TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Celle - so pleased to here that you are back home and being the poster girl for the Bonesmart mantras!

Don't need to tell you what to do, but make sure you put yourself first, even though you have, or will have your family staying with you.

Lots of love and hugs winging their way across the miles to you.

XXX

I hope you are enjoying resting in your own bed, and following the BS mantra to your hearts content.

Best wishes for an excellent recovery x

Shortie x

Hello Caryl, @Celle

Happy to hear that you are back at home, hope that your comfortable and icing, resting and elevating.

Thinking of you,
Cathie

Glad you are home and doing well, wishing you an uneventful recovery. Take good care and we will see you here later.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014

Thank you, everyone who posted messages to me. It is really good to know that there is such a network of support out there!

Now, just because even BS staff need reminding, I am going to post myself the mantras and recommended reading list.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Now I'll be able to refer to them whenever I need to.

I'm going to try and document as much as I can about my experience. It will help me to remember and perhaps it will help someone else.

Day 1, Thursday, 18th September
  • I had tea and toast at midnight and a cup of tea (without milk) at 6 a.m, when I also took my regular morning medications.
  • We arrived at the hospital at 7 a.m. and I was admitted straight away. I weighed 1KG less than I expected - good!
  • The surgeon visited and drew an arrow on the correct leg.
  • The anaesthetist arrived and he put in an IV line, for the DDAVP infusion, which I had to have, to minimise the chances of me bleeding too much.
  • I was put into a theatre gown and cap.
  • An ECG was performed.
  • I had a pre-medication of some sedative tablets.
  • I was the second patient on the list, so I then had about half an hour's wait, during which time the DDAVP drip was given.
  • At 9:30, they took me to theatre, in my bed.
  • They helped me to wriggle on to the theatre table.
  • I watched on the monitor screen as the anesthetist positioned the needle for the femoral nerve block. The needle only hurt a little bit.
  • I had an injection into the IV drip and went to sleep - I had a general anaesthetic.
  • I woke up in Recovery at 11:55 a.m. I had no pain.
  • They returned me to the ward at about 2 p.m.
  • I had oxygen via nasal prongs - they weren't at all uncomfortable.
  • I had a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) machine. My pain was mild, but every time I pushed a button, the PCA machine gave me an IV shot of a small, measured dose of analgesia. There was a 5-minute lock-out set on it, so that I could not overdose.
  • I had a catheter for urinary drainage. The thought of that had bothered me, but it wasn't uncomfortable.
  • I drowsed for most of the day, although I was roused to be moved and washed.
  • I was able ro do a straight-leg raise of my left leg. Good. that showed I had no quadriceps lag, so the femoral nerve had not been damaged. I was also able to bend my knee to almost 90 degrees.
Day 2, Friday 19th September
  • The femoral nerve block wore off around 2 a.m. and I started to feel more pain. I was given oral pain relief, which worked.
  • I also found that my left leg became much more stiff, swollen and difficult to move.
  • The foot of my bed was elevated all the time and I had an ice machine.
  • I Had a leg squeezer on my right leg. That wasn't uncomfortable
  • Late in the morning , the physiotherapist (PT) came. She and a nurse sat me on the side of the bed and then helped me to stand, holding on to a walking frame.
  • The PCA was removed and oral pain medication was given.
  • Poop fairy visited.
  • I slept most of the day, but I did heel pumps, ankle rotations and a few gentle exercises when I was awake.
  • I had blood taken for analysis.

Day 3, Saturday 20th.
  • Blood results back - low serum sodium.
  • Urine output low.
  • I was retaining fluid and I swelled up like a balloon - apparently as an over-reaction to the DDAVP.
  • I was too swollen for the doctors to find a vein to take blood samples, so they had to stab into my femoral artery. That actually hurt less than the several unsuccessful attempts to find a vein. I felt like that painting of St Sebastien, pierced with arrows! :heehee:
  • Recommendations: 1. Restrict flui intake. 2. Increase salt in diet. 3. Retain catheter. 4. More blood tests tomorrow.
  • I felt rotten.
  • Needing larger doses of pain relief.
Day 4, Sunday 21st
  • Urine output increased greatly overnight. Diuresis continued during the day.
  • Swelling started to go down.
  • Blood sample taken - femoral stab again.
  • Needing less pain relief again.
  • Constipated - poop fairy needed help - small enema.
  • Exhausted - slept well.

Day 5, Monday, 22nd
  • Catheter removed at 6 a.m. - hooray! :happydance::yes!:
  • Had a shower.:yay:
  • Discharge medications charted and my in-hospital pain relief adjusted, so that I am on the same regime as I will be at home.
  • Appetite still poor, but the food tastes better.
  • I am walking well with my own crutches.

Day 6, Tuesday, 23rd

Discharged home YAAY! :happydance::yes!::dancy:

I was mobbed by my two cats - :catdance::kitty::meow::kittykiss:who both think that it is their duty to guard me.

Congratulations to anyone who has read thsi far.

More later - time for a sleep!

Congratulations Celle, i wasnt aware you were having your other knee replaced. Thats great news. I remember how strange the first couple of weeks felt, i called them the twilight zone stage. I have no doubt at all you will do great and will be dancing in no time. Best wishes , Iceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom