Well, the knee recovery has gone fantastic but the stomach flu just about killed me!
Knee feels great and I'm just getting by with Tylenol 3 times within 24 hours. Swelling is almost all gone. Range of motion is good but not great at 122 and 0. I would like to get a little more extention. The only challenge has been how week I am. I go for small walks to try to build my strength up and I'm physically exhausted half way thru. I've also lost quite a bit of weight (18 lbs) from this and the flu ordeal so that likely has added to the weakness issue.
PS......for anybody that if fearful of getting on their new knee let me just quench that. When I had the flu and was vomiting I had to get on my knees and was surprised that that was zero pain. So, some good came out of that little "event".....
Okay, I've had my first set back and I'm horribly frustrated. For some reason I can't sleep. It appears that I am stiffening up at night and then when I roll over or try to move it wakes me up with huge pain. Granted this is with no meds but I really wanted to get off them.
Once I wake up and rest for a second and slowly flex my knee it's fine but the constant waking up and lack of sleep is really getting frustrating.
I don't understand why I'm getting so stiff. I ride my excerise bike for 15 minutes in the morning and then walk the small mall before lunch (approximately 1/4 mile). I'm using ice and having no problems during the day but only at night.
Any idea or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My next doctors appointment isn't till mid next week.
At only a month out I'd say that it's the combination of activity and no meds that's making you stiff and uncomfortable at night. I know you want to be off meds but you might want to take something before bed. ARe you taking anything like tylenol at least?
Also, getting a decent night's sleep is notoriously elusive in the first months post tkr.
I don't think you should stress about getting off pain meds so soon. You should use whatever will help you be comfortable, get enough sleep, and be able to move enough to aid recovery. IMO, I think maybe you're worrying too much about getting off the meds.
Thanks very much folks. The reason for trying to get off the meds is for a couple reasons. The first is that I continue to have some stomach issues that I thought originally was the flu but began to wonder if it was the meds instead. I've been off the meds for a week and still have traces of the stomach issue so that's not it. The other reason is I plan on going back to work in a week and want to be as independent as possible.
I did try some Extended Release Acetometephene last night and slept for about 5 hours so that was an improvement. I wouldn't say it was exactly restful but sleep nonetheless.
I really appreciate the words of encouragement and advice. I'm going to call my doctor this morning and maybe get a refill for the Oxycodone and have that as an emergency back up.
Overall, I love how good this knee feels when walking and doing things like stairs. Thanks again for the help
Hi @johnrork Hydrocodone (Vicodine, Norco) is also what I stepped down to as well when getting off of the oxycodone. You are wise to have an emergency supply on hand. Probably will need it after working a long day.
If you are able, ice at work with your leg up when you can. And have you looked in the library for the Tylenol/Ibuprofen cocktail? It does help and is especially great when not able to take the stronger medications. The directions for it are HERE.
I laughed and yet was sympathetic when I read about having to get down on your knees because of the flu. What a tough way to find out your knees no longer hurt.
As for sleeping, it eluded me for months but it finally returned. Just takes time.
I've been taking Hydrocodone for years to manage the pain from my knees. To me, it's not very strong (even at the higher strengths) but I'm sure I'd find out it's more effective than I realize if I stopped taking it. The higher strengths do make me a little sleepy if I don't keep moving (hard to read at those times) so you'll just have to see how if affects you. Good luck and I hope you figure out the right mix to help with your pain.
Well, tomorrow will be 6 weeks post surgery and today I had my appointment with the Doctor and he and I are extremely happy with how my knee is and I get to go back to work beginning next week. Woohooo! Using Tylenol during the day and the Hydrocodone in the evening. May try Benedril (SP?) and Tylenol in the evening instead of the Hydrocodone. Otherwise doing great.
Glad you're doing so well. Will you be able to start back at work part time? You are likely to find your pain levels increase along with your activity at this stage. Not to mention the energy issue.
Thank you. I'm very fortunate and I'm certain I can make my hours at work whatever I need them to be at first as I am still a little weak from the recover (and flu). I will definitely be taking this coming week VERY slow.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.