THR Upset at anterior scar

DEL2020Dec-14

I had my surgery yesterday. It was supposed to be an incision in the groin, called a bikini cut that could be covered with just a bikini bottom. I found out that wasn’t the case and I have 2 really long incisions. One is about 12 inches or so horizontal in the top of my thigh and the other is straight down the front of my leg. One of my big money sources is as a model and brand ambassador so my appearance is super important. I lost my job as a nurse and now I can’t work again in this field either. I don’t know why he made the cuts the way he did but I’m super depressed about it and can’t stop crying. No one gets it because they don’t understand how my appearance is my livelihood and just think I’m being ridiculous and shallow. I can’t imagine ever even wearing shorts or a swimsuit ever again in public. If I had known that would happen, I might have chosen to postpone surgery as now I don’t know what to do for work. I went to making 6 figures a year to now not having any options. Has anyone had any scar repair that eliminates the scarring? I can’t get a tattoo over it for over a year so that isn’t an option and most photographers won’t hire. I’m angry he didn’t disclose this as an possibility. He is only one of three surgeons in the country that supposedly did the bikini cut, so I was thrilled he was in my area.

:welome:Welcome to the healing side! Congrats on your new hip!

Here is some info on minimizing scars -
https://bonesmart.org/minimizing-surgical-scars/

Please read through the Recovery Guidelines and if you have any questions let us know. We‘ll do our best to advise. Hopefully your pain is well managed and you’re resting comfortably.

Wishing you all the best as you begin your healing journey. :)

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Please don't worry about scarring right now. In most cases the scar fades to a very faint line. Focus on healing and regaining your mobility. Right now all looks bleak. But this is just the beginning of your recovery journey. Relax and recover.

You might also want to look into this product from one of our partners - Active Skin Repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you had such a nasty surprise after your surgery, and I am wondering what the surgeon has explained to you about it? If I read your post correctly, you have 2 separate incisions on one leg? My first thought was that the surgeon must have needed more room to access your hip joint?

Please give it some time, the scars can heal very nicely. I may be very naive about it but couldn't the scars be airbrushed while the healing is doing it's magic?

I don’t know why he made the cuts the way he did but I’m super depressed about it and can’t stop crying.

I'm so sorry, I hate to think of you crying and being so upset, it's early on in your recovery, try to rest, use plenty of ice and I hope you feel better and get some answers to why the incisions are different than you had expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
@aquaeyes605 - I'm sorry you're disappointed and upset right now, but I'd say that your surgeon probably found that he/she had to use the incisions he/she did, in order to insert your new hip properly, so that you have a good result.

Talk to your surgeon and I think you'll find that's what happened.

After all, you wouldn't want a bikini scar along with a hip replacement that didn't work properly, gave you continuing pain, and possibly needed to be re-done.

Your scars will heal gradually and as they get older they will fade until each is just a thin, silvery line that can easily be concealed with make-up.

Welcome to the healing side and congrats on the new hip. Sorry that you're not happy right now with your incision but they don't always look this way, time definitely heals them up as well as you.

Once you get a little further along in the recovery road you can possibly look into airbrushing and makeup to camouflage your scars. Amazing what they can do now a days.

I saw a show where they had Kat Von D (famous tattoo artist) use makeup to cover her tattoos. If they can cover all of her tattoos, they can cover anything. It was really amazing.

Welcome to the recovery! Sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the scar. Surely the surgeon had a reason he had to make such a big cut. I know right now it can be hard to see the bright side of this but having two functional legs is priceless. I have a very long scar from my first surgery as a kid and they definitely fade over time, specially if you don't have staples. As far as modeling goes your hip scar won't change the fact that you were born attractive, you'll get gigs that don't require you to wear a bikini. Hope you feel better and pay close attention to the recovery advice here it will help speed up your return to walking.

Congratulations on your new hip and welcome to recovery. Despite your shock and upset I hope you are resting comfortably and have great pain control.

Glad to hear you are on the other side of surgery, that is an important milestone.

Wanted to pass along at least one woman (Lara Spencer) who has her pictured plastered over social media in a string bikini, one year after her hip replacement. Her scar (I believe she had an anterior) is invisible. Rather than post a link, if you search for "Lara Spencer in bikini" you will see her most recent pictures.

I am seven weeks out from surgery and my scar looks so much better and is healing nicely (also an anterior). Once your scar starts to heal, there are plastic surgeons/dermatologists you can consult for options. I have had a scar lasered, and was very pleased with the results. There are so many tools that plastics/derm have, if your scars need it after they heal and fade.

My guidance is focus on your recovery in the next coming weeks, and I suspect you are going to be pleased with having your pain gone. I am over seven weeks out from surgery, and I feel like I have a part of my life back (mobility) that I thought was gone forever.

You have a great community of support, cheering you on!

Last edited:
This is an embarrassing question but for the ladies - I had my surgery on Friday. I have had large amounts of bruising in the inner thigh area and labia. Today, I noticed bright red blood from my vagina, similar to a period but I have had a hysterectomy, so that ship has sailed. The office is closed and of course, I will call again first thing tomorrow. But, is there any internal stitches that could have somehow irritated the vaginal wall to cause this? It is moderate bleeding right now.
ETA - I had anterior approach if that matters.

Hi there,
Sorry you’re dealing with this bleeding issue. Personally, I’ve not heard of this in my time here. If it were me, I’d call the office of the OS to speak with whoever is on call. There should be a PA on call, at the very least. I’m assuming you’re on a blood thinner, possibly aspirin? They may advise you stop it until they diagnose the origin of the blood.
I‘m sorry I’m not of more help. Take care and please let us know what you hear.
@aquaeyes605

Vaginal bleeding is not a normal occurrence following a hip replacement. You need to call your surgeon. It doesn't matter that the office is closed. They always have a surgeon on call to answer questions like this. Please contact them immediately, no matter what time of day or night you read this.

Let us know what the surgeon has to say. Quite frankly, I've not ever heard of this happening following surgery, so I'll be interested to know their opinion of what is going on.

Hopefully you have called your Dr office by now. That sounds a bit worrisome and I hope you can update us later today with good news. Sending you some healing and calming vibes while you address this new issue.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads