THR Why did I wait this long?

HipsDon'tLie

Country
United States United States
Anyone out there who had been partially denying their pain and condition? I feel as though all that time I was in dream and now I am awake and have severely damaged joints that must be replaced. THR for the right is November 9. The left will come next.

Oh, I can so identify! I think part of my issue was a reaction to the flippant way people told me to "get new ones" when they heard I had hip pain. But also, the medical professionals try to do whatever they can to help people manage the condition without having major surgery, so it's easy to think of surgery as a bad thing. But it's wonderful when you have a special person who helps you see all the things you're giving up, as your life and world grow smaller and smaller. And while joint replacement surgery is major and does require healing time, the end result is wonderful, and the freedom you get back is such a gift!

@HipsDon'tLie Welcome to BoneSmart! I limped around for years before my first THR. The only reason I finally sought help was due to the hip collapsing.

It's great you have a surgery date and can finally move forward!

Yep! I can safely say now; "been there done that!"
I kept putting off the obvious but when you begin to suffer and gradually lose doing the things you love to do, you have to come to terms with what is best for you! X-rays don't lie and bone on bone is not anything to keep walking on for very much longer! You're doing the right thing now and although it's a big first step [pun intended] you bounce back fairly quick from this. Just be patient and give yourself some time for healing, do your exercises and try to keep a positive mental attitude!
You are getting this in before the holidays and imagine how well you will feel for Christmas!
Take care...God Bless!

I've been putting it off for a couple of years. I am looking at April when I have enough time accumulated from work to take off 12 weeks.

Today, I went out to vote...I had to wait on line for a half hour, I thought it would never end. The cold was affecting the pain in my hip and by the time I went in to drop off my ballot, I had a hard time walking to my car which was a block away.

It's deffinitely time.:) :-) (:

I have been putting mine off for about 5 years. I had my left one done in 2014. My right has given me pain off and on, getting a bit worse these last few months. Well, I took a spin class last Thursday and when I woke up Friday morning, I couldn’t walk. For the last week, the pain is so excruciating, that I can’t even move out of my recliner. I can’t bear any weight, I can’t eat because the pain is so bad, I can’t sleep, I have to pee in to a little bucket. I have never known such pain. I went to ER last weekend because I couldn’t bear the pain. I’ve never had pain like this and it’s not getting better. I got an appointment with an ortho doc for Friday. I need this surgery immediately! I never though it would come to this. If I would have known this would happen, I would have done the surgery a lot sooner. Every morning I wake up praying I will feel better. If they can’t get me in to surgery immediately, I don’t know what I can do. I can’t live like this.

I can relate too. Delayed surgery 4 years ago on advice from Pyshio. Was doing Cross-fit at time of diagnosis and he could not understand why at 58 I needed it then as fitness level and flexibility was above average for my age and I did not require medication for pain relief. He called it a money grab for everyone along the gravy train. I should have ignored his advice. Both my surgeon and doctor encouraged me to still go ahead because they said recovery would be much faster. I am worried the 2nd operation already booked for March could pose huge issues now.

Last edited:
Why do you think it will cause huge issues now more than before? Because you are in so much pain? I am so bummed. Sorry you are going through this, too.
I can relate too. Delayed surgery 4 years ago on advice from Pyshio. Was doing Cross-fit at time of diagnosis and he could not understand why at 58 I needed it then as fitness level and flexibility was above average for my age and I did not require medication for pain relief. He called it a money grab for everyone along the gravy train. I should have ignored his advice. Both my surgeon and doctor encouraged me to still go ahead because they said recovery would be much faster. I am worried the 2nd operation already booked for March could pose huge issues now.

Just to clarify my post above about the pain I was experiencing In my right hip. It wasn’t my hip failing after all. It turns out I had a staph infection that attacked my hip and other parts of my body. I ended up in the hospital for a month. I am home now for a month and the infection is gone. But my right hip still hurts and I am using a walker. I have an appointment with the ortho next week to schedule my replacement. I need clearance from my doctor because I have been so ill. Hoping for April.

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry you were Ill. Keep us posted. Hope you feel better!

Sorry you had to go through that @Dmcfad2. :yikes: I hope you feel better and are able to get surgery scheduled soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom