What Clothes to Bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dawni I also thought about leisure bras, and went ahead and bought a couple. I don't want "the girls" flopping about :heehee: while I'm walking the halls of the hospital, but also don't want to wear a regular underwire bra, since that would not be comfortable to sleep in. The earplugs is a BRILLIANT suggestion. Having been in the hospital previously, even without washing machines, they are some of the loudest places imaginable, with the PA announcements and machine beeping, and yet I didn't even think to pack some. Brilliant!

@referee54 I am sure my experience will be VERY much the same (although I'll probably substitute Doctor Who, Eureka, and Farscape for Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Happy Days).
Glad I could help I am packing my bag now as I remember things, I am off work on holiday for 2 weeks so once I go back I will only have 4 weeks and time just fly's buy so fast. The bras are a must my puppy or should I say the hole litter have minds of there owen can't have them all over the place in hospital lol x

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have arthritis in my feet, so Sketchers Go-walks are the only shoes I can wear comfortably. My joint class suggests using the hospital slippers will work, but I will be taking my own shoes. Easy to slip on and good traction. PT can be bad enough, you want to be as comfortable as possible.

Boy, was I different! I lived in the hospital gown the whole time. I was so sick from the morphine and narcotics and not getting the pain under control that I didn't care one bit. PT couldn't do much for me because every time I got up, I was dizzy and vomited. I don't think I would have cared if I'd been naked!

I'm hoping things will be different this time since now we know I can't take narcotics. Although, that in itself is scary. This time I'm bringing a short robe and slippers because I intend to have this second TKR be a breeze.

As I prepare to leave the hospital today, I wanted to share the best thing I packed that made my stay so much easier.

I really, really wanted to bring my iPhone to reach friends and family easily and play mindless games on and for music but knew it was not a good idea to leave it in my room when having PT or even napping or stashed in a hiding place out of sight. Just too tempting to people in and out all day.

Then I remembered a passport 'necklace' I own. It was the perfect size to hold the phone and ear buds and charger and I wore it the whole time after surgery under my gown. It was never out of reach or mixed up in the bedcovers. I never needed to interrupt someone to retrieve it for me.

If I was in a really bad way I could immediate distract myself with a podcast or a text to a friend. Or get on BoneSmart and hang out here.

It was really nice not to have to give up the phone or risk it being lost or stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@GimpyGal thanks for that. Hope you have a good recovery x

LTKR 11 May 2016

I'm hips (not knees) but at my preOp the nurse said to bring a dress or skirt to wear ..... well that's a bit of a dilemma as I, like most girls, wear mostly trousers/jeans and my dresses are more dressy. I'm tempted to take a nightgown and dressing gown and wear home what I wear in, ie wide leg jogging bottoms and top. If I get expellled for bad behaviour I'll go home in a nightie!

One thing I've used in the past was the eye mask. It seems that hospital staff need to check you around the clock. Nothing worse than bright lights in middle of the night. Having this made it easier for me to nap night or day on previous hospital stays and even once I was home. I'm planning on picking one up to bring with me.

Another thing I'm packing for the hospital is liquid water enhancer. The hospital always keeps my water container full of icy water and makes sure it's cold and fresh at all times. But I'm not big on plain water, plus the hospital water always tastes strange to me so I always ask for iced tea. They very kindly make me hot tea, give me a large container of ice and plenty of no-cal sweetener. (The tea is just okay, but since I'm such a tea snob and only drink loose leaf teas, I really prefer to skip the iced tea) It's easy to pour water into a cup and add some drops of water enhancer into it. Granted, my taste buds are usually off and I have no appetite, but we must drink and the drops make the water taste better.

@Tabbycat, in the hospital you will have a lot of bandages on your leg (and possibly a drain) right after surgery. Long pants will be great after those come off - if they are big enough in the legs. I had a spinal, so I had a catheter until the next morning. After the catheter was pulled, some of the bandages were taken off, and I got dressed in my shorts and T-shirt. Whatever you take, it needs to be extra comfy and stretchy to pull over that knee.

I like to choose mini rompers

And ear plugs this is my No1 best tip and an eye mask

LTKR 11 May 2016

I just wore the hospital gown in the hospital. My thoughtful PT put another one over my backside to preserve my modesty when we went walking.

I'm sure the nurses here have seen what I'm about to relate. I worked in hospitals in the past and one day I had to go up to a patient floor and got off the elevator and headed to the nurses station. Well, right there for all the world to see was a gentleman in one of those robes, open in the back, leaning over to pick something up from the floor with his back to the door. Quite a picture, hmmm? :heehee: Men just do not seem to have the same modesty as the ladies.

@FlaGranny! what has been seen, can not be unseen:loll:

I was in the hospital for one night and wore the hospital gown. My spinal was slow to wear off making me a fall hazard, so it made using the dreaded bed pan easier. The next morning I wore a tee shirt and a pair of shorts.
I was told not to wear nail polish or lipstick but light make up was ok.

This thread has been helpful as I've been getting ready. I'm going to take some earplugs for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom