Guest viewing is limited

THR Will in DC's THR recovery

I removed the outer dressing at about 8 days IIRC. It was mostly there for padding as there was no seepage from the incision through the underlying clear tape into the padding. The instructions said to leave that underlying piece of tape on until it comes off on its own and to trim the loose parts off as they lift. The PA saw it at my 4 week check and confirmed that. It took almost 5 weeks for all of that to come off in my case.

This sounds exactly like my dressing. I was also told that I could shower. I removed my dressing after 10 days, and the wound looked pretty good to me.
 
Last edited:
I only had the tape and could shower without protecting it. When I saw surgeon for 2 week review he told me I could take it off.
 
8 days post. Swelling is noticeably down, but fatigue is persistent. Ive been taking a nap or two everyday for the last few days, and sleeping longer in the morning,.often getting up to tske meds, applying an ice pack and getting right back in bed for another couple hours.

.I can walk fine without the cane, but will continue using it to avoid patterning a slight limp. When I first get up, stiffness and soreness makes me instinctively protect the area with a slight limp for the first 2-3 steps. I don't want that engrained in my natural stride once healed, and the cane allows me to avoid it.
 
You're doing great, Will. Amazing how quickly the post-op day count goes up... and the naps make it seem to go faster stil!
 
Thanks Raylo. You asked how I came to need a THR at 51...well, I knew by 37 that I would need one by 50. I was very athletic, a fairly high level rock climber for almost 30 years, and have some.slight scoliosis that.loads the right hip sub-optimally. I was always climbing, lifting, hiking, or biking and it took its toll.

I couldn't put max force through that leg in many positions in my late 30s, but maintained enough mobility and strength that it didn't limit me, even in extreme difficulty climbing. By 45 it was becoming a real issue, but I still set some age-group records in powerlifting at 45, squatting and deadlifting my lifetime bests (though it was painful).

The last few years it has deteriorated quickly and I had comically limited mobility, to the point the surgeon even commented on it.. This spring, I could barely stand for an hour, and would need pain meds to sleep afterwards. A work trip where I had to fly all over and stand for 1-2 hrs a few times a week was the trigger to finally schedule the replacement. Quality of life was bad, I went from climbing prestigious routes to not even being able to visit a museum.
 
15 days after - walking without the cane, incision looks good, more pain in other muscles adapting than from the surgery itself.

Getting dressed is easier, and I'm mostly sleeping on my side. Could easily drive, but haven't needed to, as I took two full weeks off work and will telework for a week or two starting on day 18.

I was very well prepared with food, meds, and assistive devices. Some of these I've not needed, used rarely,.or bought too much. The sock tool is handy, but I only needed the grabber a few days. The long shoe horn/dressing stick has been useful for many tasks (e.g. opening and closing the A/C vent over my bed, taking off socks). I didn't need the leg lifter strap, but mostly because I have strong lower abs.

Bought two sizes.of compression stockings, because I am sort of between sizes (small calves and quads in relation to ankle size). Only needed the larger ones. Bought over the counter meds, not understanding they my doc would also prescribe them (and insurance would pay for prescribed drugs...ex: Tylenol, baby aspirin, colcace). Bought way more Hibiclens than I needed, I think one 4oz bottle would have been plenty for the 3 pre-op showers,.I somehow bought a two-pack of 4oz.bottles and either added another two-pack to the cart by mistake or Amazon accidentally sent me two.... anyway, I have.3 full bottles left. Bought a couple rolls of gauze dressings and tape, have yet to use any because the surgical tape is still in place..Got a couple laxative products, haven't needed any and stopped taking the prescribed colcace after a few days.

It's better to be over prepared than under, though I spent at least $150 that I didn't need to because I just didn't know.
 
Last edited:
I learnt many of those same lessons. But we'll be more efficient next time. Part of that was the erroneous pre-op package that implied we might need gauze and that we'd need sponge baths. LOL. But we got a hermetically sealed incision and dressing. :)

15 days after - waking without the cane, incision looks good, more pain in other muscles adapting than from the surgery itself.

Getting dressed is easier, and I'm mostly sleeping on my side. Could easily drive, but haven't needed to, as I took two full weeks off work and will telework for a week or two starting on day 18.

I was very well prepared with food, meds, and assistive devices. Some of these I've not needed, used rarely,.or bought too much. The sock tool is handy, but I only needed the grabber a few days. The long shoe horn/dressing stick has been useful for many tasks (e.g. opening and closing the A/C vent over my bed, taking off socks). I didn't need the leg lifter strap, but mostly because I have strong lower abs.

Bought two sizes.of compression stockings, because I am sort of between sizes (small calves and quads in relation to ankle size). Only needed the larger ones. Bought over the counter meds, not understanding they my doc would also prescribe them (and insurance would pay for prescribed drugs...ex: Tylenol, baby aspirin, colcace). Bought way more Hibiclens than I needed, I think one 4oz bottle would have been plenty for the 3 pre-op showers,.I somehow bought a two-pack of 4oz.bottles and either added another two-pack to the cart by mistake or Amazon accidentally sent me two.... anyway, I have.3 full bottles left. Bought a couple rolls of gauze dressings and tape, have yet to use any because the surgical tape is still in place..Got a couple laxative products, haven't needed any and stopped taking the prescribed colcace after a few days.

It's better to be over prepared than under, though I spent at least $150 that I didn't need to because I just didn't know.
 
Had the 4 week follow-up yesterday, all good. No movement restrictions, X-rays look good, strength excellent and mobility is good and improving.

When I saw the X-ray from right after the surgery, the stem looked like it was not fully seated in the femur. There is a little sort of flange at the top of the stem that appeared to have a gap between it and top of the bone. The X-ray yesterday had two views with the leg in internal and external rotation. In one view, it appears same as the prior x-ray, in other view you can see the flange is flush with the bone....must just be the angle of the cut when they saw the bone. Anyway, that eased my mind.

Doc did say my other hip was pretty worn and would eventually need replacement, but given I have no pain or limitations from that one, it may be several years or even a decade before its needed. I knew 14 years ago that my right would need replacement by 50, it was already painful in some positions and mobility was compromised compared to the left.

Finished the in home PT about 10 days ago, and have been gradually increasing the length of my two main daily walks. Currently at 3/4 mi each, with half that on uneven trail in the woods with a couple hundred feet of elevation loss and gain. Still doing the PT exercises 2x a day, and doing some light yard work for 30m to an hour, mostly just watering plants.

I stopped the compression stockings several days ago, am rarely icing, and have reduced the Tylenol to as needed which is once a day or less. Still taking the Celebrex and aspirin 2x day until the 6 week mark.

Driving, working, and returning to full time in-office on Mon after a couple weeks teleworking from home. While I am clearly out of shape, muscles are sore after moderate activity, and fatigue sets in easily, I feel very good overall and occasionally feel "normal", as if I haven't recently had surgery.
 
Sounds like you are doing great with plenty of activity. Hopefully returning to work won't be too bad, get up and walk as much as you can.

Yes, the doc noted that my other (left) hip is also worn out and might eventually need replaced, but like yours it is largely asymptomatic. My pre-op radiology report even said both hips were worn with the right one maybe just a little more bone on bone than the left. It isn't clear to me why they felt so different or how much more mileage I'll get out of the original left hip. But I am not in a hurry to do another one.
 
You're having a fine recovery!!!!

We normally recommend a phased, partial hours return to work - shorter hours a few days a week, slowly increasing - to ensure a balance of rest and movement and, yep, The Fatigue.

Folks often underestimate the energy needed to get up and ready to leave the house plus the getting there, and the reverse at the end of a full day at work.

So be kind to yourself!
 
You're doing great!
Best Wishes as you return to the office tomorrow and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a good week. :)
@Will in DC
 
Another month gone by...Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Please let us know if you have the time.
Take good care!
@Will in DC
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom