Bilateral TKR Will I be able to care for my dog after surgery?

Crossfit

Country
United States United States
I was scheduled for BTKR, but Kaiser staff are going on strike, so now I have to do one knee at a time. I was going to board my dog for a few days when I was having both knees done, but now that I’m only doing one knee, do you think it’s still necessary? I will have help at home for a week or two. I’d prefer to have my dog at home because he’s comforting, but he is a large and rambunctious guy. Any advice appreciated!

Yes, do board your dog for at least a week. That's the time when you'll be least likely to be able to look after other people/pets! After my revision (see signature) I was imagining I could very easily look after my two cats but my neighbour kept coming round and seeing to them and I was immensely grateful! But at least they didn't need walkies!

My wife provided 24 hour help with my 2 dogs, who are both little and very active. I could have coped OK on my own, except when they both decided to play boisterously out of sight, and I needed to get there to sort them. Plus they always want to go out for toileting one at a time, plus the odd time in the middle of the night!!
A lot depends on the dog, and how long your help is around.
My wife would rather board me out, and the dogs would stay home
If in doubt, make life easy for yourself, the first week or two isn't easy.

Oh, I forgot to tell you an unwritten about dogs and TKRs:
If they CAN jump on your poorly knee, THEY WILL!

Lol! I will definitely board him, I don’t need a 110lb dog jumping on my knees!

I was scheduled for BTKR, but Kaiser staff are going on strike, so now I have to do one knee at a time.
@Crossfit - Do you have a date yet for your separate knee replacements? If so, please let us know, so that we can change your signature. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Thank you for letting me know.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean