TKR 9 weeks - so far so good!<

Thanks all! I am very thankful that all seems to be going pretty good so far. I'll definitely proceed with an abundance of caution. PT said he wants to be "greedy" with my ROM and get me to 130 in a month. The bridge is supposed to get my glutes stronger and stretch my quads. I don't think I'll do the wall slides though. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks all! I am very thankful that all seems to be going pretty good so far. I'll definitely proceed with an abundance of caution. PT said he wants to be "greedy" with my ROM and get me to 130 in a month. The bridge is supposed to get my glutes stronger and stretch my quads. I don't think I'll do the wall slides though. Stay tuned!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the exercises--for later in your recovery. As you said, be cautious and let your body be your guide. Often we don't notice the bad effects until hours later. I learned that just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you *should.*

You can always just say "I'm not quite ready for those" if they give you pain. The PT can want what he/she wants re: 130, but it's your body and so you can judge how much is too much.

I think it's most unwise to be doing the bridge so early in your recovery. Please don't do it. There are other, less harmful exercises that will strengthen those muscles. In any case, strengthening exercises should wait until you are at least 3 months out from your surgery.

I was going to make a comment or two but you've had such a chorus of "don't do it" I think I'll pass! You know what I would say anyway!

I am just very sad that he treated your excellent progress "with disdain" which was very uncalled for.

One thing I wanted to run by everyone was a comment that the PT said to me before I left. He said I need to push on my knee a few times every couple hours. He likened it to muscle memory. Because if I didn't do that I won't get to the 125-130 flex. It would revert back to the "default" spot of where I am currently - 120. Thoughts?

He said I need to push on my knee a few times every couple hours. He likened it to muscle memory. Because if I didn't do that I won't get to the 125-130 flex.
Absolute balderdash! Many here have totally disproved the myth of this or moreover, the contradiction. If you do push on your knee, all you do is cause swelling which will block the ROM. It's a contradiction in terms.

I think I told you before: I did not exercises for either knee and got excellent results in both - 135-0.

You're currently only 8 weeks out. You're doing very well right now and if left to it's own devices, your knee will get there all on it's own in a few more weeks.

Did you recall this I told you previously? It's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Pushing on your knee so it won't get stuck is totally baloney. I have never heard of anyone doing this.

Josephine, yep. I definitely remember. I actually wanted to call BS (pun intended) when he told me that! I'm going to continue with my current plan of daily living with a sprinkle of exercises to keep my recovery going in the right direction. Thanks again Josephine!

sistersinhim, it didn't make sense when he said it. I don't think I'm going back. I see the OS again on Feb 1st and he said he would release me if all looks as good as he thinks it will. Stay tuned!

Good decision! You've done so well so far, I'd hate to see you going backward with this PT. I don't see why the OS wouldn't release you with a ROM of 120.

Well done that man! That's what I call being assertive!

I think I need to learn from your progress. You are doing amazingly well. I am going to the PT, but have told her that she is not to push on or bend my knee. The massage she does is helpful and I am one of those people who might not move enough without the PT, so I go, but I take it easy.

The thing that most impresses me is how early you were driving. I'm 4 weeks tomorrow and can't imagine driving yet. I might be able to if I had to in an emergency.....maybe, but sure wouldn't want to drive.

Anyway, mostly I just wanted to thank you for sharing your journey. I had my RTKR exactly one month after yours and its wonderful to see how well you are doing. Gives me hope.

Hey OUCH...I'm glad to hear my journey so far has been helpful to you. It still amazes me that PTs have been taught to follow this contradictory method for recovery for TKRs. I'm glad I found this site 1 week after surgery and have been following the mantras, mainly the no PT plan. Just daily living and walking the dog twice a day, as well as icing and practicing what I call getting in the luge position on the couch. Good luck and be careful with your PT sessions. Take it easy or away and just walk around house a few times a day.

:rotfl: "Luge position on the couch!" :rotfl:
9 weeks - so far so good!<

Love it!!!!

I do want to add that I still feel skin numbness toward bottom of knee and a bit of the rubberband feeling, mainly at night after an active day. I guess those sensations will gradually disappear as weeks not days go by.

My knee does click, at times kinda loud. It doesn't hurt so I choose to mainly ignore it. I've heard people refer to clunking, but don't know what that refers to or how that feels. I'm hoping my goes away and knee glides smoothly eventually.

I do want to add that I still feel skin numbness toward bottom of knee and a bit of the rubberband feeling, mainly at night after an active day. I guess those sensations will gradually disappear as weeks not days go by.
The numb area may, or may not go away. This article explains it:
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
My knee does click, at times kinda loud. It doesn't hurt so I choose to mainly ignore it. I've heard people refer to clunking, but don't know what that refers to or how that feels. I'm hoping my goes away and knee glides smoothly eventually.
Some people hear clicking and some hear clunking. It's caused by the same thing - hard metal and plastic parts moving over one another, instead of the relatively softer bone and cartilage that you used to have. As long as it doesn't hurt, it's nothing to worry about.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Some people find that the noise decreases or goes away as their muscles strengthen and their knee heals.

I have one knee, 2 years old, that has never made those noises. but my 5-year-old knee still does. There's no logic to that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks