TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Warning, the first one may be like marbles. Sorry couldn't come up with a better description.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
The first week was more like marble-sized rabbit pellets.

As I start this next week, things seem like they're working their way closer to wha might be considered normal.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, hubby went and talked to our pharmacist. He sold him some MiraLax and Senokot. Said the MiraLax was the milder of the two and not to use both at the same time. So I went to the big dog first and took two Senokot tablets. It's supposed to work in 6-12 hours so if you turn on your local news later and hear of an unidentified explosion in Kansas……………
 
Yes @referee54 , according to Andy Warhol, we all want our 5 minutes or so of fame but I would rather fame not find me in this situation.

As far as the rest goes, I am doing quite well. Still taking my percocet although only take 1 every 4 hours during the day and then 2 every 4 hours at night. I've been sleeping very well. I do my exercises but don't overdo and walk around the house a few times a day. My leg is all kinds of colors but, while the whole leg was swollen, the swelling has gone down a lot in my ankles and calves and is mostly isolated around my knee. The time spent icing and elevating are helping with that, I'm sure. My ankle in that leg hurts a bit mostly, I think, because I'm still not walking quite right on it. I take aspirin twice a day and wear support hose to minimize the risk the blood clots. I will be glad when all the pain pills and aspirin are behind me -- my stomach isn't terribly appreciative of it all. I'm starting to get a little bored because I'm really not much of a "sit-arounder" (don't really think that's a word). Tomorrow will already be a week post-surgery so I'm looking forward to having that first week under my belt!

It is feeling "tight" under my bandage that I am to change on Sunday and I'm wondering if the staples are already starting to pull -- does that happen this soon? That's what it feels like. If so, it's going to be a long time until May 19 when I go in to have them removed.

Roxie
 
Yes @referee54 , according to Andy Warhol, we all want our 5 minutes or so of fame but I would rather fame not find me in this situation.
:rotfl:
I'm starting to get a little bored because I'm really not much of a "sit-arounder" (don't really think that's a word). Tomorrow will already be a week post-surgery so I'm looking forward to having that first week under my belt!
YEP!!! MAny of us had this done because we could not stand the inactivity.

That being stated, though we often preach of patience---you need to be patient and let the knee rest and heal--doing to much, too soon, even if it seems to be innocuous---can cause more swelling, stiffness, and pain. Many of us had to find patience that we did not know we had.
 
I doubt it's the staples. My knee tightened up around that time. You have a big tendon that's feeling pressure from the knee swelling. My PT has spent all week massaging that tendon and helping it to loosen up. It's slowly been doing that. In fact, today she remarked my TKR knee was flexing further than my "good" (still needs a TKR) knee.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Here is something for you to take a look at:
"tight Band" feeling across the front of my knee

Thanks. This article, and @PolarBear60 's explanation about the tendon explains things better. I just couldn't quite believe it could be staples pulling yet. So I will continue to be patient and not overdo things on the knee. You're right, I did this because I couldn't stand the way inactivity felt and now I just need to be patient enough to get myself to the point where I can be active again! You all have my permission to scold me anytime you feel it's necessary; I have a hunch I'll need it more than once. Polar Bear, it sounds like you are doing well too. I don't know how you feel about it, but I find it very helpful to have "comrades" along this path with me. My husband is wonderful but has never had a knee replacement so is limited in his empathy!
 
I'm glad to read that things are going so well for you! Your pain seems to be under control, and you're able to sleep well! Both are so important. I'm also happy that your PT isn't a "pusher". :)
 
Yep, I remember saying it felt like a rubber band was around my knee. Good to know its a tendon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You all have my permission to scold me anytime you feel it's necessary;
I will use what my students called the "MR C. Voice", "The Look", and the "Head shake." One former student (now a pediatrician, said that he had never been so scared when it happened in English I(H).
 
It is not really a tendon---Here is what it is:

That tight band is caused by scar tissue but not the adhesions type of scar tissue. When the surgeon opens up the knee, he has to undercut the skin and superficial structures from that centre line to each side of the knee in order to get good access all round the bones. Part of the healing process is when those flaps reattach themselves to the main body of the leg. This healing creates a thin layer of scar tissue across the front and sides of the knee. But scar tissue isn't anywhere near as flexible as normal tissue so it feels like a tether or a clamp across the knee if there is any swelling and during later normal activity.

It will gradually reduce in size and thickness over the following months until it reaches a point where it's not substantial enough to cause this sensation, same way as does the incisional scar in the skin. But be warned that this can take several months to dissipate completely and sometimes or every time, lots of walking or standing can make it worse. It differs greatly for every individual.
 
So, in other words, put up with it because it's going to be hanging around for awhile. And, while it isn't all that painful, it is somewhat uncomfortable. It's good to know that it's a necessary part of the healing process.
 
Mine felt like a piece of wood the first 2-3 weeks, that faded over time. Now at almost 12 weeks it only feels tight/full/wooden when I've been standing too much, mostly it feels like a knee now much of the time.
 
My PT has spent all week this week doing gentle massage -- mostly light but firm pressure (let me know if this is too deep) moving from bottom to top. Then she had me do heel slides and hold my thigh to chest, letting gravity pull the lower leg down. Two minutes. "Two minutes is elastic. Longer than that is plastic." It wasn't always comfortable, but it was the kind of mild discomfort I knew would give me positive results.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PolarBear60 , maybe that is what we will work on next week since I am a week behind you. I have PT scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday. He's had me doing heel slides and a few other exercises at home. I'm kind of glad when it's time to do my exercises or get up and walk a bit but am trying to make myself take it easy and not do more than I have been told to!

Roxie
 
Got to love a good knee massage
When you start stretching, massages in between really help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm sure whatever you work on will be what is appropriate for you, but we do seem to be experiencing a lot of similarities. I got a different therapist this week, too, so don't be surprised if that happens. Each time a different therapist showed up (calling before they come), I felt a little angst, but each time, I was thrilled with my results. Hope you are, too.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom