Guest viewing is limited

What kind of exercises should I be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
trumpsux, I know what you mean about not taking walking for granted...I watch TV now and think how nice it will be to walk like those people do, to be able to bend at my knees to pick things up and to be able to put on socks normal and many other things.....just to be normal again. That yoga move is a good name for us getting up:heehee: doesn't sound so sad that way.
 
sandybeach, Gosh it is cold in your state ! I bet you are all coping better than we are in England. If we get as much as a couple of inches of snow everything grinds to a halt.Still as you say Spring is not too far off now My daughter spent a year in St Louis when she was at uni and I remember that although the winters were really cold the summers were red hot so at least you will have some sun to look forward to.

I haven't really started my preparations yet but plan to start batch cooking for the freezer this weekend with healthy meals as my husband doesn't do cooking and as it took me 4 months to loose the 8 lb I had gained due to inactivity I don't fancy putting on more weight because of ready meals and takeaways. The crutches, walking frame and canes or as we all them walking sticks will all be supplied by the Pysio Dept at the hospital. I am not too sure about the other stuff I know My Mam was provided with them too. I am attending a Preop Education Session next week so will find out more then Ice packs over here are packets of frozen peas! It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about exercise too.

How many Grandchildren do you have ? I only have one baby Grandson. You are right they are wonderful. Take care of yourself.
 
Kim22, It can get ready cold here but it usually doesn't stay that cold for long. We are going to get some pretty nice weather coming, it will be above freezing. I have 3 granddaughters and my daughter found out she's having a boy in June. They all can keep us busy. Lately though, we haven't seen much of them. I have a really hard time getting around now and I haven't pushed to go see them or them to come see us. I have a lot of time to make up for after surgery but it will be fun time and I will be able to enjoy them. I am not sure what the hospital provides if anything, because of distance, I'm not going to a class. I suppose I can give them a call.

I know what you mean about the weight thing. It's really hard to lose weight when you can't get up and move around. I have gained weight, I can't wait to be able to get active and lose it. My son is getting married in September, I want to be healthy, lose the extra pounds and dance at the wedding...I have goals :happydance:
 
trumpsux Hi there nice to talk to you.I didn't know that there were others out there doing the Downward Dog ! You are so right about how good it it being able to hear from others in the same boat. I felt very isolated until I found this site and now I am chatting to others over the pond who also have bad hips and know exactly how I feel. I see you have had pain since 2010 same same as me. Have you got a date for surgery yet?
 
sandybeach What lovely goals you have for after your surgery, dancing at your sons wedding and actively enjoying your grandaughters again. Great news that are also having a grandson as well. You have lots to look forward to in this year and lots of incentives to go through the op .
 
I'm doing okay, just playing the waiting game like all of us are doing. I keep thinking I need to do more stuff to get ready but I think I'm pretty close. My husband has been collecting all the stuff that I have read on here that I need. Two weeks tomorrow is my surgery, I go in for my pre-op physical Friday....
How are you doing? You are a few weeks after me so I will be able to cheer you on when it's your time. Are you getting all the things you need for after surgery along with getting your home ready? That's one thing we will do before going to the hospital is get our family room set up to be a little better for me.
 
Thanks for the information. I live in Michigan and am scheduled for March21 LTH. so we get your weather after Minnesota and Wisconsin are done with it, (Some how it gets all stirred up again coming across Lake Michigan and dumps the mother load on my house.) I wanted to wait until winter was over so I wouldn't have to worry about slippin g on Ice and wrecking my surgery.
 
Welcome Kazoo....You get much more snow than us I think. We had so many storm warnings out for yesterday but they must have all petered out before they got to us because we got 8 inches of snow and hardly any wind so everything is in good shape today. I am worried now about slipping on the ice. I think it will be better after surgery. I have almost no rotation anymore which makes it so hard to walk. I'm not walking very far outside these days. I also have a handicap parking sticker, which seems to not come in so handy. Most of the time the parking spots are filled. But if I have to lift my legs at all it's painful so I shuffle along slow and as steady as I can.
 
I'm doing okay, just playing the waiting game like all of us are doing. I keep thinking I need to do more stuff to get ready but I think I'm pretty close. My husband has been collecting all the stuff that I have read on here that I need. Two weeks tomorrow is my surgery, I go in for my pre-op physical Friday....
How are you doing? You are a few weeks after me so I will be able to cheer you on when it's your time. Are you getting all the things you need for after surgery along with getting your home ready? That's one thing we will do before going to the hospital is get our family room set up to be a little better for me.

I am ok thank you but in more pain today on both sides which is annoying as so much to do I am having the Education Session Wednesday so will find out what will be provided by the NHS and if I need to buy anything I also have my Preop Assessment next Tuesday with a Nurse Practitioner. I am hoping I will be able to get upstairs to sleep and for the shower etc. The batch cooking for the freezer is coming on but I think I have done too much recently which has caused the pain. I have decided to avoid most public places for about 2 weeks before surgery
In an attempt to avoid the various coughs and colds that are around this time of year ! Not long for you now. Take care and try to take it easy.
 
Sorry to hear that you're in more pain today. Do you usually get pain on both sides? I do all the time but I know both my hips are shot. I'm debating about cooking and freezing much food. I don't know what all to make that is good recooked. I agree about the worry of getting sick between now and the surgery. We have so much flu going around here. I work in a small office in a large building. A few in our office have come in sick and I get petrified but then I hear people down the hall or walking in the hall coughing or talking about how sick they are. You take care also so you don't over do and start to really hurt.
 
I'm also deathly afraid of getting sick. I wash my hands so often they are super dry. I steer clear of anyone with the sniffles. If I'm at a store and the clerk is showing signs of a cold, I kind of freak out. Hand sanitizer to the rescue. I usually use a credit card so they don't need to hand me any germ covered change. Just put the receipt in the bag and I'll deal with it at home. It's amazing how many people drag themselves to work sick just to spread it to everyone else.
 
designergirl, we are scheduled for the same day and that's coming up soon. I would hate to have surgery cancelled because of the flu. I haven't waited this long just to have to wait longer. Stay healthy, we will both have to do whatever it takes to keep the germs away.
 
If I'm at a store and the clerk is showing signs of a cold, I kind of freak out. Hand sanitizer to the rescue.
What good is hand sanitiser going to do you? Colds and stuff are airborne so there's really no point.
I wash my hands so often they are super dry.
Having your skin dry is actually more of a problem than anything you might pick up. The natural oils on your skin are part of the skin's natural defence against infections.

Not meaning to be funny, but is this just about the surgery or are you like this at other times?
 
I'm not usually this much of a germ-a-phobe, just this winter with extra flu going around. More people than usual are sick in my workplace and they don't know when to stay home sick.
 
trumpsux Hi there nice to talk to you.I didn't know that there were others out there doing the Downward Dog ! You are so right about how good it it being able to hear from others in the same boat. I felt very isolated until I found this site and now I am chatting to others over the pond who also have bad hips and know exactly how I feel. I see you have had pain since 2010 same same as me. Have you got a date for surgery yet?
My surgery is April 2nd. Are you having both hips done at the same time also? Or have you already had surgery? Take care:flwrysmile:
 
@trumpux I am having my right hip replaced on 18th March. As far as I am aware they don't very often do bilaterals over here They tend to do one side, leave it a few weeks then do the other one. I am hoping that the pain in the left side is due more to the muscles taking most of the strain.The last X-ray of the left was ok but I know by experience how quickly O/A can flare up and sooner or later I will need the other one done. I hope it is later! I had a Preop education session yesterday and we were given a set of exercises to do 3- 4 times a day until the op. I will just concentrate on doing those now at home instead of going to the pool.

Your date is not long after mine are you making plans and preparations. regards Kim
 
trumpsux I meant to say that if you are looking for an inspiring bilateral success story read the thread by Gershom he is amazing
 
[Bonesmart.org] What kind of exercises should I be doing?
Won't be as long as it has been. You will be delighted with the results.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom