• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Ankle Total Ankle Replacement 9-12-19

Jimmer

Country
United States United States
well the ankle is doing good, range of motion is getting a little better, back to driving the truck and the pain is getting less. See the doctor on jan 8th and thinking that I will be released from his care. Have about 2 or 3 weeks of PT left and then I will be on my own. All and all I am happy with the progress.

OP
OP
robyn9690

robyn9690

Country
Hi Jimmer,
I'm happy to hear that you are progressing. I'm into my second month of PT and I still have a limited range of motion for the up and down position. I see the doctor on 12/19 so I'm wondering if I'll be on my own after that. I've only been going twice a week for PT and sometimes only once a week due to the holidays and scheduling. I have less pain, it's mostly on the top of my ankle (incision area) and some numbness on the top of my foot and big toe. The PT therapist keeps reminding me that my stiffness is normal for my timeline post surgery. I guess everyone is different! Even if I never regain the full range of motion, I'm happy that the pain is not like pre-surgery days!!!

Larryr

Country
Hi,
Sounds like we are experiencing very similar pains and swelling. I too still have pain on the top of my ankle at the incision area that is preventing me from full flexibility while walking. Numbness and some nerve ending tingling is still ongoing In my foot.
I see my doctor tomorrow and will ask him about these concerns as I approach my three month post surgery next week to see if he thinks I’m being too impatient with recovery. He gave me a script for 12 PT sessions which will end this Friday. The therapist did tell me she will give me exercise instructions to do at home.

OP
OP
robyn9690

robyn9690

Country
UPDATE: I forgot to post my update from my last doctor's visit on 12/19. He took more x-rays and told me everything looked great, no bone overgrowth on the implant. I still have only limited flexibility for the range of motion for up and down but he told me to stop the PT and just continue with exercises at home. He said things should continue to get better over the next few months. My next appointment will be with him on February 20th. I do have some slight discomfort when walking but not painful. I have swelling when I have my foot down but I still wear the compression sock during the day. I can't believe it's been three months already and I look forward to further progress.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for checking in @robyn9690 ! Sounds like you are doing really well for so early out. All that swelling and discomfort should continue to ease and your flexibility will increase with time. Well done!

Larryr

Country
Hi Robyn,
Interesting that your doctor told you to stop going to PT. I had my last PT last week and was wondering if I should continue to go to the therapist when I return home after the holidays or just continue at home, I think I will follow your lead and do them at home.
My daughter’s home, whom we are visiting during the holidays has steps, and it is a challenge to use them, since it flex’s my ankle in the direction that is the most painful move. Maybe that’s a good thing; no choice if I want to sleep in a bed. LOL

OP
OP
robyn9690

robyn9690

Country
Hi Larry,
Thank goodness I haven't encountered too many steps so far. I had a holiday event to attend and had to walk down a few flights of stairs. Going down was fine but I took the elevator back up. Walking is getting easier so my flexibility is getting better. My PT therapist advised my surgeon that he could get around 10-12 degrees upward movement so the doctor thought that was fine. Even though I could walk out of PT with that much flexibility, I feel that it goes back to 0-5 degrees in the morning or if I've been sitting for any length of time. I guess in time, that will start to loosen up and stay that way. I had two months of PT (twice a week) and I guess the doctor felt that was enough. Apparently they are concerned about the ankle locking up in the first few weeks. Day by day......

Jimmer

Country
Robyn, Sounds like you are getting better and that is good news. I feel like I am slowly making progress. But this weekend we had our family Christmas weekend and came home today. Was on my feet a lot and I can tell by the swelling, the most swelling I have seen so far. Going to do my exercises at home and try keep it elevated more now that I am home. Go back to PT on Thursday where they are working on flexibility, strength and balance.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Great to hear the progress of all our Ankle Warriors. We're getting quite a group of you these days. I'm so glad you are able to share your experiences. This surgery is growing and we welcome all the recovery information you all provide. It will be so helpful to others who follow you in surgery. Thank you!

Jimmer

Country
Went to doctor yesterday, every thing was going good until about 2 weeks ago. Started to get pain on the inside of ankle and a lot more swelling. He told me that I aggravated the tibialis posterior tendon and that I should back off the stretching ex. until it feels better and to elevate and put ice on it. Things where going so good and then a little set back, so hoping this gets back to normal soon. Jamie, you are right, this site helps a lot and its nice to see how everyone is doing. Thank you everyone for taking the time to sharing your progress.

OP
OP
robyn9690

robyn9690

Country
Hi Jimmer!
I'm so sorry to hear about your setback. At least it doesn't appear to be any actual damage to the implant. Tendons can heal and the long term results are still worth a little bit more healing time and patience. Please update us on your progress.

I'm still trotting along. I'm still stiff at times, specially in the morning but I can pretty much walk normally now. I don't have full range of motion, but what I do have at this point in time, will work for me. I'm assuming this will still get better over time along with the swelling. I still wear the compression sock during the day and feel more comfortable with it on. I don't see the doctor until next month so I'm on my own for now.

Jimmer

Country
Well the tendon is feeling better and I am doing my stretching ex. again. Have stiffness and swelling yet and when I walk I do have a little limp when I walk out of the step with my new ankle. Thinking in time things will get better. Do not see the doctor again until early summer. I still have some pain but very little compared to before the replacement.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Jimmer ... glad to hear there have been some improvements. You know, I see you have never started your own recovery thread for your ankle replacement. You really should have that to properly track your progress, not only for yourself but also for others who want to read your story.

Would you like me to copy some of your update posts over to create one for you?

Jimmer

Country
Jamie, I have know ideal how to start my own thread, I jumped on this tread because everyone was talking about ankle replacement and it is very nice to read how everyone is doing with the same operation. If you could create one for me that would be nice. Thank You

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Jimmer.....sorry that I'm just now seeing your post. I will create a thread for you for your ankle replacement and you can fill everyone in on your details there.

Here's a link to your new thread:

Last edited:

Jimmer

Country
Thank You Jamie !!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member