Revision TKR 3 years out - Injury?worked

I think you have struck it lucky with your therapist. :yes!::yay:
A therapist with such a sensible approach is a rare and precious thing. Although I advised against PT, I rescind that advice. I think this therapist is a "keeper".

Your therapist sounds fantastic, love his whole approach! Congrats on such a great experience

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I agree with Celle-you seem to have found a good PT. However, I still think it's too soon to be going to outpatient PT and you should be staying home and letting your body heal, then go to PT in a couple of weeks or so. Rest, elevate and :ice::ice::ice:!!!

I'm glad you found a very up to date PT. I still think it's a bit early for outpatient too. You're actually breaking one of his instructions on walking too much just by going there.

@HookEm613 Wow, you are so lucky to find a therapist that has a more gentle approach. I had 3 different therapists and they all were very aggressive! Which is why at almost 6 months postop I am still trying to get the swelling and tightness to go away so I can get better ROM. Didn't find bonesmart until later and just thought I was doing all the right things...working so hard with doing exercises at home twice a day, going to PT twice a week with them brutalizing my knee and now I am paying for it. Hope the rest of your recovery goes well...be kind to yourself.

Yes, he said that his thought on PT was definitely new, but he had worked on enough TKRs to see the effects of too much PT. he was very clear on his beliefs towards it, so I definitely think he's a keeper.

On another note, I had to take the compression sick off, it became so tight that it was painful. I know I need to wear them because of blood clots, but I can't do it right now. My mom is going to look and see if they have a bigger size. Or one with a little more stretch. Anyone had this issue?

I had the same thing happen with the compression hose from the hospital and called my surgeon and they recommended the comfort store, it's down on Burnett road. They measure your leg and give you a size that actually fits your leg. It's still tight but it's the appropriate tightness. Just a note they are a little pricey but worth it. My doctor wanted these worn for 6 weeks on the surgical leg and 2 on the good leg.

I remember after my TKR, wearing them in the hospital; I don't remember having to wear them at home. But I did give myself shots every day for a little while. I think, if given the choice, even though I hate shots, let alone giving them to myself, I prefer the shots as they are once a day, a quick little shot and done. Those stockings are no fun and you have to wear them 24/7? ugh...... I'm so glad this time around my OS just had me taking aspirin for a while.

Yes, he said that his thought on PT was definitely new, but he had worked on enough TKRs to see the effects of too much PT. he was very clear on his beliefs towards it, so I definitely think he's a keeper.
I agree that he's a keeper.

His ideas are not so much new, as different from what seems to be the majority in the US.
I have had two different surgeons for my knee replacement and they both have the same ideas as your therapist. Even back in 2000, when I had my first knee replacement, my surgeon was recommending this gentle approach to recovery. Actually, he said no PT at all for the first month and then only one session every two weeks. I did well on that regime.

I have a friend who is a PT in the US and she tells me that, where she lives, they are teaching the gentle approach to PTs who go on refresher courses.

Oh, I will have to try that! My dad just cut these stockings to give me a little more room, and that has helped...although it probably defeated the purpose haha.

Today I am off to Walmart and Baskin Robbins to start getting ready for Fathers Day. My mom is driving and I'm going to ride on the buggy. Pray that I don't end up on the "people of Walmart" websites lol!!!!

My poor boyfriend, I told him that he has a choice. He either has to cook his own Father's Day meal, or he has to go pick up a to-go meal. We usually do lobster and other sea food but I'm just not up to standing that long yet. Looks like we will be doing to-go, which is ok. I'll make him a meal in a few weeks. [emoji1]

You really are doing too much way too soon. You need to be resting and icing this soon after surgery. Let someone else do the shopping and meal fixing for at least the first week that you are home. I also had to give myself injections twice a day for 2 weeks of Lovenox which was a pain but my surgeon is extra cautious.

Today I am off to Walmart and Baskin Robbins to start getting ready for Fathers Day.
It's too soon to be going out to the shops, even if someone drives you there and you use the buggy.
Perhaps you need to read this article again-
Activity progression for TKRs

I know you're younger than most of us here, but that doesn't mean that your knee will recover any faster. Difficult as it is, you job right now is to spend most of your time doing this:
rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

My dad just cut these stockings to give me a little more room, and that has helped...although it probably defeated the purpose haha.
This is not a good idea. If the stockings are too tight or anything, then don't wear them at all. There is plenty of evidence they're not that effective anyway. TEDs Negative Research: Lancet 27th May 2009 I never wore them at all as they never had them big enough for my leg!
Today I am off to Walmart and Baskin Robbins to start getting ready for Fathers Day
I echo Celle. You're not even one week out yet. THIS IS A BIG NO-NO! Go back and read your recovery articles again - especially this one Activity progression for TKRs

HookEm,
I am a tuesday (Jun 14) knee change,
My PT (home) said that I can get out a bit, going to the lake today, 1 hour away, for fathers day...no drinks!
I am not in much pain after doing my PT sets of isometrics and need to really get my quad working better.
That Ted article (above) was undertaken on stroke patients and still recommends that recent surgery people wear their Teds, I think it's more for adema control than stroke prevention anyhow. Strokes are prevented by getting up and moving like HookEms doing, and by PT heel pumps.

YED stockings were always prescribed for people who would not be as mobile as is normal. That is why they started using them on post op patients. As long as you are taking something for a blood thinner( aspirin, lovenox, warfarin, etc.), doing ankle pumps and doing a little walking every hour or two then they are no longer needed and can be dangerous if they bunch up or are too tight as then they could actually cause a DVT.

@HookEm613 wow, I can't believe you are up to going out, my tkr was June 13th and I can't even imagine going out yet...be careful that you don't over do it and end up regressing!

Strokes are prevented by getting up and moving like HookEms doing, and by PT heel pumps.
I think you meant that DVTs are prevented,didn't you? That's why TKR patients are mobilised early, and why we do ankle pumps. Walking around the house helps, too.
That Ted article (above) was undertaken on stroke patients and still recommends that recent surgery people wear their Teds,
Since wearing TEDS doesn't have any beneficial effect on stroke patients, who are often much less mobile than patients after recent surgery, I'm not sure why post-surgical patients would need them.
I took that recommendation more as a "cover-my back" statement, as the authors of the article had not studied the effects of wearing or not wearing TEDs for surgical patients.

My own surgeon does not recommend the wearing of TEDs. He thinks they have no effect.

I am being extra careful to listen to my body, and my PT gave me a long lecture about not overdoing it because of my age. I really just wanted to get out of the house. It felt good, I won't lie. The car ride, on the other hand, was horrible. Other than getting up to use the restroom or getting a drink, I haven't been moving much.

On another note, I'm going to try and go to Tylenol-4, 1 pill every 4 hours, instead of 2 every 6. If that doesn't help with feeling sick, or I still need stronger pills, then I am going to call the doctor tomorrow.

You have a very good PT from what you have described.....heed his advice and don't overdo.....easier said than done I know but trying too much too soon can actually slow down your recovery; I know about overdoing...since I was stubborn during parts of my recovery......(FYI...lived in north Austin area near Round Rock in mid 80's-how much that area between Austin and Round Rock has grown in that time; was down for business a couple years prior to my TKRs and participated in a charity run in Georgetown....you live in a great part of Texas...Roll Tide).

Take care and have patience during your recovery-it will pay dividends.

Best of luck to you...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
2_bum_hips
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom