BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

what to expect (generally)

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by TerryS, Feb 24, 2018.

1. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

United States United States
    Gads, I hope my hospital doesn't have screeching beds, 'cuz they're gonna get sick of the noise, lol...they should feel lucky it won't be my brother. He would have them running. He's mean when he's sick. I'm just independent :)

2. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew post-grad

Guess how I found out about the bed alarms..........:rotfl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Is this particular to recent surgical patients? An entire section of screeching beds.

"Oh man, I lost a bet and drew the screeching beds on my shift tonight. If one of those old dears tries sneaking to the bathroom alone, no late night Pepsi for them."

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

And I love Pepsi, lol...

5. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

I do remember the post-op blues though. I was thinking, Where the heck did this come from?? That's what's nice about support groups :)

6. Oomworthy

Oomworthy junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Reading all the toilet comments had me remembering my 7 weeks in hospital after my crash. I'd fractured my pelvis (as well as dislocating my knee etc etc) so 5 of those weeks were flat, immobile bed rest. When I needed to pee I got a bottle, when I needed to poo I got a team of 3-4 nurses who had to go through a complicated but well drilled bed roll maneuver - and lots of indignant processes that I'll be glad to never go through again, and won't describe here.

As much as I'm not looking forward to the TKR recovery protocols, nothing will be as bad as my recovery from those injuries, but what I learned from that time was that you have to give yourself over to the professionals and follow their routines. Nurses are very busy people, so as annoying as it might be for us to be sat on the toilet for a few minutes longer than we need, imagine having to be running around after a dozen patients all at different stages and with different needs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Ooo, I respectfully disagree. If I'm capable, I'm not having the help. And I will let them know to feel free to check, but do not insist on taking me. Trust me, if I need help, I will ask. Thereby freeing the aforementioned overworked nurse to lavish her attentions on the patient next door :)

8. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Or my brother, screaming bc the nurse wasn't there fast enough, lol...

9. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

True. Nurses are stretched very thin. Though I think it is the aides who help for things like this these days. Also overworked and underpaid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oomworthy

Oomworthy junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry @NDSunshine, I didn't mean giving up to them completely regardless of your ability - I meant that if they say so then that's the way.. until we agree you can manage. They have a responsibility and the hospital will have procedures that they are bound to. I'm sure they're happy for an able patient to get on with it themselves, but they're also the ones who have seen dozens, perhaps hundreds, of patients think they can manage but who end flat on their face on a hard floor.

My mother-in-law is an extremely proud and stubborn woman who has rarely been under medical care, and when she was in the hospital for suspected multiple strokes, she refused to use a bedpan. She got up and walked to the bathroom herself - without even telling the staff - and risked all sorts of serious consequences. She got quite the telling off from the nurses, doctors and her family. And rightly so. Once she had shown them that she was capable they were happy enough for her to go by herself as long as she told them where/when she was going.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lovetocookandsew

I've been looking on the other side to see if you had your surgery-haven't seen you posting there yet. Hope you had it and all went well.

12. Tired2007

Tired2007 junior member

Nurses would want you to press your call bell. They don’t mind coming or sending an aide. I was currently in the hospital after bilateral knees four days ago and I use the call bell. There’s no way I’d try this on my own. I told my surgeon: I waited and fought to get these knees/out of this pain - I’m not going to risk hurting myself because I had to pee. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  13. HappyCatTX

HappyCatTX new member

Reading the toilet comments, I will like to add a comment. Some pain medications such as the oxycodons produce constipation !!!!!. They will remind you to regularly take some Milanta, prumes, prume juice, etc. Don't wait for several days, it can be painful if you wait.

14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Constipation is an issue we almost all have while taking narcotic pain relief.
    This article suggest some ways to combat it:
    Constipation and stool softeners

15. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Tired2007, after being in joint class yesterday and seeing the person that willingly admits being a jerk to nurses, now I get it. Blustering, obnoxious, tried talking over me like I don't exist...those poor nurses.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

16. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

As a patient, I can say that I never knew you were supposed to push the call button for a nurse!! I got up to go to the bathroom about 2 hours post op and had to climb over the CPM machine!! I scurried to the bath room and when i came out an annoyed nurse was there and yelled at me for not pushing the button to call her. How was i supposed to know to do that?

17. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Skigirl, lol...I know, right? I only know bc I read this forum. I learned about bed alarms also, which I never heard of before.

Do they confiscate our scrip meds while in hospital, and dole them out to us? Thats what it sounded like yesterday at pre-op. Pffft. One night stay? Ur not doling my meds like Im some child. If that's the case, I can do until I come home.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

18. Tired2007

Tired2007 junior member

Not sure how it works for your hospital, but meds in my Hospital were not the meds I went home with. They are ordered daily per doctor’s orders, and given per dosage timeline. I actually ended up getting a pain script upon leaving my 9 days in rehabilitation unit. Same as with my blood thinner...21 days and I only had to pay OOP/get a script for the remaining days once heading home.

19. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    In Switzerland, where I live, you bring your own meds to the hospital and you take them yourself. I got my pain meds and anti-thrombosis meds from the nurse. It‘s good because you get to take your meds, not a substitute because the hospital doesn‘t have x or y drug, and I guess it keeps down cost.

When you leave the hospital after a TKR, you walk out with your crutches. No wheel chairs unless absolutely necessary.

20. lovetocookandsew

My hospital has you leave all meds at home. Whatever current meds are on your chart are then filled while you're in the hospital, and you take them as usual. They're already filled when you get to your room, as they go over all that information when you arrive in the admitting area. Any new prescriptions prescribed for you for home are sent directly to the pharmacy (they generally give you a month's worth at a time for each prescription, or the amount the doctor prescribed if it's only a 10 day course, etc.), and whoever is driving you home just has to go to the pharmacy (it's right there at the hospital) and pick them up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018 at 7:01 PM