Guest viewing is limited

TKR When will the swelling end?

@smcsmc727 how are you faring? hoping you are doing so well you forgot about posting!


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm enjoying getting caught up on your updates, stu. Have you tried sleeping with ice? I hook up to the polar cube, I call it plugging into the matrix, every night at bedtime. I can still toss and turn a bit with the cord. But it might help your nighttime swelling.
 
November 3, 2017

It's been quite a while since I posted. I think April was my last one. The reason I haven't updated is because I've been in a holding pattern for months. My knee advanced to the point where above it there was no longer any swelling. That being said, on the sides and below my knee, after 39 weeks following my TKR, it's still swollen and achy.

It's not so bad that I can't do anything I want. I just ignore the symptoms. I've settled into a routine. I go to the Y 3 times a week and I walk a mile, bike 3 miles, and swim 2 laps. I play 2.5 hours of shuffleboard once or twice a week, and 5 weeks ago I joined a bowling league. I do all the yard work I need to do, and various repairs around the house.

I lost 30 lbs following the knee surgery and have worked very hard to keep most of it off.

I guess I'm just one of the "lucky" ones that will have symptoms for a year or longer. I am really tired of this, but it's out of my control. When my knee hurts or it feels really tight I continue to elevate and ice.

Initially, I was only sleeping 2 hours a night. Now I'm up to 4 hours, and sometimes I can fall back asleep but usually not. I tried not napping and it didn't make any difference so I've gotten in a regular routine of afternoon naps.

If anything new develops I'll return with an update.
 
hi stu...i just read your thread and your posts are wonderful and humorous, made me giggle on this boring night ~ hubby and dog in bed; me and my laptop getting into internet debates (not here of course). i'm also in a holding pattern at almost 7 months. i'm impressed with all that you can do. keep us updated.:giggle:
 
Stu I think you would find there are many more ‘lucky’ ones than you think who still have discomfort and swelling up to a year and beyond. I am one of them. My OS said 18months to 2 years to get as good as it gets. I like you am getting on with it and i ice in the evenings often.
Sorry to hear sleep is not great, I take 2 slow realease paracetamol at bedtime (1200mg) and that sees me through a good 8 hours sleep.
 
I am almost 9 months out and have pain and swelling too. I focus on the fact that 90% of the time I am good and when there is pain its no where near what it was before replacement. You are active and productive and sound like your doing great, dont let the doldrums get you. How long were you sleeping before your replacement? I struggle too getting back to sleep after bathroom trips or aches wake me up. No help but maybe knowing your not in the boat alone...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stu, you will see, I too am one who still has the swelling and discomfort and I'm 10 months out - yesterday (feel free to read my 10 month update I posted last night). Everyone heals at their own pace and my body takes the slow scenic route. I should have figured that would happen - if I had my right knee scoped and it took over 6 months for that heat to leave, I should have figured this would take at least double that time. Sounds like you have a routine down and the knee goes along for the ride. I think one day, it will stop swelling and the aches will become less. I still ice every day at some point and elevate.
 
glad to hear you are being productive even if the knee doesn't behave as well as expected. I find I swell more if I don't walk my miles and though I still have some numbness and pain in the side of the knees, my foot seems to be the daily pain [emoji52] but I walk anyhow! Sleep... I still have some trouble! not sure if it's restless legs, pain in foot, low back pain or what! typical night... maybe 5 hours. ( tried a new mattress, dedicated bedtime hour, and not drinking after 7. ) ha getting up for bladder breaks really stinks. anyhow thinking the knees will settle, and I am happy that I can do so much of what I want, basically in 15 % of the presurgery pain. so life is good! do you find swimming helps? I just rejoined the gym with the lap pool.. hoping it is a good winter activity! keep plugging away! I refuse to give in to the elevating and ice game... though the pool is cold it maybe helps on the days I get there to ease the minor swelling.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom