Revision TKR 3 years out - Injury?worked

HookEm613

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to check in. Surgery was at 1 today and I am doing great, other than throwing up as a result of the anesthesia. I got up and walked, with the help of the walker, to the restroom. It is hard to explain, but my knee felt stronger and more sturdy. My knee had began to buckle inward a bit (not sure how else to describe it), so I definitely felt like my leg was straight again.

Ok, hope you are all well. I am going to get some rest. Woo hoop, day 1 over and recovery is in sight! [emoji106] I know the real pain will start in a few days when I am at home, but I keep telling myself that the pain I am about to feel is healing, and not deterioration.

Alright, good night everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I'm glad your surgery went well. Keep on top of those pain meds. Remind the nurses if you need to. Wishing you the best on your recovery.

Good luck to you

rtkr 05/16/16

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the kind words.

Hi @HookEm613
Welcome to the recovery side.
I'm glad things are going well.

I hope that the vomiting settles down soon.

As long as you keep taking your pain medications on a regular schedule and don't tr to do too much, too soon, your pain should not increase much when you get home. You should always be able to keep it down to a level that you are comfortable with.

I have some reading for you now - the recovery reading list.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:

With your positive attitude, you should do fine! Be sure to keep crackers or something to nibble on before taking your pain medicine. And you are correct, the pain we're having now will go away, unlike the before pain. It just got worse and worse! Have a good sleep!

Goodness, I got no sleep, at all lol. My mind is racing with excitement and nervousness for the days ahead. I know at some point today, I am going to completely crash in to a deep sleep (or at least I hope).

I didn't get much sleep neither....I hope your recovery is going well!!!

Hello and glad it's going well. I had nausea and vomiting the first day too. Actually it subsided when they changed me to Dilaudid from oxycodone. I know what you mean about knee feeling stronger. Someone maybe a PT told me that the new knee is ready to take it on day 1, nor a bone that needs time to heal. I found that image very helpful. Good luck and keep in touch with us! :)

Welcome to BoneSmart, I hope you are able to sleep soon---I found that as soon as I swallowed a Percoset---I was off to dreamland!!

Congrats on your new knee. You're off to a good start so no stay on top of the pain meds and give your knee some time to heal. It will make your recovery quicker.

I know exactly what you mean about your new knee feeling stronger and sturdier. It is hard to explain, but once you've had that feeling, it's awe-inspiring.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Update on day 2:

Today was rough, I couldn't stay awake and every time I fell asleep, someone popped in. I know that's their job, but I really struggled. Pain wise, I was great at first. I was on IV pain meds and a pain ball. We realized it was the IV pain meds that were making me so sick, so they discontinued those and switched my to two Tylenol 3. I don't know what that is made of, but I am assuming Tylenol and hydrocodeine. Anyhow, my pain is pretty bad now, and when I asked if I could have more medicine, the nurse said that I needed to wait until the next time I was due for meds. It was one o'clock when I asked, and I wasn't due for medicine until 2, so that was horrible painful. It still hurts now, after taking the pain meds. Other than the pain, the staff has been great. I went on two walks today, and the first one was great but the second was right before I was given the pain meds. Needless to say, it was overly painful. Alright, so I am about to head home, so hopefully I can get a good nights sleep tonight. I'll check in tomorrow! Thank for the warm wishes and happy thoughts! Hope y'all are doing well too!!

Make sure you have your pain meds with you or at least the prescription for them. I pray that you have a very peaceful night's sleep. There's no place like home!

The doctor has decided to keep me one more night, to try and get the pain under better control. I can appreciate that, as much as I wanted to go home. I was a bit worried!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
horselvr
Recent bookmarks
Back