Guest viewing is limited

THR Typical Recovery Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I can thank my dad for those genes!!
I hear ya on that one. I just had a major cardiac scare in July and have had both hips replaced. Exercised all my life, healthy eating. All down to genetics! Guess we can't chose our family!
 
I certainly have my mom to thank for the majority of my genetic windfall--wide feet with high arches, borderline high Blood Pressure, big nose, introverted personality, slow metabolism, bad eye sight...:whistle:

The hips, however, are all dad. My dad, my brother and I have all had the same hip symptoms during our life. I carried more weight than each of them, so mine wore out first.

I have been borderline high on blood pressure for several years. My last visit with primary care prior to my first hip surgery he finally put me on meds for it as a precaution. He put me on the lowest dosage he possibly could and my BP went way down. In recovery from the first surgery they actually kept me longer in recovery because my BP was trending pretty low. In between surgeries I had actually stopped taking the medication and my BP stayed down. However, in the lead up to surgery #2 it started to go back up, so we all agreed I would go back on the meds. I say all that to illustrate how the stress of surgery, both physical and mental, can have such a big effect on you.

Keep an eye on that BP and good luck on your continued recovery.
 
@JanetL Good for you! You are doing very well now. Yes I believe stress can affect your blood pressure for certain. Make sure you take good notes on what meds you tolerated well as you may have surgery in the future
And can look back at what worked for you. So glad you are feeling better and getting around with cane. Awesome!
 
Hi again everyone! I'm just over 3 weeks post op and doing very well. I am basically off pain relievers except for the occasional Tylenol and getting around well with a cane. I can take a few steps without the cane, but definitely not ready to let go of it yet.

My question is for all you side sleepers out there. Anyone who had the anterior approach want to weigh in on when you slept on your side comfortably? My operated side is still too tender to sleep on; however, when I lie on my non surgical side, I'm okay at first, but can only sleep about an hour or two before pain wakes me up. I sleep with a pillow between my legs and the hip pain does disappear immediately when I roll to my back. Of course, I then wake up with a backache from sleeping on my back all night. You just can't win, lol! [emoji6]

I do miss side sleeping and hoping I'll be able to sleep that way soon! Side sleepers, what has been your experience with this?


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Greta71 I am 2 days ahead of you. It has only been the last few days that I have finally gotten more comfortable on my sides. It takes a crazy amount of pillows and it is not usually for a long period of time. Previously I was always a side sleeper and a flip-flopper, so I had problems much like you.

I may not be a great source for you and I will explain why. This is my second hip replacement this year. I was posterior approach. For the final 3-4 months before my first replacement I could no longer sleep in my bed. I could not sleep on either side due to pain. I realized that the only place I could be comfortable for more than 30 minutes at a time was my recliner. I decided to start sleeping there. I slept there until around 2 weeks after having my right hip replaced. It took me another 2 weeks before I felt comfortable enough to roll onto my non-op side for a few hours at a time. So you see I had 4+ months of sleeping in the recliner to adapt to sleeping on my back. It was probably about 3 more weeks before I could truly sleep on the operated side. I was able to simulate sleeping on the op side a bit earlier than that by using a full length body pillow underneath my non-op side. This time I got back in bed on day 3. Real quality sleep has still been pretty elusive, but it is getting better.
 
I was always a side sleeper and I'm sorry to say that it's never been the same as it was before the surgeries. I can only sleep for a couple of hours on my side before it's too uncomfortable and I revert to laying on my back. I've found myself waking sometimes on my stomach in the middle of the night after this last surgery and that's weird too. I used to be better padded (overweight) so maybe that's part of it as well?

ETA: Both of my surgeries were the lateral approach, so maybe laying on the incision site plays a part in this as well?
 
Hi all, I have a new question. Since the surgery, my foot on the operated side will intermittently feel like it's falling asleep. Moving around or changing positions does not help. It usually lasts about an hour or two and comes on suddenly. It is driving me a little crazy! I spoke to my surgeon who said that this symptom was coming from my back and not the hip. I never had this before the surgery though. Anybody else experience anything similar? Thank you in advance!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Anyone experience feeling extremely light headed and woozy due to the pain meds? I've been taking 5mg of oxycodone and one extra strength Tylenol every 6 hours and it is not agreeing with me at all. The doc suggested cutting out the oxy and just sticking to Tylenol. Anyone else switch to just Tylenol this early? (I'm 5 days post op) My pain level has been in the 1-2 range since coming home.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543

Yes oxycodone made me lightheaded. I added Tylenol to help with the pain and that made me sleepy. At my last appointment my surgeon changed me to hydocodone every 8 hours. The lightheadness is gone but now I get nauseous instead.


08/12/2016 THR
09/10/2016 REMOVAL of THR AND PLACEMENT OF ANTIBIOTIC SPACER
11/16/2016 REVISION THR
 
Since the surgery, my foot on the operated side will intermittently feel like it's falling asleep.
So sorry you are having this issue. As a person who suffers from chronic sciatica I have this feeling constantly. And my lower back issues did kick up post LTHR.

I worked with a very good physio on my lower back. If you start doing VERY GENTLE hamstring stretches from a seated position you may get relief from this. Start very slowly and gently. Your hamstrings may be very tight and the sciatic nerve might need a bit of releasing. Lower your chin toward your chest when you do the stretch - more release.

Note, I am not medical - just describing what worked for me.
 
This question is for those who have recovered completely from their hip replacement. I know everyone heals at different rates, but I'm trying to get a general idea of how long it was before you had no more pain from the surgery regardless of how minor. In other words, when were you 100% pain free with no more aches or soreness and went about your daily activities without thinking about your hip?

Note to moderators: can you change the thread headline to "typical recovery time" since others might have the same question? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Greta. Thinking back....and it's a long time now!!....it took about 9 months before I was completely medication-free. By around 5 months, I was off of everything except celebrex and an occasional tylenol. But I stayed on celebrex for several months longer to deal with all the soft tissue healing going on. Remember that you won't be completely healed for at least a year following surgery. For many of us that can be even longer. And remember that if you have any other issues....arthritis in other joints, bursitis, back pain, etc....this is all independent of the hip surgery. Also remember that as healing progresses and we get more active, it's easy to bring on tendonitis issues, making it hard to be free of aches and soreness.

But in general, I think most of us are feeling pretty darn good around the 5-6 month mark.

Sharon
 
I am at 4 weeks 3 days and I have just been able to sleep on my side the last week or so. What a relief. Still not sleeping very long, but at least no more back sleep all night.

I had the Anterior approach also on Dec 12.
 
Greta71,
Everyone heals at a different rate, it is never fast enough. You should start feeling significantly better at 3 months, some feel better sooner some later. It takes a full year to recover 100%.
Where are you in THR recovery??
 
@Greta71 Literally every THR is different - even on the same person. My LTHR recovery took over one year. Recovery from RTHR was a matter of months. I still get twinges sometimes in both hips but no real pain. And other than talking about them here I really don't think about my "new" hips anymore.
 
I agree that every hip is different, even on the same person. I had my right hip replaced April 26th (9 months ago). I had my left hip replaced November 8th (almost 11 weeks ago). Every day I feel like I make progress. I am finally starting to feel like I can bend down and pick up things off the ground...a big deal to someone who has two kids and under 10.

I also would suggest that you don't underestimate that variable that is the mental side if recovery. Quite often the thing that that gets in the way for me is mental. Whether that is fear, anxiety, guilt or habit is hard to determine. What I can advise is that eliviateing pain made a difference for me. Chronic pain was exhausting. Dealing with the aftermath of surgery was nothing in comparison.
 
Regarding sleeping on your side, I had an anterior hip replacement in December. I think it was about 3 weeks post-surgery that I first slept on my non-operated side and 4 - 4.5 weeks for the operated side. At 5.5 weeks I still have a lot of trouble sleeping and tend to wake up at least every 2-3 hours to change positions, but my knee is flaring up from RA and gets stiff and painful to move, so that's at least half of the problem. I think without that issue I'd be sleeping decently on one side or the other, still using a pillow between the knees on both sides.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom