Walker - With or Without Wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUTCH

Country
United States United States
Since I will be sent home on a walker after my RPKR, I am curious which is better - a walker with wheels or without? I have stairs to negotiate at home. It seems to me that no wheels would be a whole lot more stable.

The ortho store gave me one with wheels today, and I think I may see if I can exchange it.

Opinions?

I was told no wheels...do you have a pre-op visit with PT ? If so, they explain all this..

I was told two things by PT. Wheeled walkers are great for walking outside and if you have a seat then you could sit and rest as needed. I then was told I would not need a walker. Not sure what to say.

I had a BTKR; my progression was from a walker w/o wheels to two crutches---then I used the crutches like canes, and then I went to a cane.

during my father's last recovery from a TKR, he had a walker with wheels.

I wouldn't have thought a walker was safe to use on stairs anyway. Crutches are much better.

As for wheels, I'd suggest two wheeled feet and two nonwheeled feet

two%20wheel%20walker.jpg

My progression from 2 TKR two days apart was from a walker with wheels for 3 weeks to just walking on my own. But I do not have steps to worry about--I have a ramp to the house which is just one story, and I trusted by balance.

With my hip replacement ,I used a wheeled walker for 6 weeks because I could not put but 20% weight on my right leg, then I used a cane for about 1 week.

The advantage in the wheeled walker is that you can just push it along in front of you mostly for stability--with the unwheeled, you have to pick it up to advance.

So guess its really whatever suits you best. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy

I could never figure the walker out--ended up carrying it around a lot since it did not fit through the hallways of my house very well. I never used the thing---I used crutches for two or three days and then just walked around. Kelly

I wouldn't have thought a walker was safe to use on stairs anyway. Crutches are much better.

As for wheels, I'd suggest two wheeled feet and two nonwheeled feet

A two wheeled on was what I was given.

There are several Youtube videos with a couple of different techniques for using a walker on the steps. The wheeled versions were not used on steps.

I was told no wheels...do you have a pre-op visit with PT ? If so, they explain all this..

No pre-op. I'm told I will see him/her in the hospital.

Okay - I also never used the walker on stairs, just held the railing. And I used the walker for a very short time-less than 2 weeks and then a cane - so don't sweat it !

I have both the 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled walker. The 4 wheeled walker can have a tendency to "run away" on you as it is easier to accidentally continue to push it forward when you are taking a step. The two wheeled walker will not "run away" with you as you have to lift the back a little to get it to move smoothly.

I have not had either of my knees replaced yet, but with both hips the hospital PT told me to use the 2 wheeled model until I was not in need of as MUCH pain meds, so that I was more fully aware of what I was doing, thus minimizing the "running away" problems. I would imagine the same would be true for knee replacements.

I have the 4 wheeled walker it has a seat and a basket I like because of the hand brakes. if it starts to roll I can stop it. I can also lock the brakes. I am hoping not to need it for long after my surgery

Welll I've used 'everything' except the arm walkers. Cruches worked the best for me on stairs that didn't have a railing. Rails on stairs worked best for me if they were there. 2 wheel walker was good for me when I couldn't put much weight on my right knee and 4 wheel walker was good for work cuz I could put lunch on the seat or sit down when I got tired. Right now I use a wheelchair cuz I can't put 'any' weight on the right leg.

I had the two wheeled walker until I graduated to a cane. I used the rail and a cane on stairs at first and then just the railing. I could use the walker for my porch step.

I had no choice but to use a 2-wheeled walker. They want you to 'learn' to walk with it, so they want it to glide smoothly, not pick it up and plop it like I did early on.:secretaea:

I went from the walker to walking without any aides at all @ 5-6 weeks out.

In fact, just pulled my walker out...lending it to a friend. who has put off her knee operations for years. She goes in at the end of the month.

I am almost 4 weeks post op from RTKR. I used a 2-wheeled walker in the hospital for a day, then was given the short crutches. Was told to never use walker on the stairs! I pretty much only used the walker for bathroom trips during the night for about a week. Started using one crutch at about 2 weeks, and feel almost ready for my cane--at least on familiar, even surfaces!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom