around.

Take things slowly. You've got this!

Here’s a refresher course for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thanks for the reminders. As the nerve block wears off I am getting more pain on the outside of my quad between the knee and hip. I thought at first it was from the tourniquet but not sure now. Using a different ice pad there. See how that plays out. In home PT went well, just keep forgetting it’s my right knee and not the left this time :oyvey:

So same person, different knee, different experience. 4th day since surgery and I am feeling optimistic. Home PT came, same therapist I had last time, and we had a good reconnect. With this knee I am feeling a lot of pain in my IT band, running from my hip down to my knee on the outside of the leg. Very tight and sore. The PT said it’s very common with TKR but I had none of it with the first knee. Oxy, ice and elevation, the three legged stool of recovery.:) Just had a great nap, did some walking and stretches and now settling in to do some reading. Beautiful day here so I got outside for a little bit. All good.

same person, different knee, different experience
Exactly! No two knees are the same -- even two knees in the same person. (I'm learning that first-hand with my latest recovery. :wink: )

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope your week is going well and the IT Band pain is easing.
Wishing you a good day! :SUNsmile:
@Jtmav

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom