PKR Unicompartmental knee replacement<

Wow! Nice to hear from you both! You are sooooo encouraging! :console2:
 
That's very good! And good for you for standing up for yourself and complaining! It takes strength to do that!
 
4 months post operative and just starting to 'turn the corner'. Also discovered the shin pain.

The PT explored the area massaging and prodding gently. She thinks that it may well be a Pes Ansurine (sorry spelling hopeless) or goose foot insertion bursitis. The pain is intermittent which I get on 'loading' the leg, but it goes when I start moving. I suspect that it just may well be a result of trauma from the op, but of course no surgeon is going to ever admit that!!!

I have another follow up with the orthopedic department in a couple of weeks. Anyway, lots of icing directly on the Pes Ansurine area truly relieves it. I can walk so much easier now on the whole and visited our beautiful Kew Gardens on Saturday to see the Temperate House. I went on public transport, which was not a joy to behold especially on a Bank holiday weekend. Lots of disruptions, nearly gave up, but having a very stubborn and tenacious streak in me, finally arrived. The gardens were worth it, did lots of climbing up and down spiral staircases. Lots of walking around the gardens, enjoying the rhododendrons and other plants. Knee was a bit sore when I got home, but I iced it several times and it was fine the next day.

I have cut down on all other exercise as Josephine suggested and yes it is enough just to get one's own chores completed, housework, bed making, shopping. I still do some gentle yoga stretching with a strap. Especially those hamstrings. Even showering is an obstacle course, however, it feels like such an achievement to be independent.

Life is looking good now. Next stop my trip to Italy when I had planned to go this spring, but have had to postpone because of the time it is taking to heal.
 
I has Pes Anserine Bursitis - one steroid injection sorted it completely and it’s never returned,
 
@NancyEn it was great to read up on your progress!! It gives me optimism of how good things can turn out! I’m at 3½ weeks since my own PKR so your update helps me visualize what I can expect in another 8 - 12 weeks. Glad you are doing so well. Keep it up!
 
Thank you SuperSnapper for telling me this, I see I did not finish a sentence that I was writing in my post.
I meant to say that I have another follow up in a couple of weeks with the orthopedic team. So am going to ask for an ultrasound to confirm what the PT thinks. Nice to know that one injection could fix it SuperSnapper.
Thank you too NavyGunns. Do take on board all the good suggestions that you may get on this site. They have all been there and done it and lived to tell the tale!!
 
Yes, mine was diagnosed via an ultrasound. It was very painful on movement. I wasn’t promised that the injection would fix it and was ready for repeat treatment but I didn’t need it. I hope you can get treatment for this too.
 
It's now 18 1/2 weeks since my PKR. Am over the moon :spin:My first day absolutely pain free!!!
Had a follow up at the hospital yesterday with one of the registrar's. Prior to my appointment had X-rays of long bones and side views of knee etc which showed everything in perfect alignment. I went armed with a long list of questions which I need answers to including suspected PAB. Took a friend along for moral support. The registrar listened, gave me sensible answers and he has booked me in for an ultrasound. Also getting yet another follow up in 2 months.
Today I spent the whole day walking about and doing all my usual activities. Hey! No pain! Went to an Italian class on public transport this evening and walked home from the station. No pain! I cannot believe it. Whoopee!! It's my first whole day ever without one iota of pain. This is too good to be true. Cannot express my happiness enough.
I also have to say have hardly done any PT, well not much to speak of. Just some stretching and some meditation. Lots of relaxation and feet up with ice gel packs.
Now we shall see if I do have a bursitis or not, feel like a bit of fraud after today. Also must make sure that I don't over do it. Scared in case the pain returns :scare:
 
Last edited:
That’s a great report! You’re doing really well. I forget I even have a knee replacement now and you will too soon.
 
Congrats on your painfree day! You'll be having many more!
 
Thank you nice people for your replies!
Even got out of bed this morning without needing to resort to using either of the crutches!
Just tidied them away in a cupboard. Hope it’s the last that I ever see of them!
The acupressure massage ball looks good too, shall consider getting one. Cheaper than the price one would pay for a massage in London.:yikes:
thanks for all your info.
 
Congratulations on your pain-free status! Just keep in mind that you may still have days where you will experience some pain. It will likely be minor, the product of activity or doing something new, and will generally go away overnight or a day. Your knee sounds like it’s quite happy and will continue to get better!
 
Dear SusieShoes,
Thank you! Definitely not going to take anything for granted and shall continue to be mindful of anything that I do.
I was measured for some new orthotic insoles yesterday, I continue to have problems with the left ankle. Chronic arthritis as a result of a very bad sprain from the days I used to ride a bicycle round London. It was injured over 25 years ago. A physio told me that it had most likely fractured a small ankle bone, and that I had ignored thinking it was just a bad sprain. Young and foolhardy!! Anyway the ankle problem is another story. As my right knee gets stronger and stronger, the ankle should be easier to manage! What is that I have heard said "God never gives you any more than you can handle" :)
 
Hi everyone,
Just checking in nine months after right PKR.
Am doing well.
In celebration of feeling so good I spent 9 days in Italy.
Had a great time and learned from 6 weeks twice a week group physio prior to going away, to pace myself.
While away, never walked so much and am happy to say was knee pain free.
Just a few aches when I had overdone it, but a short rest and a macchiato set me up again.
I am still walking with a cane, but that is not for the knee, it’s for the chronic osteoarthritis in left ankle from old fracture. I tend to overcompensate on outer left ankle for which I have orthotics. The cane keeps me straight and stops me ‘rocking’ from side to side, which can put a lot of stress and pain on left outer hip area.
Am now having physio to strengthen that ankle and hip area.

Otherwise am feeling reborn.
Back home I go swimming once a week, gym once a week and continue with yoga.
Ooh! Even hired a bicycle while I was in Italy.

Just to say thank you to everyone here, and I have recommended this site to anyone that I meet who is about to undergo knee or hip replacements.
God bless, peace and love.
 
Last edited:
Oh, what a wonderful post! Just goes to show everyone that it does get better as time goes on!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom