Why so few males here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi harry47,
You are right less men post here, you are not the only man needing a THR. I counted 4 men posting in pre op on page one of the forum. You just have to look a little harder.
One study I looked at said women comprise 57% of people having THR, which explains some of the difference, but not all.
I am sure someone else will have a better answer,
 
I noticed the same thing too! Even though I do not post very much; I do read this forum almost daily; especially since I am now 1 week out from my LTHR. A lot of good info here!
 
@harry47 lol many of us are genetically inclined to OA, and for myself 20 years of ballet classes and 20,000+ miles of jogging just caused it to show up earlier. My dad had a THR in his mid sixties, and had done no high impact exercise once he got out of the Army, stayed thin and Active, all the right stuff.
As to more women on here,,,,,, well, who talks more? Who is apt to make casseroles and take them to neighbors, real or cyber? Who finds it easier to approach total strangers and talk about her failings and feelings? :rotfl: Do you get my drift? ;)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Harry.....it's true that we do have more women posters....at least for now. I agree that it's probably a factor of women being the more "chatty" of the sexes. But if you want some male bonding over the hip experience, you'll find guys here to talk with. In fact, we've had some of our male members become good friends while going through recovery and that friendship has remained after all the healing was done.
 
I agree with Jaime, most men are more "clam like" than their female counterparts...it's nice to find a few who are comfortable with voicing any concerns and/or fears they may have!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking it is part of the same dynamic of not asking for directions or reading the manual. I hate to revert to stereotyping by gender, but it does seem to be more of a male characteristic to not admit any weakness, and posting on forums like this is perhaps perceived as a weakness by men moreso than by women. It seems like it would be more typical of a male to say...I need a THR. I'll just get it done, and move on. I don't need to ask a bunch of questions on a forum. A woman is more apt to think about all the logistics....how long...what can I....how will I....who will take care of....what if.... A man is more apt to say...just do it.

But Harry, now that you're here...and you are quite welcome....what can we tell you? Do you have any questions or concerns?

Sharon
 
57% female is surprising. I would have expected the opposite with so many men involved in contact or impact sports.
No more men than women there, I suspect! It is a fact that more women than men require joint replacements but this is largely due to most hip replacements being done in the 70+ age groups and women living longer than men!
 
@harry47

42 yo white male here, heading for a total right hip replacement next Wednesday, May 6th. Mine was a result of a crushed femoral neck and non-Union. I will update as I progress.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I worked as a professional counselor for many years, and it's my experience that men don't like to open up about their feelings, weaknesses, and other "feminine" topics. Well, I've got news for the macho crew. We all have weaknesses, everything we do and say is colored by emotions, and the worst possible approach is to keep everything bottled up. No judgment at BS, only support, and support has been proven to be a vital part of the healing process.

I hit a major glitch in healing from my first THR in 2012. I was overdoing PT, feeling miserable, but didn't want to discuss it for fear of looking like a wimp, I think--it was really an unconscious process. Finally, in desperation, I posted the whole mess on BS. What a relief! There was a flood of emotional support from my fellow hippies, and some invaluable no-nonsense advice from Josephine and others. This enabled me to stand up to my pushy PT and get my symptoms under control. It was a major factor in speeding my recovery.

So, glad you're here, @harry47 . I'll leave you with an anecdote concerning my OS.

We were discussing my recovery process. I told the OS about my friend Susan, who returned to her beloved Zumba classes 2 weeks after THR. "Doesn't surprise me," said the OS. "When it comes to recovery, women are stronger than men." So what do y'all think about that?
 
A can of worms...hee hee! @harry47
From what I've seen on this forum the men are far more 'competitive' in their recovery....they want to achieve the milestones...push harder! But lots of the men on BS are very supportive to everyone....it's great to see more men involved with perhaps a different perspective.
I often wondered if childbirth & lugging kids around on our hips have a part to play as well for women. Also THR seems to be an emotional roller coaster for some of us ladies....perhaps not so for the men?
Good luck for your upcoming THR......mine was 18 months ago & is just great.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Recovery is an emotional roller coaster for men too, but many of us cannot or do not want to acknowledge that. I think that expressing and being in touch with emotions is a real strength. But people who do these things might appear weaker--you know, accused of whining, complaining, etc--when really the opposite is true.

Oh yes, there are some really supportive men on BS. There has been a change for the better since my father's day. He never met an emotion that he couldn't repress. Still, we all loved him dearly.
 
This thread is interesting to me. My hip twin for my first surgery was a man, and he and I still text occasionally with my second surgery. I think a great deal of it has to do how women are wired to deal with things vs how men are wired for it. Women , and I believe psychological research backs me up on this, tend to seek others for information and comfort. Men tend to seek the information, but they tend not to speak up in the group. They take in info, but they don't always share their stories comfortably. Yes, those are generalizations, but as I said, I believe research backs that up.
Male or female, I have appreciated every ounce of information and support I've gotten here.
Lynn
 
Interesting ideas

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi there @harry47 I've been here and gone and now back for a while and yes I agree with all the above, women are more open to sharing I feel and are generally a lot better communicators in general.

When working I work in a correctional centre (all male prisoners) here in Australia and the best officers I find are the females as they can communicate on a non macho level with the prisoners.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom