TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

Today has been quite a good day. I'm taking Josephine's recommended combination of Tramadol and Tylenol/Panadol and it's working for me.

I've spent most of the day in bed, elevating and icing. Although I haven't slept much I've been mostly comfortable. The cats are in seventh heaven!

I see the OS tomorrow, for a checkup and dressing change. I haven't seen the wound yet, as it has a strip of gauze over it.

I'll update tomorrow.

Celle.....you are doing fantastic!! And I love that you posted your own recovery articles....:rotfl:. Good for you.

But, you're right that even staff needs reminding of what may happen in recovery. We are all human and when it is our knee, the whole world is different.

Rest well, my friend, and take good care of yourself.

Good Morning Caryl @Celle

I think that documenting your progress is always very interesting, not only for you to look back on, but for those awaiting surgery & those that have had surgery.

It is now Wednesday, so the start of your second day at home.

Take care and continued healing in your recovery,
Cathie

I'm glad to hear you are back home and you sound like you are OK. Is there room enough in the bed for you and the cats?
I think I probably need to document my hospital,stay at sometime as a reminder/warning to myself .

Hello, everyone.
I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while. I didn't have the best couple of days.

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my OS. I had an X-Ray first,which showed everything is OK with the implant.
I had the knots in the stitching at the bottom and top of my incision snipped. The rest will dissolve.
I had two small sutures removed, from where the computer imaging machine was attached to my tibia. One of those holes kept on oozing. The wounds were re-dressed.

My OS was pleased that I can already lift my leg up onto the bed and also have the beginning of a straight-leg raise. However,he was concerned that my leg is still so swollen and bruised. He wants me to have an ultrasound scan, to check that I don't have a DVT. I also had to have another blood test, to check my sodium level.

I felt a bit down after that.

Today, I visited my GP's surgery, where his nurse re-dressed the leaking wound, successfully.
Then, I went for the scan. We borrowed one of the hospital wheelchairs and my wonderful husband (although he's not quite so popular right now) banged my foot against the elevator wall. I screamed!

The technician had to squeeze my leg in several places while she assessed the blood flow.
The good news is that I don't have a DVT! :yay:

However, I was sore and tired. I really wished I had never had this done.

Three hours' sleep this afternoon worked their magic and I feel a lot better. :yes!:
I can face the world again. Some of the swelling in my thigh has gone down and my leg bends a little bit more.

I guess this all goes to show that enough rest and sleep is really important.

I'll be back tomorrow.

That sounds like a very full day. I'm so glad you don't have a DVT. Now you can put that out of your mind and get some rest.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hello Caryl @Celle

Very happy to hear that you don't have a DVT. I have had several over the past few years and also a Pulmonary Embolism and on anti-coagulates since I was 25. Now on Xantlro indefinitely after my LTKR in July.

I know that feeling of wishing you've never had this done, but we have and now the recovery. Know that you are thought of with warm thoughts and good wishes for your recovery.

Take care,
Cathie

I understand exactly what you are saying. I also thought I was crazy the first week. It is so so hard. I am slowly improving and forgot how much patience you need!

Get lots of rest and visit when you can! Take care if you now!!

@Celle I am sorry your last couple of days have not been good. Glad there was no DTV. Hopefully the worst is behind you. Take care of yourself. Sending (((hugs))) and good wishes to you.

Hope today is kinder to you. Get lots of rest, ice, elevate, and medicate. Sometimes we forget in the middle of a bad nite or day.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014

@Celle Glad you didn't have a DVT but sorry you had such a long day! Also sorry you had your foot hit in the elevator! Ouch! Make today a day of rest and elevation.

Sorry to hear you had a rotten day, but pleased you don't have to worry about a DVT anymore.
I remember lying in bed in hospital on Day 3 wishing I'd never had it done as the oozing was so bad my leg had been re-bandaged tight and I couldn't walk.
The following day I was released and my OH banged my leg against the lift door too, I was yelling to be taken back to hospital by the time we got home.
Things can only get better!

Take care, Celle, rest up, the dark time will pass...

I'm glad you had it checked out and got the all clear on the dvt scare. You're so right that sleep helps your outlook. Sweet dreams. :sleep:

Thank you all for your messages. I do appreciate them.

I didn't realise so many people were looking out for me. It's great to have such support!

I was really worn out yesterday and I settled down for the night at 8 p.m., with pain medication on board, and leg elevated and iced. I slept until one in the morning, had a cup of tea and took more meds, refreshed the ice pack and slept again until 5, repeated the process and slept until 7.30.

That's the best sleep I've had for weeks. Today (predictably, I guess) I feel much better. I'm walking more easily with the crutches; the swelling in my thigh has gone down a bit; I managed to stand in the shower long enough to wash my hair; constipation was less of a problem; and I'm not so grouchy - for which Dear John is truly thankful :snork:.
Guess what? I also had another two hours' sleep this morning, after my shower.

I heard from my son and his family and they will be here with us in about a week's time. By then, I should be feeling stronger and more ready to cope with two pre-schoolers in the house. I'm in the spare room now, but I'll move back into our bedroom before they arrive. That will be my sanctuary.

There's only one job I have to do before then (apart from paying some bills) and that is to wrap birthday presents for Lucy, who will be three a week today. I've already bought the presents and I have balloons and candles. Dear John can buy a ready-made cake.

John is turning into quite a good cook - to his surprise. He cooked some lovely blue cod yesterday. Today, he's having a day off, and we will be having one of the meals I cooked before going into hospital.

That's all for now from a much-happier Celle. :flwrysmile:

Celle.....I'm so glad to hear you've been resting. As you know, that is one of the best things for both the physical you and the mental you. Keep that ice and medication going. That's the other greatest thing in the world.

Those presents you need to wrap??? Send out for gift bags and colored tissue!!! It's a life-saver and believe me, a 3-year-old will be just fine with it.

So glad to hear you're sleeping and feel more rested! Doesn't a nice shower make everything better (for a little while, anyway)? Enjoy your quiet rest before the kiddos arrive and well be checking in on you! :sleep:

Nothing like a good nights sleep for healing. Glad you are getting along in your recovery.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014

I like Jamie's idea about gift bags and tissue paper!!

Celle, I'm so very happy that you're able to rest! It took me over a month to be able to sleep for more than an hour. Good job! I hope your hubby's blue cod (almost) made up for banging your foot in the elevator. Poor thing (you more than him - heehee).

Take good care and rest up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member