THR Very swollen thigh and knee area

Thanks a lot for the advise and encouragement guys. I am getting on very well, apart from this continued swelling from my thigh to knee area. I am following the advise of those here, icing and elevating in the correct way. (Despite the fact that I called the hospital ortho dept today to see if this swelling is normal, and was advised it is...and to ice..ice..ice..ice..but NOT to elevate because of risk of dislocation) However, I am intelligent enough to ensure I observe and don't exceed 90 degree rule.

Happy you're getting on well, sorry about the swelling but it does seem to happen with some. Ice is definitely the way to go, pretty much anytime you're not up moving around. It takes time, just like everything else with recovery and our bodies are in control. :ice::thumb:

@gianni the swelling is such an annoyance when it hangs around. I had quite a bit more with my second hip this summer, too.
I found that doing some manual lymph drainage techniques helped immensely and will leave you some to try, if you are so inclined. I would get myself comfortable and elevated and by the time I did them I would fall fast asleep and wake up with some improvements.
The swelling would return but with regular sessions of it, it kept things moving and it would be less and less over time. The reason this helps is that our lymph doesn't move like our blood does, it doesn't move with the beating of our heart, It needs our muscle's movements and breathing to get it moving and even then it only moves in one direction and that is towards the heart.
Our most powerful uptake areas of lymph fluid is in our abdominal area, hence the deep breathing described below.. I hope this helps.

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, or 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 5 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. then as you breath out press gently downward with your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you could get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes seated there in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.

I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will, and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

:mcoffee: good morning...for me.
I hope you are finding the recovery sea is getting a little less bumpy, or at least you've settled into riding the waves as we must until all levels out.
Getting comfortable for long was a struggle for me so there was alot of readjusting positions...sitting until I had to get up, walking until I had to sit down...you know the story I'm sure.

All temporary and well worth the struggles.
Good mojo coming your way for a good week.:ok:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well @gianni We'd love to hear from you, it's been a while. We're curious about your progress and hope you'll share an update soon. Until then....only the best to you!

I'm doing great thanks, it's really amazing to have a good hip again. I can walk as normal now again unaided by crutches or canes. It was a great success and I can recommend the procedure to anyone.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope you continue to do well and you're feeling stronger month by month.
Stop by and say Hi once in awhile. We'll enjoy hearing from you.
Until next time...Cheerio! :wave:
@gianni

Thank you..My new hip is doing great. It feels very "natural" and has enabled me return to full mobility again. It has had a very positive impact on my sense of happiness. I hope this will encourage others about to consider the surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom