THR When can I get back to the gym?<

@erwrightie, well ... really, I don't think you need to worry about the hip getting "stuck." Your muscles got stretched, cut, pushed, pulled and every other thing as part of the surgery ... and the surgeon hammers in ... pounds into our bones a new metal device ... there is a lot of trauma ... That big incision in your leg ... that's a real cutting/dicing/slicing there.

The soft tissue recovers at its own pace ... In addition ... it takes about three months for the device to fuse with bone ... At this stage, I think your risk is going the other way: doing too much ... You'll gradually do more without even intending to do so.

So yes, the soft tissue has to recover ... before we gain real strength. Takes time and healing for us to walk ... and and move ... this is major surgery you had ... not a minor procedure. ...

@Going4fun thanks for the reply. You are right, it is a big operation and I don’t want to do too much but I was a really active person pre op so it’s really hard not to think I won’t get back to that.

@erwrightie, I also was very active ... especially several years ago ... but the hip pain worsened ... My recovery has been slower than I had hoped ... but I had the surgery precisely to get back to activity ... not to walk without pain around the block ... So I'm in month seven ... and I can tell my hip is turning a corner. I went out dancing the other night ... and my hip felt great! ... felt only the mildest twinge ... a few times ... compared to ... major pain before surgery ... major pain and limping after I danced.

So you'll get there ... You are in the hardest time ... and we recover at different rates. My surgeon hoped that I could really resume dancing after a few months ... certainly by month 3 ... Well ... that didn't happen ... but it's happening now. You might return to activity faster than I did ... but your body will tell you when you've done too much. I sense you're worried that if you only slowly returned to activity, you will be stuck. Not true ... You'll get there.

I started w bent leg fallouts. You lie on your back w both legs bent, tighten your core, and in a VERY controlled manner, allow one knee to fall a little out to the side and bring it back in.

It works those inner thigh muscles, but also works the sides of the glutes that control abduction. You can think about tightening them b4 you start the movement.

@Going4fun I was still very active before surgery and just worked through the pain because I wanted my leg to be strong for surgery! I’m glad to hear that you were able to dance with no pain, that’s great news. I’ve already done my first outdoor cycle of 13.7 miles and I spent three days without using a walking aid. However, the top of my foot on my good leg is now really painful. I think the strain of walking on it for the last 6 weeks. Or I hope that’s why. I’ve been icing it for the last couple of hours.

@tollertwins oooh I’ve been doing those. It’s not my out glutes that are the problem is the muscle or tendon that attaches to he pubus bone. It’s rock solid and hurts when I first start to abduct. I give it a massage and that helps and helps me abduct the leg further

Oh...I have that. The adductors are tight and shortened. It actually turns my foot in when I’m tired.

Mine got to where there was a smallish muscle bundle that was tightened down to the size of my thumb that hurt like all getout if I stepped wrong.

The PT is doing deep tissue massage on it. Monday he’s going to do some IASTM to see if we can get it to let go some more. He already warned me it was going to hurt like hell. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I also used this gadget called “the hipstick” (you can google it) a lot b4 surgery to get in there, it’s hard to get to otherwise. It’s common for people w FAI to have all sorts of grody tissue in that area.

Mine also “snaps” sometimes...like it just locks and won’t go to the side, then I get a “bang” and all of a sudden it can move again.

Last edited:
Happy Two Month Anniversary to the pretty lady with the lovely locks.
I hope all is well.
Please leave us an update next time you drop by. We'd love to hear how you are feeling about your progress.
Wishing you all the best!
@erwrightie

Hey All, just an update on what I’ve been up to. So 4 weeks post op I started back in the gym doing light cycles and light upper body workouts which I slowly increased. At 6 weeks I did my first outdoor 13 mile cycle and increased my upper body weights and started working my abs. 8 weeks post op and I did my first outdoor 50 mile cycle and an hours swim. The hip is feeling so good but still got a way to go. My physio is just amazing, my pelvis isn’t moving the way it should (she said this was normal for someone who has had AVN) and that’s why I have limited movement with bending my knee towards my chest so we did LOADS of work on that today and it’s feeling more flexible and loose. Thank you for your all comments and replies xx

Ok...I'm going to attribute the phenomenal recovery to your age. I suddenly feel like a miserable slacker :heehee:
But...I'm 62 and you're 26. Quite a bit of difference in reversing those two numbers.
Aaah, there...that made me feel better.

Keep it up, you're doing great!
@erwrightie

Oh gosh please don’t feel like a slacker!! I think because I was so active before the op my muscles have remembered but there are still things I’m struggling with like range of motion.. I always refused to let having a hip replacement so young hold me back. I’ve had a lot of pitying looks from people that have learnt I’ve had to have a new hip at 26 which has made me more determined. Thank you xx

This reminds me of when Heidi Klum said “Women always ask me why they can’t look like me after a baby, and I ask them if they looked like me BEFORE a baby!”

I cannot believe I am quoting her.. but you get the point! Our recoveries are of course correlated to our pre-op lives. And yours is AMAZING!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hey All, just a quick update! I cycled from London to Paris over the weekend. That’s 287 miles in 3 days on an 11 week old hip!! I literally can’t explain how proud I am of my new hip and I! Sore legs now but totally worth it xx

Way to go @erwrightie !!! :bicycle1:

Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment so soon after surgery!!!

Amazing!
Hope you're able to rest and recover now.
A great rest of the week to you!
@erwrightie

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wondering what you're up to these days in your awesome recovery?
Leave us an update next time you drop by, we'd love to hear.
Hope you have a great Summer! :) :SUNsmile:
@erwrightie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom