BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[HEMI-ARTHROPLASTY] Zauberflote's Mom, Dementia & Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by zauberflöte, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Yes @Josephine and I'd be remiss in not mentioning what I've read since I suggested it to Zauberfloate, or questioned whether the hospital her mom is in uses them.

Not sure if you've read, but the maker, 3M was battling lawsuits from orthopedic surgery patients who maintained the company's popular "Bair Hugger" warming blankets used to keep people warm, circulated contaminants and caused debilitating deep joint infections. However, just three days ago 3M declared a legal victory after a federal judge dismissed lawsuits from more than 5000 plaintiffs who said 3M's Bair Hugger warming device caused their post surgical infections. The article can readily be accessed online. Interesting! After reading that, just to be on the safe side, I think I'd go for the cheaper space blanket...given the option.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes I did see that. What a load of nonsense!

3. zauberflöte

zauberflöte alpha

Thank you Jo!!! I had no idea that kind of contraption existed! I actually had a paper gown with a pump hose attached, pumping warm air. This was given me in prep, and kept me warm while I was waiting to roll on in. I don't know what happened after that!
    And..... my PolarFleece (tm) worked two nights in a row!

Poor Mom is trying for a visit from the poop fairy while a nurse makes her bed, bro absents himself:bolt: and I run water in the sink. I'm sure the incision hurts too-- no pain med of any kind for over 24 hours! I will have to make sure she starts getting tylenol every however often the liquid is. She hasn't walked yet, but got up to the walker bearing 90% of her weight herself this morning, and just made it to the commode but I wasn't staring, so don't know if two people or one made the transfer. Looks like 2 here. I hope there's something in the pot. Poor thing. They are fairly rough with her in bed, throwing her around, task oriented, not knowing that she's unmedicated!!!! Poor heart....

Asleep now like a little baby...:sleeep:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@zauberflöte sending healing thoughts for your Mom, this has to be so hard on her. And sending prayers that you are able to get some much needed rest and sleep wherever you can.
    :angel::sleep:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Checking in on you and Mom. Gosh - so many hurdles to jump! If Mom is not eating how do they expect poop results? Just saying.

It's good news if she is sleeping. Much needed - and I am sure you could use some sleep as well. Please take care of yourself too @zauberflöte !

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I have tears in my eyes, reading your last update. My memories are so fresh of all you mentioned. Even at the end when my mom was completely shattered, with so much pain, they would roll and turn her so abruptly. She is so lucky to have you and your family members as advocates.. it's so important.
    Her standing with the walker sounds promising though. good for her!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. zauberflöte

zauberflöte alpha

Thank you all! Thank you @Elf1 for your prayers, they are much appreciated! Your avatar-- is it a little elf you're holding?

@Jaycey well yes, I agree with you, but she had eaten normally until she fell, so there is a backlog... the nurse made it clear that the poop fairy had blessed us with its presents and yes I spelled what I meant :heehee:

@CricketHip I am so sorry for the loss that makes you cry!:console2: Mom had to come off hospice to do this. This was not anything we'd ever imagined! She has handily survived so many falls!! Even likely concussed herself once on black ice on a dark winter early morning, in her late 70's or even early 80's, with apparently no effects. My mind is racing trying to figure out how she can go home on home health, and also bring hospice back in, which our hospice nurse told us would be unlikely. I am nervous she has either/both a UTI or bronchitis/pneumonia, and they send her home one day and she's back the next. Here we have again exactly the situation of 2 summers ago, where she was discharged by the weekend hospitalist effective Monday, but was not accepted back to her assisted living! So we went to my hotel and everything got really stressful all around! Got her into another hospital which she had to stay 3 days for Medicare eligibility to be discharged to rehab. 8 weeks of rehab did less than the subsequent 8 weeks (turned into 2 years!) of 3x weekly personal trainer.

So I really want both hospice and the appropriate short-term "comfort care", as in home health to help her recover safely. And of course, OF COURSE, this all goes down on a weekend, so I can't arrange things, and we will have people in and out the room going on at her or calling her "she" and I'm thinking I'd better take a chill pill here....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Have you talked with the hospital's social worker to help get a plan going? Finding out if she has lung or urinary problems ought to be fairly easy to determine with xrays and tests. You can ask the doctor for that. You may have to stomp your feet a bit, but don't let them discharge her until YOU are ready. Medicare has a form you can fill out that says you contest the discharge if they try to push it. Don't feel guilty about using the form. Also, you can as to talk with the hospitals patient advocate. Usually they can help where others can't.

Get as much rest as you can. You need all your energy and tools at hand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jaycey

I agree with Jamie. Everything must be in place before your Mom is discharged. And you should not be rushed to put something in place. Ask for help and be pushy if you must. This is about making it safe for Mom and manageable for you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. zauberflöte

zauberflöte alpha

Discharge. I'm tired. Will post later. Thank you @Jamie and @Jaycey , I'll read later. MUST take a longer walk for legs now.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Oh my.....it's late. I bet you are pooped out completely. Hope you can get some rest tonight and that things are okay.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Layla

Sorry, I'm sure you're exhausted. I hope you and mom both get some restorative rest tonight.
    Fill us in when you're feeling more refreshed.
    Hugs
    @zauberflöte

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Jaycey

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I do hope you are resting, dear friend.:praying:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. zauberflöte

zauberflöte alpha

Thanks all! I did get enough and good sleep last night-- thank you for watching over me :yes:

Today update: as expected both with recovery and dementia, up and down, but good reports from in-room caregivers, and bro and I saw some good times.

Hospice RN case mgr came, and we bashed out a pain meds schedule by the clock but not to wake Mom-- I can't stand that yet! So, MD will order and I hope that ibuprofen, tylenol, and tramadol will get her through the day, and added morphine+lorazepam for night. That's sublingual, so no big hoo-haw over administration.

Since she's on hospice, which precludes PT through Medicare, and since the hospital PT said that some muscle (bro was in room, not me, and he didn't catch all the facts) is tightening and freezing up, and if she doesn't have PT she will not walk, I located, through contacts, a mobile cash-only PT who has agreed to take her on! Meeting with him tomorrow morning.

Bro got her up once, not weight bearing on op leg bc she won't, and it's bent anyway so doesn't reach the floor... this must be the frozen thing. Later they did bed exercises, mostly wiggling toes.

From Amazon I received today the coolest cushion combo imaginable. I'm hoping it's more comfortable, and that when she's more upright Mom will feel more alive and engaged and motivated.
    CD160525-CC12-4EF2-8E3F-9BFE84AE05A6.png

• Like Like x 3
  16. Jaycey

@zauberflöte Sounds like you are making real progress! Hope the PT can sort the stiffness. I assume he knows you want the gentle approach.

That cushion combo looks great!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Layla

Wow, that looks comfy for mom. Actually for anyone.
    It sounds as though things are beginning to fall into place. Hopefully it eases your mind and brings your mom comfort. You have a lot on your hands....we're here for you!
    @zauberflöte

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. zauberflöte

zauberflöte alpha

422B5BBC-691C-4DA2-AB17-54CD0F3E6DB3.jpeg Thank you all!! Bro left yesterday. The PT we talked to has given us more accurate info on what Medicare vs hospice does and does not pay for, so we are tracking that all down so far. He said next week is time enough. He knows our goal-- to walk to previous baseline.

I have no idea how Mom is today yet. Yesterday, I tried a gentle abduction of the leg and her face lit up; she said oh that's good! 30 minutes before that, she'd been screaming bloody murder as bro and carer stood her up. I could swear she said "I've fallen enough times already!!!" in the midst of the hollering.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Sending you continued prayers and healing thoughts for your Mom, please also take care of yourself.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad to see some gains and what a lovely picture.
    She is a tiny little thing.
    My father has been in the hospital for the fifth time in the last three months and is not about his new home in a very nice assisted living facility since the first of the year.
    Seeing strong people in a state of "fragile" is very upsetting.
    I truly feel for you...but we do what we must.

Quisque suos patimur Manes -Each of us suffers his own spirit.

• Friendly Friendly x 3