TKR 9 weeks - so far so good!<

In addition to what Paula said, I have an additional theory. I believe that some surgeons are afraid that their patients will do nothing at all and not move due to the pain. They think PT will cause that kind of patient to move around more so they just prescribe it for everyone, not knowing which patient might just lie around and do nothing.

I don't think it's all about the money. I think the PTs genuinely believe what they say about needing to exercise. It's because they were taught that way and they haven't learned that the new way works better. The new way is taught in many refresher courses.

Now I know Im only 5 weeks out today, but sometimes it feels like I'm walking on a stilt on my operated knee. Feels like an installed part if you will. Not all the time. Other times it does feel like MY knee thats healing from an injury. Normal?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Now I know Im only 5 weeks out today, but sometimes it feels like I'm walking on a stilt on my operated knee. Feels like an installed part if you will. Not all the time. Other times it does feel like MY knee thats healing from an injury. Normal?

It was for me. The walking on stilts feeling left me completely around week 6, but I still sometimes get the "not part of my body" feeling.

You're not alone in that feeling. Now, I can say, that almost all the time the knee is 'mine'!

Just another confirmation that the BS way works . I went against the advice of PT and my family Dr. My surgeon did not give any advice on rehab, as I think he and others, leave it to the hospital PT staff.
I had my TKR on Sep27. I did no PT but was active from the start. I have been back at the gym for weeks and now at 250lbs leg press, light leg extensions and ham curls. Most of the time I don't even think of the knee although now and again I pop a Tylenol.
It only makes sense to take it easy early on when your knee is recovering. Just look at a TKR op on youtube and you will feel "sorry" for your knee.
So take it easy still and in a few weeks you will be doing great!

Wow! I'm just looking to get back to hitting a driver 250 yards! Appreciate the No Pain More Gain validation!

I'll hold off on Tylenol unless I feel discomfort/pain.
At 5 weeks, you should still be on a fairly regular regimen of pain meds. So I recommend Tylenol 3-4 times a day. Prophylaxis is the word! There is a lot of pain we can get which is low grade meaning it's grumbling along in the background. This can cause problems without us even being aware of it. The evidence of this is swelling, stiffness or generally being uncomfortable. Don't ignore those.
k, last time, you sure I should stop going to PT? :) No pain, more gain!
Absolutely! Remember, many of us did no exercising whatsoever - not even so much as a single heel slide and got rattling good outcomes!
Anyone see any issues that I cover my incision with gauze
For what reason, may I ask? I've worked with surgeons who did major surgery like heart transplants and similar and never ever put dressings on their wounds, not even so much as a spray of plastic skin! Their reasoning was that "God's good air" was better for wound healing and in 99.9% of cases, it was! Mind, I wouldn't recommend that for a new TKR or THR wound but at 8 weeks, it will do it good to be exposed to air!
but advise improperly on PT?!
They do it because it was the norm between 1970 and the present. At that time, they too agonised over the horrors of adhesions, which were a lot more common in those days for various reasons - the surgery took longer - 3-4 hours sometimes - they made huge incisions (14-18" long!) and were very rough with the tissues during the surgery all of which contributed to the development of adhesions - and almost every other patient had to have an MUA in those days.

So now the teaching is to make smaller incisions, be gentle with the tissues, be more stringent with haemostasis (stopping bleeding) and washing the wound with cooling, cleansing saline with a kind of power wash and as a result we don't get adhesions and wounds heal more quickly. But they still cling to the old notions.

I recently engaged a professor friend of mine (young and a knee surgeon) in an email discussion about this and he recoiled in horror when I told him I was advocating no exercises. He said 'but this is what we've been taught for donkey's years' and I pointed out that that was the point - 'donkey's years'! Things have changed a lot and (this was the seminal comment that changed his mind) "we have to stop brutalizing these patients in the mistaken notion that it's necessary to get good ROM". So now he's looking into getting funding to do a research project on it! I am so delighted!
I believe that some surgeons are afraid that their patients will do nothing at all and not move due to the pain.
Exactly so, Granny!
I don't think it's all about the money.
Also very true - which is why we don't tend to do it that much in the UK!

Again, very much appreciate your time to address these questions and comments. I'll follow your advise to continue taking pain meds. I still have a few days of Norco left over so will use that then Tylenol. I definitely want to continue moving forward with my recovery. Including no knee focused PT!

And I guess cover it up for protection while I'm out and about during the day. I'll be sure I uncover while at home.

You are doing well. You don't need to cover your incision for any type of protection unless you have any open areas are present. Keep up the good 'work' of avoiding PT.

Hi folks. Was wondering if there were any articles or another site that our support group, whether its our wife, husband, partner, family member, friend can go to so they can understand better the journey that we are on and also give them the encouragement to get thru it as well. We have this great site, articles, and fellow TKR and BTKR-ers that we can lean on. I figured they can look to a resource for support also. I'm sure it gets tough on them at times.

Hi there. What is wrong with sending them to this site? I have looked at other sites and this is the best one. Have them read recovery threads of people who have had TKRs and the articles are extremely informative.

Oh yes, I agree with @FlaGranny. This is the best site for the understanding what we are going through. I think you are looking for something like Al-Anon. I know of no site that caters just to caregivers of a tkr loved one. If they read many threads on here, they'll get an idea what just about everyone goes through. This is by far the best place for that.

Mine feel hard too, but it is because I can actually feel them and see them now. I have had swollen knees for so long that I forgot I had kneecaps.

I see my knee caps now for the first time in years. Looks funny! I became accustomed to the swollen fleshy puffy look of the agitated old knees!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Trust it. Don't go to PT! Rest ice and elevate properly! My L leg done 11/1 is 126/0. My R leg done 11/29 106/1. Following the BoneSmart mantra. I have home PT but all I let her do is massage and coach me on my walking technique. I waddled for so many years I need to relearn how to walk!
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161217_145bc704b497bbed54da64ab7c94d650.jpg

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Yep, been there, done that! Still do many days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks