• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

BTKR on October 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

conroesin

Country
United States United States
53 yr old getting bilateral TKR in 2 months. I have school age children at home and am anxious to get back to the activities we all love! Had planned surgery for last year, but had foot problem arise that required extensive ankle reconstruction surgery so was in recovery mode for 7 mths. Almost back up to the "new normal" for that right foot so ready to get the knees done. Very anxious to get all this surgery behind me. I used a different health site to help me through the foot surgery. This one looks great for the TKR.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on your surgery date. We're glad you found BoneSmart to help you through surgery and recovery. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. We'll be here to support you in whatever way we can.

Welcome to the forum family!! I am happy to read that you are getting a BTKR---if you are in need of having both done, and your surgeon will agree to it, I think that having a BTKR is the way to go. One pre-op, one surgery, one hospital stay, and only one recovery! No having one done, recovering, and then waiting to have the next one done!

I had a BTKR going on seven years ago, and, while I will be honest and tell you that recovery is a bit more challenging, as you don not have a "good leg"---it helped me reclaim the life that I desperately wanted---a life that was taken from me by arthritis.

Please come back and ask any question or pose any concern---we will be here for you and help you through the entire process.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you are anxious to get the surgery behind you. People thought I was crazy when I said I was looking forward to it. Certainly nobody looks forward to the actual surgery, but it's a wonderful thing to get it over with and get on with the business of living!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Welcome to Bonesmart, I will provide a few articles from our library that we suggest to new folks. They are all very short!

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bentleysmom
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom