THR Worries about pain and recovery<

Well everyone ...l am off to my "well woman retreat" tomorrow and hoping for good thing
s.question to anyone ?? Particularly @Layla ,@Josephine and @mojo.....l went to a Motown night with friends last night , they were all up dancing and l decided , just to stand at the table and move (mainly waist up ) for half a song and my hip and thigh started hurting...going into calf!!! Given that the x.rays have come back fine, according to OS....but the physio did say (week and half ago ) that the muscle was just not strong enough to take the weight unaided...could this be muscle related??? Pain in mid thigh still there this morning....feels deeper than muscle !!...km confused and worried....any suggestions ???...regards to all...also as l am sitting...bit of pain in mid bottom cheek....always thought there was a bursa !!!
 
Ps...just dull ache in mid thigh this morning...almost at end of stem ....
 
Hi @Misscarol
Glad you will be getting out and embarking on this new little adventure though until you get these pain issues worked out I would definitely steer away from yoga that involves that leg.
There are so many muscles and tendons involved with the hip joint it is hard to say what might be aggravated. The stand up dancing might have annoyed something in your lower back which is famous for sciatica that can radiate down leg.
Are you still using a cane? Since strength is not there yet, you should help it.
Even subconscious tightening of the muscles when walking can cause thigh aches.
What does the PT suggest for strengthening the weak leg?
Warming up with light stretching and mindful heel to toe walking would be my thoughts for easing into a better gait.
I would let my OS know if things keep worsening and I certainly wouldn't overdo it in the meanwhile...
The pinning and collapse and subsequent THR has had to put that leg through alot...I realize you must get frustrated with the slow recovery, but if xrays are good, its going to take time for all the rest to get on board.

Hugs for a happy weekend...love to know how the experience goes.
 
Good Morning @Misscarol
Wishing you well as you head off on your retreat. I hope you form some new friendships and feel relaxed and recharged upon your return.

I'll bet the Motown event was fun. We've certainly been blessed with great music by the many talented artists who are a part of the Motown sound. I'm sure you engaged some sleepy muscles with movement and that's why you're a bit sore. I'd rest and ice any area of discomfort until you're feeling better. I've read here before, and experienced it ocassionally myself, that some have occasional end of stem pain for up to a couple years post op. I'm sure you'll be okay. Please don't let this shade your retreat, just take it slow and enjoy!
Hope to hear all about it upon your return. :loveshwr: :wave:
 
Hi everyone...something really testing me on this journey....got to the retreat...only to find they had a flood (that day) putting the kitchen and studio out of action...full refund....strangely enough...felt better driving back (cousin driving)l do think l had worked myself up about it !!!....the very GOOD news is...l was sat in the car for 6 hours and my hip etc was brilliant...slight stiffness , but , no pain ???...what's all that about ??...l will take it the positive out of that, for sure....have a good day my friends :loveshwr:
 
Sorry about the retreat...but great to hear your hip is doing better.
Have a great week @Misscarol :) :-) (:
 
strangely enough...felt better driving back (cousin driving)l do think l had worked myself up about it !!!....the very GOOD news is...l was sat in the car for 6 hours and my hip etc was brilliant...slight stiffness , but , no pain ???...what's all that about ?

I think you tolerated the car ride because you were relieved in a sense that the retreat was cancelled and felt totally relaxed because you were going back to your safety and familiarity. It seems like you get overly anxious about doing things you're uncomfortable with. Like going to the woman's retreat, or returning to your own home to continue recovery. I think the growth you'd experience in proving to yourself you can do these things are opportunities you're missing out on. You're stronger than you're giving yourself credit for and I'm happy to see you stepped out. I'm sorry the opportunity fizzled.
I hope you had a good night's sleep and your day is a peaceful one!
 
Thankyou @Mojo333 and @Layla....l think you are absolutely correct Layla...just dont seem to find the strength to do that final leap :what:....how crazy is that from a woman who had her own businesses (3) and was someone who friends came to for advice....must must must try harder....:roseshwr:
 
You'll get there, you're just in a rut, spinning your wheels, but you'll get out. You'll most likely need to push yourself out of your comfort zone a bit though.
We're here for you!
@Misscarol
 
It's very disconcerting when you have always been able to handle life well, to have to deal with bad hips, pain and facing a surgery and recovery...:unsure:
Knocks us off our game.:umm:
Keep the faith...you'll get your mojo back!:ok:
 
Hello @Misscarol

Catching up on your thread. Think it’s amazing that your hip felt great after a six hour ride!! Sorry that your woman’s retreat was a bust. What a bummer.

I don’t know for sure, but I have had lots of mid thigh pain which has come and gone. I have been told it comes from over use of front femoral muscles. The back side, primarily glutes, but also abdominals get weak pretty quickly from sitting. Try to focus on firing your glutes to walk, not tighten, but engage them as you focus on heal toe walking. It will gradually take the pressure off your front thigh muscles. You might also ask PT about some gentle front stretches. I have had lots of relief from that. Make sure to have someone really study your gate to see if you are leaning forward or to either side. I really have to concentrate as my body has gotten used to a slight lean forward. It relieves pressure on knee and front of leg when I move properly.

Anxiety has been a constant companion for me with all this last year. I find changing my scenery and getting some fresh air the most helpful. Have to plan daily to get myself out there. I am always rewarded with an ease of worries. Sending healing thoughts ❤️ Take care!
 
Thankyou so much @Fit4Family ...l am seeing my PT shortly and shall discuss your suggestions...do some very gentle excersizes at the moment and l do walk heel to toe....l hope you continue well in your journey and l send you healing hugs and a :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @Layla ,@Mojo333 and @Josephine ...this hip is really taking me on a journey....went out shopping today and after half an hour the hip was paining and radiating (if you recall l had this after Motown ) into my lower back , buttock and into calf....have taken things very easy since last episode...but this is concerning me now...as you know x.rays came back fine ...does this sound like bursitis??...have requested an appointment with my surgeon...l really need to get to the bottom (pardon the pun ) of what l am dealing with...weeks ago l was walking (with 1 crutch , which l still have ) around the parl with my friend for a mile or so in less discomfort...thankyou my friends :what:
 
Hip joint so painful to the touch....
 
Hello @Misscarol - from another Carol! I hope you are able to see your OS soon. I'd be worried too. But during our recoveries, I think we all worry..a lot!
The way your discomfort pain travels reminds me of when I've irritated my lower back. But I've got a temperamental back so I guess that's why I think of it as a possibility to factor into the equation. Our gait gets so whacky before, during and after our THR and the back can often protest. it's just a thought.

Bursitis is definitely something to ask your OS about.
I hope you can take it easy over the weekend.
Your retreat was canceled! What a disappointment-slash-relief! Will they reschedule it in the near future?
Take care and I hope you get your hip figured out sooner than later. Whoever penned the phrase "Time heals all wounds" must have had a joint replacement! :snork:
 
Thankyou @CricketHip ....your absolutely right about the phrase:rotfl:.....yes l need to see him and know what l am dealing with !!!....see how l feel re : the retreat, in future....my good wishes to you...:flwrysmile:
 
Gracious, MissCarol. I hate to hear the pain in the behind is sticking around.
The pain radiating down also sounds like sciatica.
Piriformis syndrome irritates the sciatic nerve, causing sciatica pain, low back pain and leg pain and is not uncommon with THR patients.
You might want to discuss this possibility with your surgeon too.
Meanwhile check this article from our library
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome.9837/
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom