• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

What Clothes to Bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipless

post-grad
Country
United States United States
.. I think I will just wear the hospital gown while I'm in hospital, and maybe bring a bathrobe...
@Clipless, I hope that I follow in your shoes, and am doing that well one day post-op. :) By the way, we're virtually neighbors.
I had to stay in the hospital gown after my first TKR. I had the exact same action plan, unfortunately post-anesthesia hypotension kept me confined to bed with head down/feet up for 24+ hours while I received extra fluids. It was a bummer and frightening for my family. By the second TKR my medication sensitivities had been addressed. I was medically stable and determined to get into my own clothes (including underwear and bra) no matter what. Doing so lifted my spirits. I even accomplished an at-the-sink sponge bath, which felt fantastic. I paced myself, the nurses were fine with everything, and I was much happier. Bottom line- it's YOUR surgery and YOUR hospital stay, so find your comfort level and stick with it.

Yes, I am in and around Chatsworth literally ALL the time. I will pm you my info in case you need anything. When you're feeling better let's go for a walk in our beautiful mountains!

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
With my surgeries I had slip on Skechers which I was so happy to have! You need so much help with things, it was nice to at least be able to slip my shoes on myself. The first 24 hours I wore double hospital gowns. One forward, one backward, you can't beat them for access and if they get dirty or stained a nurse can get you another easily. I bought several pairs of stretchy pj pants in solid gray and wore those day 2 and for the next few months! They stretched over my bandage and even over the imbolizer a month later. PT wasn't a problem in them and I just took my shoes off when I was on the pt table. Wirh my original TKR the IV came out the 2nd day so I wore long sleeve tee shirts. I took make up but never wore it, I did wash my hair in the bathroom sink though. The bed head was very bad!

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I have really oily hair, and it's always awful after surgery. My hair only looks clean for a day when I'm well, and after surgery it's worse. I don't know how you managed to wash it in the bathroom sink after a TKR @KarriB ! I don't think I'd be able to without hitting the floor hard. This time I'm bringing some dry shampoo, and also some scarves/bandanas. Since I don't know how I'll feel, or how long I'll be there, I'll either cover it up or spray some dry shampoo in. It seems we girls need our hair looking clean no matter how crappy we feel.....lol. My slippers are fuzzy lined slip-ons with very short backs that never slip off when I walk, and they have a really thick rubbery sole. I couldn't stand any clothing on my leg for a while; I don't know if it was the warmth or the little extra weight, etc. Whatever works best for you, @CaliGirl is what you should do. Maybe bring a couple of different options with you, if you don't use anything you bring, no harm no foul. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I always pack my overnight bag, but leave it in my car until I'm alert, then have it brought in. All I usually pack are some panties (I hate going without panties), a nightgown and robe to go home in, some toiletries, a phone and tablet with their chargers, an extension cord and headphones. Even though I always have a private room, it's nice to shut out normal hospital noises at times. (No matter where the plug is it's always too far away...lol.) I also bring my own pillows. I don't need much since I'm not awake much and don't always use my tablet or phone, but I'd rather bring them just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
My iPad was a life saver! I was on it all the time in rehab. Hospital beds had an outlet in the bed, but not rehab. Powering up was a problem. Nurses weren't real happy that I washed my hair, but I have very short hair that needs some gel in it for style. I was in the hospital/transition unit for 22 days within one month, then not allowed to shower after my infection surgery. Where there's a will, there's a way!

JLP

Country
Spouse would not let me bring my phone or iPad to the hospital as he was afraid they would be stolen. Sure would have made the time seem to pass faster.

OP
OP
CaliGirl

CaliGirl

Country
I will definitely bring my phone and a paperback or two. Wish I had a tablet.

Dry shampoo is a brilliant idea - thank you @lovetocookandsew. I think you are absolutely right about bringing a few different things (nightie, dress, shorts) with the idea that it is better to have them and not need them, than the other way around.

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I loaded up my kindle as I'm a reader, but I couldn't concentrate to read for about two months. My friend has told me this happens to her, but I thought it was because she doesn't enjoy reading as much as I do. Nope, I tried all genres and nothing...

OP
OP
CaliGirl

CaliGirl

Country
@KarriB, say it aint so!:bawl: I *L O V E* to read, but I can completely see how this could happen. I'm going to be an optimist and bring a couple of really brainless romance novels anyway, and hope for the best.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I'm a huge reader; I always have a large stack of books to read, sometimes as many as 30 checked out at once from the library. After my surgery, I couldn't read for a while until I was off pain meds. I'd just fall asleep or read the same sentence over and over and still have no idea what I'd read.......lol.

Tabbycat

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I took a cross stitch kit when I went in for a hysterectomy, what was I thinking !:umm: It was all I could do to flick through a cross stitch magazine. There happened to be a chart for a nurse in there so I made it into a card when I got home and sent it to the nurses on my ward as a little thank you :loveshwr:

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It took me months because I had an infection and required another surgery. The complication left me able to think of little else. Mindless television was the best, I know all the story lines from any Law and Order. My subscription to Netflix and my iPad were wonderful.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
lol... @KarriB I have been recording the entire series of Law and Order on my Genie for after my surgery. I have only seen a couple episodes of that (20 year long!) series so thought it'd be a good time to veg and watch.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Oh-I have Amazon Prime too. I should check to see if it has Law and Order to watch on my tablet in the hospital. But I'll more likely watch short sitcoms for some laughs and a short attention span.

Dawni

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Hi CaliGirl mine is on the 11th May, had my right done 4 years ago as I did then and now I will be using 3/4 length pj botoms and a teashirt, and for my modasty I am going to get a few seamless bras they are much cheeper on e-bay and very cumfy to sleep in, slippers with backs on and a hard sole are a must.x

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

referee54

omega
Country
I will definitely bring my phone and a paperback or two. Wish I had a tablet.
I did the same---I had some books that I very much wanted to read, but the pain meds and the energy drain made that it too much for me. I slept most of the time.

I loaded up my kindle as I'm a reader, but I couldn't concentrate to read for about two months.
I had the "brain fog" for some time. My substitute teacher brought me the essays from my students to grade, but I could not concentrate long---maybe only three essays at a time, as the "brain fog" due to the pain meds made it difficult to focus.

referee54

omega
Country
Here is what I did while I was in the hospital and on the rehab floor---and, for a while when I got home---

1. sleep (while icing and elevating)
2. Nibble on something to eat, do some exercises, then----
3. Sleep some more
4.Wake up, watch some TV, (while icing and elevating) then doze off and
5. Sleep (while icing and elevating)
6. Make a foray to the bathroom, which wiped me out, so I
7. Slept. (icing and elevating)
8. Heel slides, ankle pumps, gentle exercises---then
9. Sleep.
10. Watch TV---either reruns of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, or Happy Days or Law and Order---
11. Sleep.
12. Grab something to eat and hope that it had taste---then start from the top...

That was pretty much the extent for the first several weeks.

Dawni

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Oh don't forget ear plugs seriously my room was above the laundry room, it was ok in the day but at night when all was still those washing machines drove me nuts so this time ear plugs will be top of my list.x

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

linney619

Country
Loose elastic waisted capris and short sleeved pullover worked for me & slipon soft shoes. Faded Glory capris from Walmart come in a lot of sizes are great.
I felt the same way didn't know what to bring I got all my info. from bonesnart.
Good luck on your day.

OP
OP
CaliGirl

CaliGirl

Country
@Dawni I also thought about leisure bras, and went ahead and bought a couple. I don't want "the girls" flopping about :heehee: while I'm walking the halls of the hospital, but also don't want to wear a regular underwire bra, since that would not be comfortable to sleep in. The earplugs is a BRILLIANT suggestion. Having been in the hospital previously, even without washing machines, they are some of the loudest places imaginable, with the PA announcements and machine beeping, and yet I didn't even think to pack some. Brilliant!

@referee54 I am sure my experience will be VERY much the same (although I'll probably substitute Doctor Who, Eureka, and Farscape for Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Happy Days).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom