Hemi-Arthroplasty Zauberflote's Mom, Dementia & Hip Replacement

Dropping by to say Hi.
I'm hoping your mom is doing a bit better today and also hoping you got some sleep last night.
Keeping you all in thought and prayer.
@zauberflöte

Thank you @Layla ! Yes and no. We asked for a less sedating pain med; got one dose of IVTylenol. Definitely more awake and alert. There are only two more dose of it in the whole gigantic hospital so no more for her. Liquid by mouth. I didn't believe she could do it but she managed.
We asked Foley out. Got it, with a PureWick instead. Amazing little device! She has a deep teaching from her babyhood that good girls don't wet the bed. So every time she has to pee (and evidently she'd been holding it for a lonnnng time), we go through the reassuring that it is the right thing to do in this case. Every two minutes if necessary; her working memory is about2-3 seconds it seems.

Then she had to poop! She threw off the covers and appeared ready to get out of bed. (As if... but a good sign that she's not so medicated now!). So half an hour later, while the IV tylenol issue is still outstanding, the bedpan and two nurses arrive. Long story short, and to paraphrase, "nope, can't do it, it went away". So we had some laughs about it running away.

Then, the oral tylenol liquid arrives. A great deal of it. She persevered, mostly because she kept forgetting it was nasty. But she did ask (translating here) why does it have to taste so awful!!? Another laugh. And let us hope it works. I am in awe that a 91 year old with a new ball, posterior, seems to need so little medication!

We'd asked for one other thing but I forget what it was. We got it too.

I spent some time on the phone with a home health agency and with an agency which provides caregivers.

Mom probably is developing "hospital delirium".

This is turning more dementia than hip. Hip apparently fine. Patient has yet to bear weight but did get out of bed with 3 people assisting and bearing weight of her. Try again tomorrow. Monday discharge if hospitalist is to be believed, but the therapy team won't release her until she's a one-person transfer to chair or commode. I'd rather use therapy team's ok than a doctor saying she's fine to go. It's a tightrope over the lava in Mount Doom.

Oh @zauberflöte hugs, prayers and best wishes for your mom.. and your family! We went through this with my MIL. You described it very well, it becomes more about the dementia than the hip.
We tried very hard to make sure she saw the sunshine during the day and kept the lights as low as possible in the evening to help her circadian rhythm..
Take care of yourself.. :prayer:

@CricketHip thank you so very much! It's lonely in this terra incognito....

We keep the shade up all the time, but her room is in a "well", with walls on at least 3 sides, and only halfway up. The lighting choices could be worse, so we can keep most of the main overheads off. I've been with her in hospitals where the first thing the nurse does is snap the overheads on when s/he enters. These nurses seem to be able to work in lower light levels!

Poor mom is currently freezing. I put the hospital blanket on her, she rested. Woke up again So Cold. I have kept a heavy polarfleece in here, and I put that on, also attempted to crank heat up above 76. This is one of those very fancy heating controls that will do what it's been programmed to do regardless of what you ask it. You know, like, hospital patients can't think for themselves. So she's bundled up under a dull, sleepy blue fleece and I hope she's warmer soon!

It sounds like things are a bit better than yesterday. Definitely some positives. Wondering if they have one of those warming blankets the type they pipe heated air into. Or are those only reserved for immediately after surgery? The poor dear, nothing worse than shivering without any relief.

I hope you're able to take care of yourself and sneak in some sleep.
Prayers for all continue.
@zauberflöte

@Layla might you be thinking of the bear hug op gown? I had that for my second hip and it's very nice in the icy OR. But they are just paper gowns. Then they keep blankets in a warming oven sometimes too. Not up here though. It was her feet that were cold. I put an extra layer between the ice and her skin, and she may be warming up. It appears right now that moving around is what she needs. She's all propped up in a position that's pretty restrictive, and the op leg WILL turn in no matter what. But she's not saying the hip hurts. I'm massaging her non-op leg (which hurts!) while I type here.

No, it's a blanket. I believe 3M makes them.
A device takes in air at room temperature and blows it out warm. I'm guessing if they have them they'd suggest it as an option. Unless they're unaware she's cold. You're the best thing for her right now, devoted daughter that you are. Hang in there.
Hugs
@zauberflöte

Mom probably is developing "hospital delirium".
Yes, this is the tough part. Elderly patients - even those who do not have dementia often get delirium. Sounds like you are handling it well.

Is she eating OK? Keeping her blood sugar level might help manage the cold feeling. Toast and a nice cup of tea?

Hope she can move around today. You are in my thoughts!

@Layla and @Jaycey a blanket! Never heard of. Remember how cold the ice makes you? Her sheet was frozen! She warmed up after the heat got going and I rubbed this or that part of her. Relaxed, slept sweetly for a long time. No they won't know she's cold unless I tell them. Stretched thin nurses. And we've had no continuity. The are all stellar, though, which makes it easier.

As to eating-- she has had some sherbet, spoons of broth, tasted the puréed food and it was awful. I'm making a list of real foods. Banana, bread&milk, pumpkin pie, real yogurt. These are favored foods and mushy. She desperately needs food. Dietician left us some Boost pudding. Y. U. K!!!!

Here is a question!!! Should we even bother with followup xrays? What would we do with any info we got? Definitely not making any revisions! @Josephine ? Thanks!

They will probably want a follow up x-ray for a baseline post op. Does it stress her to have an x-ray? Would be great if she could walk to the x-ray area!

Been away from forum a bit as bit of a scare with 23 year old daughter with severe abdominal pain landed me in ER for the night on Thursday...
CT scan showed gastroenteritis but I was thinking possibly appendicitis so Whew! But the only thing worse than being in the hospital is being in the hospital with someone in the hospital.
I am Not a good sit-arounder.:sigh:

Just lots of hugsxxxx...and prayers that Mom keeps improving.:praying:

@Mojo333 oh yikes I hope all goes well! Kids in hospital even worse than parents. Keep us posted.

@Jaycey well sure it would be nice. But the PT goal is "one person transfer" and while report is that PT went better today, there was no moving to chair. Anyway they don't let you walk.... If Mom is really to leave Monday (or be thrown out) she'd better tighten her skate straps and hang the key round her neck! (I remember the shoelace for my skate key was a green plaid!)

Baby baby baby steps. Her nurse last night thought Mom doing VERY well for her circumstances. Nice!

Hip report: very little pain apparently. Non op leg hurts worse when things hurt. I remember that! Mom (officially on puréed diet, which is truly nasty) ate half a banana for snack. Later, supper was half a crispy crunchy grilled cheese sandwich, some fries of the new type which have very little potato and lots of junk that stays crisp even when cold, and a little pot of applesauce, with 4 pills in it at different times. So if we find "real food" for breakfast, she will eat it. Puréed scrambled eggs doesn't bear thinking about.

I wasn't here for physician rounds, but Mom has some junk in her lungs, which I speculate could be aspirated vomit from her first night here with morphine but no anti-nausea med, or common/garden food or drink. Anyway, it got so bad she couldn't breathe, and the dr had the suction thing all set up when it cleared out. So....stuff in lungs bad news. We shall see.

Dementia report @Jaycey I now know what "sundowning" is, and we have us a bad case that is going to wear her out and slow down healing if we don't get it under control. She has a rx for lorazepam PRN at home; will try to see if it transferred with her. Not sure I can stand bedside petting hand for the rest of the night.... my back would give out!

I'm so sorry to hear about the sundowning. It's so difficult for someone her age. I hope she calms down soon and you can relax, too. hugs..

This is all so sad. My heart goes out to your family.
Praying for your mom's comfort and a peaceful night for you all.
@zauberflöte

Thank you ladies! A little peace after she voided her bladder, admitted to being cold, and got two blankets. Her cough wakes her so we'll see how that goes.

Prayers for an easier night for you both. Thats a real shame about the lung congestion. I'm so glad to hear that shell calmed down. The soothing power of a warm blanket! :sleeep:

I now know what "sundowning" is
So sorry you are going through this! Being in a "strange" place probably isn't helping your Mom. Any progress on transferring to a chair? Lying in bed for hours on end must be driving her crazy. Nothing to distract her.

Wondering if they have one of those warming blankets the type they pipe heated air into. Or are those only reserved for immediately after surgery?
I think you all mean a Bairhugga. They are phenomenally expensive and only suitable for hospitals

bair-hugger-device.jpg

As an efficient alternative, you could get in some space blankets which are made of aluminium foil. Also known as survival blankets, the kind of thing they hand out to runners at the end of marathons. I suffer from chills if/when I have a hypo and they are very helpful. And they're cheap as chips!

space blanket.JPG

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom