• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Will I be able to care for my dog after surgery?

Crossfit

Country
United States United States
I was scheduled for BTKR, but Kaiser staff are going on strike, so now I have to do one knee at a time. I was going to board my dog for a few days when I was having both knees done, but now that I’m only doing one knee, do you think it’s still necessary? I will have help at home for a week or two. I’d prefer to have my dog at home because he’s comforting, but he is a large and rambunctious guy. Any advice appreciated!

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Yes, do board your dog for at least a week. That's the time when you'll be least likely to be able to look after other people/pets! After my revision (see signature) I was imagining I could very easily look after my two cats but my neighbour kept coming round and seeing to them and I was immensely grateful! But at least they didn't need walkies!

Tykey

big-cheese
My wife provided 24 hour help with my 2 dogs, who are both little and very active. I could have coped OK on my own, except when they both decided to play boisterously out of sight, and I needed to get there to sort them. Plus they always want to go out for toileting one at a time, plus the odd time in the middle of the night!!
A lot depends on the dog, and how long your help is around.
My wife would rather board me out, and the dogs would stay home
If in doubt, make life easy for yourself, the first week or two isn't easy.

OP
OP
Crossfit

Crossfit

Country
United States United States
Lol! I will definitely board him, I don’t need a 110lb dog jumping on my knees!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Campie2
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom